How to know if I can move up...

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to figure out if I'm ready to move up to higher stakes. I have the bankroll to support a step up, but not sure if I am good enough.

How do you determine if you are good enough to move up to more expensive sit n goes? What about for tournaments (this is probably harder)?

e.g. What is a large enough sample size for sit n goes and for tournaments? And what kind of profit would I need?

I would appreciate any advice that you have to provide. Thanks in advance!

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho if I had enough funds I'd played in cash games high stakes without much loosing. Now I can play only $0.01-0.05

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how you feel on the current stakes you are at. Have you been beating them? Are you winning on a majority of your sessions? Also, calculate the amount of sit n goes you do daily. You should be disciplined on the amount you play daily/weekly so you don't run into tilting and it's mentally healthy if you do. Once you figure out the number you play weekly, see how much you make monthly and then compromise. Is this a hobby or I'm trying to make a payment? Once you figure that out, see if the amount you are making is enough for your goal.
If the cashouts are too small compared to your bankroll, then go ahead and move a step up but not too far! Figure out a number you'll fall back on if you hit a downswing and grind again.
Get on youtube and find the stakes you are interested in and see if you learn something new. Watch a few games so your mind becomes accustomed to the new numbers to decline any sort of anxiety. Good luck!

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you regularly beating the level you are at now?

I do think you answered your own question though. If you aren't sure, then you aren't ready.

If you play $5 sng's try mixing in a few $10 ones here and there to see how you feel. Moving up doesn't need to be an all or nothing type of thing.

zarrmonster

zarrmonster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to agree with therealslomo in that you probably answered your question when u yourself are having your doubts.

But with that said, If it were me and I was winning regularly say at the .50/1.00 games then I probably would try maybe the 2.00/5.00, but more than likely since I am a whimp, I probably would test my waters in the 2.00 games just to check out the playing field and go from there.

But in the end you are the best judge on how comfortable you feel about your poker skills.

Just my 2 cents.

P

pata2004

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not sure so don't do that.