How to handle large downswings playing micro poker

M

manitoba420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have ups and downs. Sometimes it seems like the downs last longer than the ups, but variance is part of the game live or online unfortunately. In the month of August alone I cashed out a good amount off 888 and ACR, however it seems after that I have fell into a bad downswing where I just keep getting horrible cards or 1 outed on the bubble, before the final table, you know lol. I know it happens and we need to just be patient and wait for the switch to get flipped.

How do you as micro stakes players deal with long downswings, keep a positive outlook on things? How long of a break is a good break? How do you know when to take a break? Any of your insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The author of this article is the trainer of the Russian-speaking community Exan13, at one time she helped me a lot. I hope you will find it useful. He divided tilt into several types, and it is your case that is described here.

Tilt

This type of tilt is cumulative. Emotions accumulate days, weeks, months, or even years of bad luck. As a result, a vicious circle is formed - you are in a constant state of tension, or at its threshold. Negative dispersion very quickly causes tilt, which in turn degrades the quality of the game, and this, in turn, causes even greater dispersion and so on. Emotions remain until the next gaming day and everything starts there from the beginning.

The negative dispersion streak is not the cause of tilt - it exposes the hidden causes of false beliefs in your mind .. The “when everything is bad” tilt usually consists of the other types of tilt listed in this article. You need to diagnose from which components your “bad” is formed and work through each of them.

When you are in a serious accumulated tension, it seems to you that you are unlucky all the time, although in fact very often you play not optimally, under the influence of emotions. If you notice a strong complaint about dispersion - it means only one thing - you tilt. In this case, it is juicy that you need to start working hard on the game and psychology, sort out the distributions, look for mistakes, read Tendler.

Focus on results, not quality

It is very easy to be subject to tilt if you focus on the result, and not on the quality of the game. This is a big mistake in setting internal priorities, which will cost you dearly.
At a distance, your earnings depend on the quality of your game - which means you should focus on this for short periods, and by improving the quality of the game you will increase your earnings. It doesn’t matter whether you won the hand or not, it only matters how well you played. If you played well, it means there is no point in getting upset, it's poker, there will always be victories and defeats, the distance has taken into account your good game, and when your time comes, you will be rewarded. You can not affect the variance, you can only play the distance and affect the quality of your game. If you lose, ask yourself, did you play well? If so, be satisfied with yourself regardless of the result. If not, find the error, figure out how to play, and write down the output for later repetition. Rejoice that your mistake indicated a weakness in the game, and now you can fix it.

Proper rest

When you lose for a long time, it is as if fog is hanging over you in ordinary life, you are in a bad mood, you are constantly in thought and annoyed by loved ones. All this only contributes to a worsening of the situation, an increase in the level of tilt. Proper relaxation is an important part of proper work. You need to learn how to forget about poker during your vacation, here various practices like:
- Let off steam while recording on paper or computer
- After the session, write down your poker and psychological mistakes, and think about them in the time allotted for this time in your work schedule
- Take a break for 1-2 weeks

usmc2doc

usmc2doc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have ups and downs. Sometimes it seems like the downs last longer than the ups, but variance is part of the game live or online unfortunately. In the month of August alone I cashed out a good amount off 888 and ACR, however it seems after that I have fell into a bad downswing where I just keep getting horrible cards or 1 outed on the bubble, before the final table, you know lol. I know it happens and we need to just be patient and wait for the switch to get flipped.

How do you as micro stakes players deal with long downswings, keep a positive outlook on things? How long of a break is a good break? How do you know when to take a break? Any of your insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance

A lot of these tumultuous emotions can be avoided if we remember to stay logical and level headed. If you feel the need to walk away, then walk away until you feel as though you can objectively analyze where the mistakes were made. If you feel that you played the hand, tournament, game, to the best of your ability, then you chalk it up as a loss. Keep this thought in your mind "luck will increase and decline, whether good or bad...but my level of skill should continuously rise...I'll get them next time" :cool:

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Take a long break, dissipate the depression and back for more. Game. don't take micro so serious :)

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Personally, I stop playing for my money . I start playing freerolls in different poker rooms . And when I win money in freerolls , I start playing on them . Sometimes I quit playing in the poker room in which I lose . In General, everyone feels differently and therefore there is no absolute advice for everyone !

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It helps not to give a f and keep playing your game sometimes.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always try to line up something to do directly after the game of cards. I like to "plan" to watch a new episode of a favorite tv show or play a fun video game, maybe go out to eat. Whatever it is you enjoy to do. This helps me look at the inevitable overwhelming losses as "win/win" because if I play well and lose it is much easier to shrug my shoulders and say something like "Oh well I did my best, time to go eat some delicious food I will enjoy!". I seem to play better and feel better about the game all around by following this ritual.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fortunately that has never happened to me.I´m just a recreational playier .If I were in your situation ,first I´d take a break then I´d be back playing freerolls ín order to feel more confident.I hope you´ll feel better .

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes a bad streak can last up to 2 months, so it is very important mental force, to support those bad beats and keep playing optimally.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My downswings dont usually last too long, thankfully :) I try to either switch things up a little (like playing BLASTS or something) and/or play super tight for a while.

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have dealt with enough bad beats to the point you're sick of playing, that's the defining moment. I find gambling for real money several times a month, is all I need for the gambling bug. I enjoy playing micro tables and will offer some advice. First off, expect more bad beats at the micro tables. I'll play a flush and straight draw every time, for pennies. I have just recently figured out a huge weakness I have. I like to play small pot poker, but expect to win a lot of money. In order to try and win on top of the small pots, I'd make reckless straight and flush draw calls. Then, I'd wonder why I couldn't get ahead. My betting patterns weren't adding up to my expected bankroll amount. I believe in luck, and starting a good run at the micro tables. is a great feeling. A big factor is also playing for long periods. This is probably my main downfall. I'll have a certain amount of money and lose, then try to compensate. That's pretty basic gambling. It's easy to become overwhelmed after knowing you've been playing poker for half the day, only to break even or win a few bucks. The strongest advice I've been given is making higher bets won't change your luck. I think I actually need to make a deposit, so I can remember it's hard earned money I'm playing for. I will start by attempting to cash out. That's obviously the objective to online poker. My need to play until I have everyone's dollar, overpowers my desire to cash out. This is something I will focus on.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I follow strict BRM to deal with downswings or most of the times with my bad games and choises during the sessions , lol . I try to study , improve my decisions , find new tricks , play more aggressively when needed , I play many freerolls . So my bankroll in various rooms is small but stable , it's not getting reduced to zero like in the past :)

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play on lower stakes until you feel your game is normal again and your trust is back. Also you could take a few days off. Another thing you can try is to play a new format, say cash games. Also it helps if you read/watch poker videos, it builds motivation. Gl!

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What goes up must come down, Im sure if your cashing at ACR you got a hold on things. I used to find comfort in playing at different sites. Or take the much needed break. It will be there when you get back and the glitches might be done by then. good luck

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

A break is only necessary if you're tilting due to how you're running. If you feel you need a break... take one. Maybe while on a break use that time to read up on TILT &/or more poker strategy stuff. Personally if I feel I'm playing good, I just keep on playing as I typically would.. irregardless of the results. It's the decisions that matter... not the results.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands