How to Handle Being Card Dead Mid-Tournament

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would like to hear thoughts about how to handle being card dead at a point in a tournament where you have 30-40 BBs (I think that's about the range of BBs I'm thinking about).

It's different than early on when you are deep-stacked and blinds are small, and also different from being short-stacked (regardless of the blinds).

I would think that the main focus while being card-dead is to wait for position (dependent upon your opponents' style of course) and try and leverage that position since you don't actually have the hand strength.

I also try to be very mindful that I have too many chips for a shove, and not enough chips to speculate. I also have to avoid seeing "great hands" that really aren't great because I'm so desperate to get a decent hand.

Thoughts?

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is where patience comes into play. When I find myself in this position, which is a lot lately, I know that a hand will come where I can hopefully get back some BB's I've let go by. Picking the best spot depends on a handful of variables such as bigger stacks on my left, which I believe is the most important, since trying to grab some blinds and antes are part of staying within reach of a cash. Also patience for the stars to align for a smaller stack to shove while holding a nice A10-std or better in position. Picking off a big-stack-bully or two in the BB can keep them from doing it every orbit. When I find myself within reach of the $-bubble and a shot at making the final-tbl I keep repeating to myself: DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID! That was advice I took from Daniel Negraneu.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its never easy when card dead later in a event. Sometimes all you can do is hold on until something shows up and other time you can use you very tight image to steal some chips if the right situation presents itself. The best advise I can give is this, look for spots that you can make a play and win some chips.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands