How to get from final table to first place!

T

TexasConnie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. I've been playing poker now for right at a year. I play mostly tournaments, but some cash games. I am a very conservative player admittedly. I can almost always make it to the final table, but can't seem to get all the way to first place. Any tips, suggestions, insight, etc that you would like to share with me?

One dealer told me that at final table I should only be playing hands when I'm dealt either pocket pairs or suited connectors.

Another dealer totally disagreed with that and said that I should only be playing hands that can beat Q7.

Thanks in advance!

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play with premiun cards, study the opponents of the table, be aggressive, and avoid the slowplay

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just keep playing solid poker and with some run good, you will sometimes get there. There's no magic formula.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just taking a guess here, but a good tournament player will make the Final table in 10% of their tournaments (obviously with different variables affecting this such as field size). Of that 10% you should be winning 2-3% of the time. So It's alright not to win at first, just keep making those final tables!

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play big hands and see flops without risking your stack. They key is to never risk your stack if you can avoid it. Online we see so many hands, there may be that better hand a few away. Patience at the final table is key, everytime I make that AK call and risk it at final table when another could have dropped, I kick myself. So make sure to fold hands when others are heads up, let em fall!!!

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I've been playing poker now for right at a year. I play mostly tournaments, but some cash games. I am a very conservative player admittedly. I can almost always make it to the final table, but can't seem to get all the way to first place. Any tips, suggestions, insight, etc that you would like to share with me?

One dealer told me that at final table I should only be playing hands when I'm dealt either pocket pairs or suited connectors.

Another dealer totally disagreed with that and said that I should only be playing hands that can beat Q7.

Thanks in advance!

i no think there is any magic formula... i like the advice i have received which is stick with what got you that far .. BUT be cognisant of stack sizes and payment ladders, which at times means take zero chances

if you do find a magic solution please share with us :eek:

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play solid and aggressive. Watch how the players play and try to avoid getting into 3 way all in's if you can and with some run good you'll cash! The less players that's in the hand the better!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid all ins get your chips with post flop play if you can. Study your opponents behaviors ONLY when hands are revealed don't watch every hand you will exhaust yourself....don't play suited Ax below Q. All in with 4 to 1 or better.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid all ins get your chips with post flop play if you can. Study your opponents behaviors ONLY when hands are revealed don't watch every hand you will exhaust yourself....don't play suited Ax below Q. All in with 4 to 1 or better.
Loved everything you said with the exception of telling him not to watch every hand... Poker is a game of information gathering and than using that information to win. If your not watching every hand and paying close attention. Well guess what there is probably someone at the table paying more attention than you are and is gonna win instead of you.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play A + J7ss + 22+ Q8ss + Q9os + J10os + 23ss 56ss 910ss (or os if you do not expect a raise after the flop), in headsup be agressive.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases play aggressively, it will help you not to lose all your chips as blinds are high, and your opponents will try to steal them. Never risk for nothing, but try to see the flop and go ahead, if you caught strong hand.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play what you like:0) but have lots of patients and hope for a little luck:0)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice to you is to play on the tables of a sit-and-go with one table. So you learn to play at the last table. To learn how to beat the last player (heads-zap), play at the tables for two players.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a couple of things, you want to prepare to win before the final table by accumulating chips before you get there. Once you are there you need to be aggressive and know your icm well.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to arrive first is an art that only learns with time, study, practice, a lot of dedication and a bit of luck. It also needs good concentration, focus and physical preparation to withstand the long hours of game and still be at its best in end of session

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Win

Easy win more than you lose. Easy concept.

rocketbox

rocketbox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks in advance!

It's good that you brought this topic to the CardsChat forum. Listening to dealers will get you stuck, quick. Just play aggressively when you have position. Jam big hands when you connect and scoop as many blinds and antes as you can.