How does ante change the game?

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking part in a free tournament now. Usually i play 6 player cash games without ante. I play relatively tight so to say (idk)
I feel like im defensive.

Im playing just as usually but im losing money.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You should loosen up with an ante since you play for more money in the pot. And also pay more money to play.

Imagine if there was no blinds: everyone could fold everything but AA. Didn't have to pay anything to play.

With more antes or blinds (just like high blinds at the end of a tournament) you have to widen your range and play more hands.

You must defend more and should also attack the blind more when in position.

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks!

Well formulated what I was thinking about.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Antes definitely loosen up the game b/c there's more to play for each hand AND if you don't play a bit more and try to steal some pots, you'll get ante'd down or blinded down too fast.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its like 50 used to say "you got to switch your style up and watch the money pile up" or you need to widen your range with antes.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
antes force players to take more risk during a game because the stack decreases faster. you must play more hands than in a game without antes.

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Antes also give you the opportunity to steal the other players antes! When you’re on the dealer button you should really open up your hand range

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Antes definitely put constant pressure on the short stacks. The good thing for them is there's more than just blinds in the pot. The extra tax to play creates a better gambling experience, as there's more at stake. This could also deter a player from sitting out, since the player would lose chips every hand. I mean, it's really just designed to get everyone to pay up. I think that's really the entire point. It's fair.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As antes kick in and blind levels increase your chips become more valuable.

Chechiing

Chechiing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's critical period in a tournament. Watch the increase in Antes and adjust your game accordingly. The usual and most basic method is to tighten up when getting very close to making it in the money (ITM). From there, don't hesitate to grow your stack applying a Tight aggressive play while in position on your opponents. Don't underestimate the power of C-betting on a potential flop.

Ex : PFR w/ QJs as the button. Get called by the BB. Flop comes T59. I'd definitely C-bey everytime on that kind of flop in position.

Your hands have a lot of potential, don't let it go to waste. :)

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High antes in tourney gives you incentive to try and steal the blinds. This is a good thing to try to do with hands that maybe aren't ideal, but can still win if a steal attempt is called (Stuff like AT, suited connectors, etc.). Stealing blinds and antes adds up quickly - you're getting about 2-2.5 BB per successful steal, a godsend when you have 10-15 BB. It can be tricky when a steal attempt fails, however. I personally still need to learn more about it myself.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
antes are forcing players to play and sometimes to make risky moves

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on what type of play you are. Antes may make you play more hands on Hyper turbo games, but on the other ones antes are so small, you could just seat out for few rounds.

Top 10 Games