How do you study poker to improve your skill?

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am at a crossroads in playing poker and don't know where to turn. I need to learn to put my opponents on hands although i can do it somewhat at different times, I need to improve at it. I need to learn what my range is and what range will be best for me. I need to learn more, but I just don't know how to learn this without someone telling me how to study poker. So i am asking you guys how do you study poker. What do you do? Is going over your hands with flopzilla good to do? is it all you really need. How can I get better? what do i need to do? share with me what you do to study poker so I may come up with a Plan that will work for me.
Thanks

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I like watching the pros and reading books they were told to write. I notice they usually don't go into risky bets instead they fold then get them later. This strategy usually works in cash games where blinds are small.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for 9 years. During this time, I realized that patience is a key skill that will allow you to enjoy the game and make a profit. Regular study is also an integral part of a successful player. In addition, you need to accumulate experience every day. This will allow you to effectively develop your intuition and improve your skills.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The single most important factor to progress in this realm is experience. The more situations you encounter at a poker table, the more apt you are to make the correct decisions when you are put into a similar situation;Take notes, Analyze the mistakes you make, you can also read books and watch videos about the theme.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone approaches learning differently. Watching a video, analyzing your base, analyzing controversial game situations, practicing with a trainer, flopzilla, and so on. All individually. What will bring you the best result, no one will say. Ideal training session with a coach, but it requires money. I analyze controversial hands in my game, watch videos of offline tournaments and online tournaments with analysis of interesting hands.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The big problem of any method of poker lessons is they aren't made by people that have a minimum didaticism. At the most times the learning process in all methods I know are confused, for words being used in another meaning, for a bad choice of the sequence of matters to teach newbie players. So I research concepts that I doesn't know very well, study them and the best, studying I have some good information volume to be able to make a good quality hand review.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand history review will help loads with learning ranges, if you have a hud you can learn to profile players through their stats to give more accuracy when applying ranges. Once you have practiced applying ranges through hand history you can start thinking about it in real time games and it becomes more natural the more you do it. When playing play attention to hands your not in and try to apply ranges and try put the players on a hand or range and if it goes to showdown see if your right.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
the best way for me is to play. take your time and pay attention at the table and study what is happening right in front of you.
to me thats the best way to study...

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way for me is to play. take your time and pay attention at the table and study what is happening right in front of you.
to me thats the best way to study...

No that's just playing poker. Only by reviewing your play do you find your leaks and learn to play better.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch better players helps me a lot. Twitch has many players streaming there play. Learn from previous hands and see what works well and what’s the ideal path to take. Learn from mistakes by going over big hands. There are many training sites as well. Some offer free trials and videos. There are many videos available on YouTube as well.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching on tv and Youtube to see different play and strategies is a start. Then move into a small home-game, then take it to a live cash game, like a 1/2 no limit game.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep a cool head is what I think determines having better chances of winning. If you run into a bad beat that crushes 60% of your stack, pick yourself back up and dust yourself off and try again. I see way too many players that will shove on the very next hand after they lose a big one. I see them do that and most of the time it just doesn't work. Work to regain your focus after you take a tough beat.

FearNoRiver

FearNoRiver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you study poker to improve

i watch how other players are betting and what position is doing better at certain sites

FearNoRiver

FearNoRiver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you study poker to improve

i watch how other players bet and whitch position seems to get more pays than others

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning

I am at a crossroads in playing poker and don't know where to turn. I need to learn to put my opponents on hands although i can do it somewhat at different times, I need to improve at it. I need to learn what my range is and what range will be best for me. I need to learn more, but I just don't know how to learn this without someone telling me how to study poker. So i am asking you guys how do you study poker. What do you do? Is going over your hands with flopzilla good to do? is it all you really need. How can I get better? what do i need to do? share with me what you do to study poker so I may come up with a Plan that will work for me.
Thanks

I joined pokerstars school about a month ago. There are lots of articles, courses, free tournaments for beginners, and a bankroll challenge for entries into the tournaments. I think its helping me.