How do you react after a guaranteed prize?

L

laurao07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

When it’s on a period in the tourney that is guaranteed you will win a prize, how do you react?
Do you still playing more conservatively or do you take more risks? And why?
What is the better strategy to get on the final tables?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume, you are talking about the time just after, the bubble has burst in an MTT, so that everyone is now assured a min-cash. Like for instance 72 places pay, and now there are 70 players left. At that time of the tournament ICM is relatively insignificant, so you need to play almost like, it was a cash game or early in the MTT. The reason for this is, that the final table is still far away, and the next several payjumps usually not all that important. So compared to on the bubble you can widen your calling ranges. On the bubble its a disaster to get into a "coinflip" situation like all-in preflop with 99 vs. AJ for all your chips, but just after the bubble not so much.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Different stages of a tournament require different approaches but I assume this is not what you are asking.
I assume you are considering playing it safe until ITM and after that making some more bold moves?

In my opinion this more state of mind type of question than strategic one. One should ask oneself - what is my objective in this tournament - to win it or to make it in the money? If the objective is to win then playing it too safe until one reaches the lowest money positions will probably not carry the player to the final table. Winning a tournament takes risks and winning flips. Too conservative play leaves the player with a too small stack to make it in the final table.

rvicente13

rvicente13

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to play more conservatively, until I get close to the final table. But does that also depend on your amount of fixed? if I've got enough to hold, why risk it? only with premium hands

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Clearly taking even more risks while playing more conservatively :unsure:

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't think there are any clear unique instructions on how you should play before or after the bubble because it depends entirely on what kind of player you are and what kind of players the others are, you then have to adapt your game accordingly and depending on what goal you set yourself, focus on that. For me, winning the ITM is a priority at the beginning of the tournament and once I've done that, I'll definitely try to stay in the tournament as much as possible and, if possible, win, of course. I usually just play my game as well as I can, just as I started it until the end.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you are already in the prize zone, you should already play more actively if you have few chips and risk more to get to the final table

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Once you survive the bubble, you should be patient, because many players with few chips will go all-in right away.
If we have enough chips, we can easily jump another step to reach a higher cash prize.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends more on the stack size for me, relating how many big blinds I have.

P

PokerMaria

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
depends on given tourney, plenty things to consider. buyin, payouts, stacksize, field strenght, size etc.

in bounties i play wide, almost always.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well... once I've reached the prize positions... I do take more risks,,, but always within my game strategy... that is, taking into account my stack of chips and always trying to have a good reading my opponents at the table to make the best decisions

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
But many of those who do not play poker on a professional basis notice that their motivation to play periodically becomes less. Obviously, a losing streak in poker can reduce the desire to play, however, for some, winning can have a similar effect. your thoughts about poker when you have an upstreak or a downswing. Be prepared for this and stay motivated to play regardless of the results.There are various reasons why a player may not want to continue playing after winnings. Perhaps a player wants to enjoy winning a tournament or success at the cash tables for a day or two. Maybe the player is keeping a close eye on bankroll management and is contemplating the idea of going up a limit before risking money again.If you feel like nothing is adding up in a game, it could be a sign that you are not paying attention to numbers and math. While you don't have to be a math genius, it's helpful to have a basic understanding of the poker odds and probabilities that you and your opponents face.If you want to be a good poker player, you must learn to constantly recognize and beat players who are worse than you. The lack of talent and experience of these players should be exploited - after all, poker is a game where money comes from the mistakes of your opponents. Most importantly, you should strive to find the weakest player in the poker room or at the table you are playing at. Profits will follow this simple practice.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it depends a lot on how you arrive, if I'm in shambles, I prefer to dodge everything and try one more pay jump.
and I arrive with a decent stack, I play with a lot of respect and care with my stack, not to fall in a stupid way.
Final tables rely heavily on the gods of the deck.;););)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play tight on the bubble if I am small stack. If I am the largest stack on the table, I will min raise wide ranges.

After the Bubble, I try to play optimum push fold strategy if I am small stack. with large stack I min raise with optimum ranges.

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It all depends on the prize. I can get tired of playing in front of Prism someone goes all in and I follow him and fly out🤣🤣

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When bubble is approaching and my stack provides the mathematical safety to get in the money, then I must play with the same attention, focus and care to get in the money first. Then I play of course more comfortably and try to get as higher as I can!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of my stack size. If I was short stack and now I'm ITM, I have to play aggressively to double up. If I'm with a comfortable stack size, I just keep playing the same way I usually do.

A

agus.loeb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I would play aggressively if i have a lot of chips but if I am in the average player I would play a few hands.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on my stack and on the opponents but I usually play more aggressive when I know I am ITM. In this situation I want to reach the final table so I take more risk.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always react very aggressively when I enter the money.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I get to the last table, I play depending on the contingent of players at the table. But basically you have to go into a tight game and wait for a good card. I never rush to the last table to avoid losing my stack. If the stack becomes small, then it is very difficult to play.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys!

When it’s on a period in the tourney that is guaranteed you will win a prize, how do you react?
Do you still playing more conservatively or do you take more risks? And why?
What is the better strategy to get on the final tables?
Hello.
My reaction depends on the size of my stack. If the stack is short i may start playing more aggressively to build it up.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a lot depends on the stack, what kind of players are at the table, what are the prizes, in any case, as for me, the optimal strategy = tight = aggressive

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the reactions after getting into the prize zone are very different. Restrained reaction in live poker. And any crazy in online poker. Because no one sees you.
But in any case, you need to continue to stick to your chosen strategy at the table.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I remember watching an online player from years ago and he played tourneys every day. Most tourneys he played, he always seemed to make it to the money and more. Obviously his strategy worked well so I believe it can be done.