How do you find field size affects profit?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was wondering how you found field size affects profit? Obviously huge fields have a massive amount more money on the final table in the top positions compared to smaller fields of the same buy in. However bearing in mind you always need to come into pretty much the top 5 to get the high percentage winnings which field sizes do you find more profitable, big or small?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about 650 to 1100 players though there are a lot of variables to consider. Anymore than 1100 and it is just a stretch of enduring luck anyless it turns into highroller hell. I enjoy guaranteed 20-180 SNGs

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah my biggest win I think is close to your top end field size. I played 13000 players, managed to get a first in $16.50 bounty and got $2100. Had loads of reaching 1 or 2 tables from the final table, and some final tables but rarely hit the top 5 although they tend to be quite big fields.

Played a 128 player tournament on 888 recently $12 entry, got a first on that but seemed like a breeze to the much bigger fields I am in on pokerstars although need to try a few more that size. It still paid $500 which is still 25% of the payout of the $16.50 I played but with 10% of the players. I find you do need to win more flips and a bit more luck in big fields but the pay is heavily weighted to the top few spots don't know if I should through more smaller games in.....however late registration often for 2 hours makes it hard to predict the amount of players except trying to base on the guarantee.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are based on chaos theory and are a hurricane of variables. Each action is life changing and even if the game is some-how played optimally the win is elusive. Congratulations on beating 13,000 players.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry lol, meant 1300 players. I think if it was 13,000 I woulda have left my job by now lol. Although got managed a 24th in an over 17,000 freeroll. Got $40 but 1st place was a $30,000 package event, so close :( Got beat by a pesky AA limper!

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is swings and roundabouts - the larger the field the more variance but also larger the prizepool so it all evens out - the quality of the field is a more important consideration

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you mentioned the higher the play pool the higher the payout but its mostly top heavy for the higher payouts. I usually dislike these tournaments because they can add a couple hours to the length of the event and I tend to punt because I lack the attention span. I prefer the smaller fields because it's easier on me mentally and even the first couple of ladders pay more than higher player count events.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My theory is smaller fields with bigger buy ins are going to yield more profit in the long run. Reason being is easier to beat smaller fields and if you double up say a 30 dollar buy in and make 60. That's going to be better than paying a 5 dollar buy in and making a 10 dollar score.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My theory is smaller fields with bigger buy ins are going to yield more profit in the long run. Reason being is easier to beat smaller fields and if you double up say a 30 dollar buy in and make 60. That's going to be better than paying a 5 dollar buy in and making a 10 dollar score.

This makes good sense.

Except that the $30 tournie has much much better players seated than in the $5 tournie.

Good luck !

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@Nathan-the quality of the field is definitely important although in large fields you are will still come across challenging players. I think in large fields though you definitely have to survive more flip type situations and be allin in many more situations. But if you get high on a final table the payout is worth it.

@Duson/Radartodd, Yep I am thinking to try some more smaller ones or throw some in there. Huge fields take so long to get to the end and can be frustrating when you finish a few tables from the end and still do not make much. As Poker_Mike said though its not as simple as doubling the entry as you can hit a higher standard of players if doing straight cost/reward comparisons.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was wondering how you found field size affects profit? Obviously huge fields have a massive amount more money on the final table in the top positions compared to smaller fields of the same buy in. However bearing in mind you always need to come into pretty much the top 5 to get the high percentage winnings which field sizes do you find more profitable, big or small?

My guess is playing smaller tournaments is better for your hourly. But still the big payouts of larger fields are really enticing for the bigger picture. So I think playing multiple 100 player pool or less is the most profitable for a grinder.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My guess is playing smaller tournaments is better for your hourly. But still the big payouts of larger fields are really enticing for the bigger picture. So I think playing multiple 100 player pool or less is the most profitable for a grinder.

Saying that even a 100 can easily take a few hours. I don't find it harder getting deep in large tournaments, it's just getting to that final table. No doubt absolutely huge fields you have to coin flip many more times.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find 100 to about 300 is optimal. Unless there are rebuy's, add-ons or more than a 10-12 level late entry period. Those all turn into coin flip frenzies at the bubble and usually you need to run deep or final table to get any reasonable reward for your time investment..