How to defend an aggressive button raiser

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a 6 max tourney with 4 players left. The villain and I are sitting across from each other and we both have between like 22-30 big blinds and the other two about 10-15 bb. I play a little tight in the bb and he is capitalizing. I am looking for a hand that is playable to call with or to jam over the top but just keep getting trash. I'm also getting trash on the button, but make a couple blind steals just to stay on top (against villain). Villain wins more than he loses and understands the game, but he makes post flop blunders and I can outplay him. I also have to be careful with what I'm raising with because the small blind is calling way loose.

He is not raising with complete trash, and his raises are like 2.25- 2.65 bb. This is just frustrating. I'm loosening my requirements for calling, but get nothing playable. I do make a couple calls with hands like J9o or 78s.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude you are playing a good game expecting good faces, what you have is to know that the fewer players at the table the greater the range of hands to play, it is not the same 8-9 players that we know are 16-18 cards to be dealt and there are 36 or 34 cards left out the so-called implicit outs. The fewer players the greater the range of hands to play, against aggressive players you only expect good cards, J9s 66+ AKs, AKo. I recommend the free ICM Trainer and that's how you practice, it's for SnG but it helps you to know better the betting range, configure it for 6 players or whatever you want.
Successes..!!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
If you see the bad guy raising all his hands 100%, you can 3-bet light occasionally with hands like JT or K-highs.

3-bet / fold is a good option to stop this player profile. This player's fold equity must be considered.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a 6 max tourney with 4 players left. The villain and I are sitting across from each other and we both have between like 22-30 big blinds and the other two about 10-15 bb. I play a little tight in the bb and he is capitalizing. I am looking for a hand that is playable to call with or to jam over the top but just keep getting trash. I'm also getting trash on the button, but make a couple blind steals just to stay on top (against villain). Villain wins more than he loses and understands the game, but he makes post flop blunders and I can outplay him. I also have to be careful with what I'm raising with because the small blind is calling way loose.

He is not raising with complete trash, and his raises are like 2.25- 2.65 bb. This is just frustrating. I'm loosening my requirements for calling, but get nothing playable. I do make a couple calls with hands like J9o or 78s.
Your frustration maybe coming from you not seeing the best ROI strategy in this spot---We do not have to do battle with the other aggressive player on the table when we are card dead- We profit when card dead from the other player knocking out everyone else and we either cash second place or battle for 1st head-up.

In the situation you describe when card dead we are fine with allowing the other players to collide and get knocked out or cripple the other V. Especially if the shorties are more passive

We are strategically folding when card dead not "giving up" not "being passive"
If you think of it that way you will not become frustrated by folding.
You are doing something to win when you fold- you fold to protect your stack for the coming blind increases.
We do not want to bleed chips 1 bb here 2 bb there trying to catch a hand OOP

:unsure::geek:

Last edited:
MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you see the bad guy raising all his hands 100%, you can 3-bet light occasionally with hands like JT or K-highs.

3-bet / fold is a good option to stop this player profile. This player's fold equity must be considered.
Hmm good idea, will have to try it in game!