How to deal with limpers

B

bujinkan13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there new member here and i have a question that i cant seem to find an answer
i mostly play on pokerstars and i play bounty builder tournaments like bb11 bb44 bb5.5
Many times i get myself on tables where i see that it has many limpers.
How do i deal with limpers when i am in mp and what should be my raise range ?
Lets say i am in a hand mp late position and i see utg utg+1 and utg+2 limp in.
What hands do i raise and how much should the raise be?

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally raise x3 and if there are two or more limpers I make raises of x3 + 1 for each limper

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limpers ahh our yesterday I will tell you it was a limper that I fell in the tournament.
I was with A10 and the villain was limper with AK came flop A95 he bet the pot and I went all in and fell from the tournament ... I played badly because the villain could have two pair or even set of 5 so I think that was too much self-confidence. Better next time

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove all in when there is too many limpers.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you open, you add 1bb for each limper. The continuation bet either hits or misses the flop. For aggression, fold if you don't hit the flop, if you hit all-in without thinking.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The size of your raise in most cases doesn't matter to them, they usually just want to see the flop.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My general rule of thumb is to raise 3x + 1x for each limper in front of me up to 5x. As for what hands I raise with, I'm sorry, but I refuse to define my exact range. What I will say is that I usually don't play any hand that I wouldn't be willing to raise with. But it's also important to keep in mind that not every hand that I would raise with is necessarily a hand that I would call a raise with. Nor do I consider every hand that I would put a 3x raise in with to necessarily be worth raising 5x with. For example, I might look at a hand toward the bottom of my raising range and have every intention of making a 3x raise with it. But before action reaches me, three other players have already limped in front of me. While I might consider that hand worth making a 3x open raise with, I might not think it's worth making a 5x raise with, considering that between the limpers and the blinds, it's possible that more than one player might find themselves tempted to call. But I still won't limp. And knowing that a 3x raise will probably not be enough to discourage a player that has already committed 1BB to the pot, I am more likely to just fold than to make a 5x raise with the bottom of my range.

The point is to make it expensive to see flops with weak hands. I take pride in my ability to shut down bingo play when I'm at a table. I've found that players will soon become reluctant to continue with the limp into every pot with any two cards strategy once they realize that they are throwing away chips by limping and then having to fold or call a 4x or 5x raise with weak hands. As for players that seem determined to see the flop with weak hands, since, considering my range, it's likely that I will be have the better starting hand, it's also likely that if we both get a piece of the flop, I will likely have the better hand post-flop. In which case, I'm going to continue to make them pay for playing weak hands against me. This will further discourage them from trying limp into pots with weak hands.

Last edited:
nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there new member here and i have a question that i cant seem to find an answer
i mostly play on pokerstars and i play bounty builder tournaments like bb11 bb44 bb5.5
Isolating or isolation raise is a raise you make after limping in front of you one or more. As a rule, the main goal of such a raise is the ability to isolate a weak player for the subsequent play in heads-up. In reality, this is only part of the truth, and most of the profits in these hands are generated by fold equity, both before and after the flop.In the overwhelming majority of cases, the open limper is playing on a capped range consisting of marginal and speculative hands, as well as trash. These are suited hands of various denominations, small pocket pairs, weak ace-x hands, and other picture starters. Sometimes in the game you will encounter strong limps, but this is more the exception than the rule. With such a weak range, it is extremely difficult for an opponent to play, and by raising the bet in response to a limp, we have the opportunity to profitably play not only the top of our range, but also a number of mediocre range hands.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just isolate the limpers bettiing at least 5bb or even more with premium hands like aces, kings, queens, jacks, tens,ak,aq and maybe aj and kq. also you can limp small pairs and suited connectors like 78 or 89, because these type of hands play very well postflop against many opponents.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips

these are my favorite people to play against apart from aggressive players, because they are easy to read, most times limpers are rock players they only get involved in big hands or if the don't have a hand they will not continue

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you do not REALLY NEED to punish limpers. They punish themselves already. What you do need though, is to benefit from their poor play. Raise big with strong hands, and charge them the maximum. out of 3 limpers 1 will always want to call.

A lot of people make the mistake of raising too wide vs limpers. If you think about the types of hands they are limping (QJs, JTs, T9s, KJs, KQs, 88, 77, etc) you can't just raise anything in position vs them. Try tightening up your range to something like... 77+,AT+,JTs+,A8s+. Tighten up even more OOP. That's all you need really.

B

bujinkan13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for all your answers really helpful

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And here is the next question to you during the game with this subscriber at the table how did he react to the promotion from other players what kind of note did you make on him in accordance with this and choose the tactics of the game against each opponent

Sirkiba

Sirkiba

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the position, but most of the time I'd raise. If I'm BB with a weak starting hand and nobody raised against them I might just check for a free flop. That's probably the only time I wouldn't bet.

I'll never shove unless I'm shortstacked with a good starting hand. Every now and then I'll limp premium hands to trap the more aggressive players. I'm guessing there's other players that do this, which is why I'd prefer to raise and not shove vs limpers.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play agressive with the limpers and i shove allin when is to many limpers.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bounty is a special type of tournament. Knock out a limper in a bounty is almost impossible or very very difficult.. Sometimes a 5 bet raise doesn't help.. I think if you really like these tournaments, you should change your style of play and expand your hand range very much, do not tie the hand strength to your position at the table, play personality for each player and carefully study the table, all other statistics have less power in the bounty, because limpers and super aggressive players are ready to do anything for the bounty..

In short, it is not worth to make big bets to increase the pot. I think, playing from defense it's a good for bounty solution...

But I, against these tournaments, I don't like them )))