Hitting Middle/Top pair after you protected from BB

F

faf

Rising Star
This is a scenraio which I encounter a lot. Someone raises from Middle/Late position, I defend from BB with a marginal hand and hit a middle or even top pair on a low flop.

For example I hold :6d4: :7s4: and the flop hits :4d4: :7c4: :9h4:

I check and the original raser who has a high percentage of CB in my hud indeed C-Bet.

What is the better move for me? Considering that the flop fits much better to my range, should I check-raise since there are many scary cards in the turn and I want to protect my pair ,collect the dead money and not play two more streets OOP? (and of course take the risk that he's holding an overpair or maybe hit a set) Or maybe the better move is just to call and re-evaluate on the turn?

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Awards
If he raised preflop id check fold. I can be a very cautious player, and don't put too much into defending big blind.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Yes, you can check/raise in the flop against a c-bet with this hand. However, you can also try another alternative such as check/call in the c-bet and lead (bet OOP) on the turn.
Your hand in this situation even has some showdown value and it wouldn't be a bad idea try take it to the showdown by playing a SMALL POT.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Awards
The problem is there is no easy answers. I really depends on the player you are against. Check raising is a nice option if you want to end the hand. A good player could see it for what it is.I admit i go into check calling them down a lot as long as the board does not get to ugly by the river.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🛸 Happy World UFO Day!
Awards
This is a scenraio which I encounter a lot. Someone raises from Middle/Late position, I defend from BB with a marginal hand and hit a middle or even top pair on a low flop ... Considering that the flop fits much better to my range, should I check-raise since there are many scary cards in the turn and I want to protect my pair ,collect the dead money and not play two more streets OOP?
Wish I could help but I pretty much never play weak hands from the blinds unless it's an intentional bluff, and even then it depends so much on my read of my opponent. I just don't see any percentage in it.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
I find myself in that position alot . I have a tendency to protect my blind a little to much . But anyway in that situation I usually play slow and protect myself from running into a monster and getting crushed . Good luck

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Awards
GR
I would check call at least once here and I would reassess the situation based on the turn card.This is my standard play here.

Maybe against this opponent with a high cbet percentage I think the check raise line can make him fold often , the board tends to be kinda dry plus its rainbow and you protect your top pair!Sorry for the different answers but I don't know myself the dynamics :/

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Unless you were extremely short stacked, I probably wouldn't "defend the bb" with 67 off. And if you were short stacked I would probably go all in with this type of hand. Hope for a fold or luck of the draw should I get called.