The Hero Call syndrome...

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately, seems like my hero calls are becoming more like donk calls :)

couple of things I would like to better understand and stay disciplined for next time..

When someone puts all of their chips in on the river after showing weakness throughout, I'm gonna stop calling those with mid pairs/A high. Generally, opponents dont bluff with an all in. They usually like to keep at least a 1/3 stack behind (fold equity) if they do attempt a major bluff. But I'm not calling that either :)

Being check raised on the river.....I've been hero calling those too often as well thinking the villain has missed their draws and just looking to take the pots.

What is the most common scenario have you guys seen where the hero call is usually the right play? It's a very tricky situation, since almost always it has left me crippled in a tournament

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hero call

I think one of the spots where hero calls are justifiable are when you know your opponent well enough to figure out and approximate range he is shoving with, if you are not sure of this its a coin flip between them having a really strong hand or just shoving with a big range

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately, seems like my hero calls are becoming more like donk calls :)

couple of things I would like to better understand and stay disciplined for next time..

When someone puts all of their chips in on the river after showing weakness throughout, I'm gonna stop calling those with mid pairs/A high. Generally, opponents dont bluff with an all in. They usually like to keep at least a 1/3 stack behind (fold equity) if they do attempt a major bluff. But I'm not calling that either :)

Being check raised on the river.....I've been hero calling those too often as well thinking the villain has missed their draws and just looking to take the pots.

What is the most common scenario have you guys seen where the hero call is usually the right play? It's a very tricky situation, since almost always it has left me crippled in a tournament

Really try to honestly asses their range then make your decision.
A lot of times their range has barely any bluffs in it, it's all value.

Don't just focus on thinking of hands you can beat, think about what he's most likely to have. Most of the time you catch a bluff it's because they have a lot of draws that missed

These 2 videos should help a fair bit with this

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really try to honestly asses their range then make your decision.
A lot of times their range has barely any bluffs in it, it's all value.

Don't just focus on thinking of hands you can beat, think about what he's most likely to have. Most of the time you catch a bluff it's because they have a lot of draws that missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_l_t_ZpDU&t=906s

These 2 videos should help a fair bit with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9r5S5P5s34

Great content Evan.....absolute vs relative strength, being focused too much on your own 2 cards...all avenues that need serious training. I liked the way you presented it.

Thanks !

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like someone mentioned above. The more information you have the better of the player. otherwise you cant really predict the results.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to try to think of the hands they could be doing their action with that I actually beat. If you are having a hard time coming up with more than 1 or 2 hands then the best action is to probably fold. Depending on limits you are playing, check raises on the river are rarely bluffs so I would not usually be calling them.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff catching really is an art, and there is no simple answer. But some of the factors, that will make me consider pressing "call", is, if I have shown weakness (my range is capped), if Villains story makes no sense (he is repping very thin), and if I am getting a good price.