Helpful Trick for nearing FT & on FT in Low Buyin Events

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a micro tourney player, after reaching ITM on something like a 1.65 buyin, it is often grueling to run the gauntlet to get into any type of real money.
I guess this applies to all tourneys, where the min-cash is essentially double the buyin amount, sometimes 3 times. So on a 1.65 buyin were looking at 3-4 bucks return once we hit min-cash.
I have recently noticed - I get a little cantankerous about this. I'd much more prefer if the payout structure was a lot tighter - say pay out the top 5% of players, rather than spread the prize pool out, but I can understand both sides of this discussion.

So - I've been playing a little mind trick on myself - and it has been working pretty well. Still have not had a significant tourney win in over six weeks, but I've hit 2nd and 3rd a higher number of times recently.

What I do - to make these meager earnings more meaningful to me is add zeros onto the end of all the payouts. So for a 3 dollar return I imagine it is 30 bucks.
And when nearing the final table and on the final table I imagine instead of the payout being something like 150.00 I imagine it's 1500.00 - lol.

Just thought I'd pass along - in case someone else has felt the same way about the meager returns once we hit min-cash and nearing final table in smaller buyin events.

GL all

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice tip!

I like that you keep it proportional and add the zero on to final table payouts as well, so that the higher min-cash doesn't impact strategy if you imagine it vividly and aren't also considering future payouts to be correspondingly higher.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice tip!
I like that you keep it proportional and add the zero on to final table payouts as well, so that the higher min-cash doesn't impact strategy if you imagine it vividly and aren't also considering future payouts to be correspondingly higher.

Thanks Collin - the only problem I've encountered is - in "my mind" I've won close to 100k :cool: rather than the real amount I have actually won. :D:D:D

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like it! :rolleyes: nothing like a good Jedi mind trick to get u over the hump! :damnmate::elefant: