Help - WPT500 - Hand Analysis

G

g1nga1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

For anyone who wants too, please can you analyse the below for me...... i'm keen to learn more and curious as to how everyone see's it. More detail available on request.

Its been troubling me since it happened, but im keen to learn/see others conclusions.

Thanks

Day 2 - Major Tournament - £1m Guarantee - 1890 - Entries - £550

Due to family commitments I started Day 1 in a Turbo Event on the same Day as Day 2, carried forward 48k, average chip count 120k, players remaining 480.

Doubled up early and played solid positional/stack size poker to roughly £300k and roughly 220 remaining. Blinds 4/8k, antes 1k.

Lost a 4 way pot after opening to 16k with 10's, raised round/calls, me to call for another £20k, missed flop.

Table playing tight, 8-9 players, my stack 2nd/3rd biggest. Moved at a few un-opened pots to get back to £280k, 199 players remaining.

Hand -

Action

Blinds 4/8k Antes £1k

8 players, 3 folds to me 4th to act, some tight players to left, Big stack yet to act on Button, smaller stacks been frequently folding to raises and/or continuation bets.

My Hand - KQo, Stack 280k

I Raise to £16k

Cut-Off Folds, Button (Big Stack 350k ish) raise to £41k. Blinds Fold, Pot 77k, 25k to call.

My thoughts are the Big Stack is likely to be playing mid range pair up, or suited/unsuited picture ace, as he had seen me both raise and win a showdown with a full house, but also represent on flop and win pots yet back away from others.

I am cautious to get involved with the Big Stack and with poor position, but feel the blind increase's and relative strength of my hand vs the 3/1 odds warrants a call.

Call - Stack down to 239k, Pot 102k.

Flop - 8h Kd 3c

I lead out for 41k, stack remaining 198k. Big Stack acts bemused by the bet, and again with a somewhat bemused look, calls. I am unsure as to whether the look is genuine or a play representing strength.

Turn - 10s

My bet on the flop was to show strength and hopefully take the pot, however I realised it was too light to achieve this. I was reluctant to massage the pot as I wanted an indication as to where I stood against the big stack and strength shown, despite hitting the King.

I check, hoping the 40k bet on the flop slowed down the action. The Big Stack again looks confused, and after a short while bets 60k. Pot up to 244k

After a short deliberation, I call. The 4/1 pot odds and the Top Pair are too tempting and I am reluctant to raise as I am concerned. The reads on my opponents hand I am getting is that, it is either a high pair, JJ or QQ or AQs that hopes I do not have a King, or an AK. I am not considering AA/KK as I have a King and I would of expected both to smooth call (or even raise) without the bemused look after the flop. AK, JJ, QQ seem the most probable fits to me so far.

At this point I have to assume my opponent puts me on a King probably suited up or down to a 10 max, trips or an A8/10 suited. I am also concerned that I have committed 50% of my stack, I dont know fully where I stand, and my stack size in relation to tournament survival.

However, whilst at the table I have not picked up that my opponent is a better than average player.

River - 5h

I check. My opponent after a short pause, announces All-In - rough count 200k.

Internal nightmare on my part. I naively hoped for a check behind, given the strength shown by both, or would've settled for another bet of 60k/80k that I would of called. I know that I should not leave myself crippled, however that was my honest thought process and would of still placed me 6th/7th on the table stack wise.

My stack is now 138k. Pot is essentially 304k plus my 138k to win, being 442k. If I win, I go to 580k roughly double the average stack, if I lose I exit the tournament.

I now tank. Ive worked hard to get to this point and played solid poker throughout the day in the main, excect the first few hands of the Turbo :)

But ive somehow made enough mistakes in this particular hand to have already committed 50% of my stack and be faced with a life or death tournament decision.

I was left completely 50/50 as to what to do.

Are you able to critically analyse the above for me pointing out the errors you seen as im keen to see if they are where I see them after writing this.

Also can you pick out why I went into the tank, highlighting my decision and if it warranted a tank?

I will give you the details of what finally happened if you want afterwards.

Any help or time given would be appreciated.

Thanks

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands