help on how to navigate rebuy mtt

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Hi all, I have played quite a few mtt that have rebuy + topup options and I've got to say i hate this format the most, I've gotten high up in these just before late entry ends, then people topup etc and I go to short stack just like that, i guess they expect me to be chip leader to be able to survive the rebuys and addons etc, i have tried super tight play to try combat the super loose players who constantly rebuy when felted, what do you guys do in these tourneys, ? Advice ?
Thanks in advance

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Those re-buy add-on tourneys are notorious for their chip lead turnarounds and often cost 2 maybe 3 times the market price at minimum.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Those re-buy add-on tourneys are notorious for their chip lead turnarounds and often cost 2 maybe 3 times the market price at minimum.
Yeah, notorious indeed, I've managed to cash twice in these but gotta say , i can't believe all who cash will all rebuy+addon etc? Mind you the prizes are usually quite good (for someone who has perhaps won or final tabled one of these , I can easily see them adding on etc)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Not to mention the really sick players who treat it like a semi cash game, rebuy to infinty and having the loosest table image ever, i can't help but call such players down when i have AA KK QQ etc, and yes i may double up or so, but they still rebuy and inevitably almost , force me to call when i have AA and they win with junk (% wise it's bound to happen) and then I'm out , grrr , i have tried to not play against such looseness, but sometimes hard to fold top tier hands to them

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
I mean I see them as a trap because they are freerolls so they are infested with freeloaders and the structure is so that you re-buy and you must add-on. So it is a semi-clever way of getting people invested in to spend more money. The tournament director for ACR told me that they are a "dying" structure that players shun. I generally don't like them i'v seen guys rebuy over 20 times when late registration is ending.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
I mean I see them as a trap because they are freerolls so they are infested with freeloaders and the structure is so that you re-buy and you must add-on. So it is a semi-clever way of getting people invested in to spend more money. The tournament director for ACR told me that they are a "dying" structure that players shun. I generally don't like them i'v seen guys rebuy over 20 times when late registration is ending.

trap indeed, however i never rebuy in these as my mindset screams "freeroll" , however if i were less stubborn i guess I could treat it like a $1 tourney where some people get knocked out, the main problem is the big bankroll strategy which some players use , I'm actually playing one right now (jackpot $80,000) , and i see why players would steer away from these, problem is on acr there aren't many freezeout tourneys , the funny thing with these rebuys' though is when someone doesn't rebuy, you're like celebrating that someone is actually out :) :p

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
By "big bankroll statergy" i mean i vicious cash game with increasing blinds ;)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Hi all, just playing another jackpot80k , so far after 3hrs , in the money, 49th out of 108 remaining plyrs, (1461 entrants + 489 rebuys ) , work in progress, just writing it now, will finish off the post later ,
Must say though lots of glitches on acr, froze a few times (i just left it and it resumed) almost as if there are bot players, near the bubble i was watching the knock out zone players, around 216th place, they were on like 2k, and after the rebuy/add on time, all of those players , all, had added on etc and were now on 7,5k , is it possible all of them spent $ ? , i was ranked 80th or so, so i wasn't worried, just noticing things

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Hmm , these sick blinds , 3k/6k , I'm 50th out of 60 remaining, getting close to shoving time,
Shoved A6 and split with bully who jad A8 , lol

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Then I shove again with A8 get called by J8 , and i double up, still surviving :p , 36th/50 so far and we're on a break, 3hrs 25mins past ,
AJ raise and take, 27th/50 now,
KQ call but folded to preflop madness
Blind erosion, down to 40th/43 plyrs
Q9 button shove and take it
Pots are 25k before utg acts
I'm 36th/36 now, shoving finger is ready
66 shove - 2 callers , I'm out in 35th place ( $0.88 ) , 3hrs 45mins

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Well myself I hate rebuy add-ons so I avoid them because there are so many kinds you can afford to be picky. I like knockouts an ex shootouts. But to as far as strategy after the rebuy add-on period play normal don't let the change in stack size change your solid play that hot you that far

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Awards
Hi all, thanks for the feedback, I hate rebuys as well and i never rebuy myself, freeze outs etc are my favorite but hard to find, so play whatever is there and have faith and determination, hopefully in the next jackpot i can be lucky enough to lead from the front as it's so much easier to win tourneys from the front (by the way just remembered I was a late entry in the last one, 50mins late, so who knows, will try to be on time next one)
i must say in the other rebuys i used to play on netbet, i tried various strategies, predominantly ultra aggressive vs the BR bullies, alas it made hardly any difference it seemed and i had better results playing my normal game , lessons there somewhere, tricks & ideas maybe all well and good, but perhaps one's normal game with more focus/bravery/determination or whatever is the way to go,