hellmuth's 15 starting hands

P

PoochMasterFlex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hellmuth states that you should only play any pocket pair ak, aq. he also says you can play a suited and suited connectors... is this strategy too tight?
u can go all in with aa kk qq ak, and depending on the player play 99 10 and jj super aggressivlely.

This sounds like a pretty good strategy. what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
super tight strategy for weak/tight players. Basically designed to minimize losses. Not a good strategy for people that aren't Phil Hellmuth where everyone is trying to bust him with ATC.

This assumes a full ring I suppose, but even then this makes you way too easy to read. See some starting hand charts in HoH where position is actually taken into account. Anyone with half a brain can do better than this strategy.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a pretty solid strategy.

Good for beginners playing at lower limits.

I have used a similar strategy and it did seem to work for me.

I am having trouble trying to mix up my play now as I am used to playing really tight.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good hands to start with, but down the road you need to add some more in there...
as in Ax and Kx suited, un suited

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In low limit games, or freerolls this works good for the first hour. Teaches you to be tight and not chase. But after first hour, you have to open up your play, as you have developed a tight image after this first hour

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting with these hands and becoming very good at playing them is a great foundation for your game. You will develop a "habit" of hand selctivity. A common weakness is playing too many hands. A lot of people get caught by the catch phrases of "changing gears" and "mixing it up" as a justification for playing too many hands.

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play AK, AQ, any pocket pair and all suited connecters is quie a lot of hands in my opinion.. I never play low suited connecters. It also depends agaisnt what players you play

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play AK, AQ, any pocket pair and all suited connecters is quie a lot of hands in my opinion.. I never play low suited connecters. It also depends agaisnt what players you play

even when you have position? why dont you play these?

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Too loose?? How can this be too loose?

Are you saying you don't ever play AJ in position? That's just playing too tight.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Helmuth's book and advice are both terrible. At the lowest limits you might be able to play those 15 hands and do okay. But any player with a pulse will realize that you are playing only 8% of your hands and be able to counter it easily. By stealing your blinds, and folding when you make a strong move at the pot if they don't have the goods.

Especially in late position, you should be playing more broadway cards, suited connectors and ace-x hands.

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good advice, if it took position into account. You are almost guaranteed to be a profitable poker player at the lower levels playing a tight strategy such as this one (provided you learn about position).

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not really much of a strategy, just a starting hand chart. The strategy would be how and when you play them. Hard to answer if its good or not without understanding how you play which hands in which positions IMO.

R

rozzz5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This strategy sounds to me like its for the beginning levels of a one table SNG . I don't see where else this can help one effectively in the long run.

J

JulieK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like tight but not tight. You call playing 22 UTG a tight strategy? Or 23 suited?

If you're gonna play tight, play Sklansky tight. This is just a semi-tight strategy that is going to bleed away money out of position.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so as much as love taking every opportunity to criticize Hellmuth, pretty sure this is not what he said. I'm pretty sure this is what he said he'd tell someone who just learned the game and didn't know any strategy. It's hard to quickly teach someone position and all the ways to use it but if you want a way to maximize your chance of winning when basically you aren't very good at poker just playing the big hands is probably optimal especially in a non-deepstacked tourney where you don't have to worry about folding top pair post flop. Just play hands that flop top pair and get money in with them.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That are probably more than 15 hands.
It depends if you play any connector.
Otherwise it is a tight strategy for the beginning of a tournement...
If the blinds raise and antes appear you have to play more hands.

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with playing tight early in MTT's and SNG's but to play that tight as an overall strategy is not a profitable way to play. Any decent poker player would pick up on how u r playing and it would be so easy for them to run over u and when u do pick up a hand and raise then everyone will fold as they recognise u have a big hand. If u want to create that super tight image then u should u this to ur advantage by reraising with weak hands andd stealing some pots.

SoCalJD

SoCalJD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Helmuth's book and advice are both terrible. At the lowest limits you might be able to play those 15 hands and do okay. But any player with a pulse will realize that you are playing only 8% of your hands and be able to counter it easily. By stealing your blinds, and folding when you make a strong move at the pot if they don't have the goods.

Especially in late position, you should be playing more broadway cards, suited connectors and ace-x hands.
>>>

I can't believe I'm defending Phil Helmuth:eek: , but neither his book nor his advice are "terrible"...for beginners, and that's what he wrote that for. It's actually the best book/advice out there *for beginners*, and one I recommend whenever anyone tells me they want to start playing. One would assume beginners would be playing $3/$6, aka "no foldem holdem", and playing those cards is about the only chance they'd have at beating that game.

B

BM0529

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much depends on situation, how many others in the pot etc....I tend to prefer siding with playing any two cards 10 or higher so long as you are not facing a big raise...you still need to be very careful when it comes to hands such as K-10, K-J, Q-10, Q-J, even K-Q....If I'm playing a 1-2 or 2-5 NL game I will raise with them in good position but if there is a raise in front of me that is more than 3-4 times the BB (more than 8$ in 1-2 and more than $15 in 2-5) I'm not calling with them unless their either suited or there are numerous other callers in front of me and I have odds, we all have seen how many times someone is holding K-Q and someone else has either A-K or A-Q. I generally run very close to what Helmuth describes there but I play a decent amount of junk as well from the button or cutoff, particularly if the table is playing very tight and I think I can bust one of the older rock players or female players trying to limp in with a big pair or high cards which we see pretty often.

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that Hellmuth knows the game and he must be right, but you can't plan a strategy with this.
Might be a good advice for beginners that don't know when they got a good strating hand or not.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hellmuth states that you should only play any pocket pair ak, aq. he also says you can play a suited and suited connectors...
u can go all in with aa kk qq ak, and depending on the player play 99 10 and jj super aggressivlely.

He may say that, but he doesn't do that. He was shown in the wsop episodes of last season raising OOP w/ J 4 offsuit & then later belittling some1 for raising w/ a much better hand later on in the tourney. Also calling names to some1 for beating him w/ a similar hand (10 4) that he had also played in the past.

Don't get me wrong, he's 1 of the top NLHE players in history but that doesn't mean he's allowed to contradict himself @ times. That by definition, would be a hypocrite.

Back to the topic though...

My point is...some advice is to be taken seriously & some isn't. Find your game & play the way that is best suited to you.

SoCalJD

SoCalJD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He may say that, but he doesn't do that. He was shown in the WSOP episodes of last season raising OOP w/ J 4 offsuit & then later belittling some1 for raising w/ a much better hand later on in the tourney. Also calling names to some1 for beating him w/ a similar hand (10 4) that he had also played in the past.

Don't get me wrong, he's 1 of the top NLHE players in history but that doesn't mean he's allowed to contradict himself @ times. That by definition, would be a hypocrite.

Back to the topic though...

My point is...some advice is to be taken seriously & some isn't. Find your game & play the way that is best suited to you.
>>>

He *mostly* plays good hands though, and because of that they typically chew him up on High Stakes Poker. Again, it's very sound advice for any newbie. I've actually written them down and handed them to people who are playing for the first time and said: "fold anything but these." Obviously that won't work at higher levels, but then again a newbie wouldn't be at that table would they?

I typically play "small ball", which is the exact opposite of PH's advice...but I'd never tell a newbie to do that.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok so as much as love taking every opportunity to criticize Hellmuth, pretty sure this is not what he said. I'm pretty sure this is what he said he'd tell someone who just learned the game and didn't know any strategy. It's hard to quickly teach someone position and all the ways to use it but if you want a way to maximize your chance of winning when basically you aren't very good at poker just playing the big hands is probably optimal especially in a non-deepstacked tourney where you don't have to worry about folding top pair post flop. Just play hands that flop top pair and get money in with them.
Your right, there for when you learning, starting out... however when your on a real loose table, or a MTT with real loose players, i find his hand range works the best, with PP added....

Once i get a good stack then i start, adding more hands in...

M

MainEventOrBust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hellmuth states that you should only play any pocket pair ak, aq. he also says you can play a suited and suited connectors... is this strategy too tight?

Yes, but as others mentioned if you are novice, its better to play too few hands than too many. Against unsophisticated players it should work okay, and give you a solid base to improve on as you gain experience.

If you are playing sophisticated opponents, it won't take long for them to crack your starting hand code, surrendering preflop to you when you bet, and taking away blinds and your limps when you don't.

You are better off having a scale of hands that you will play in early position, a wider range in middle position, and a still wider range in late position. Really good opponents will still eventually figure out your ranges, but they are few and far between.

Good luck!

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This advice is very good for those that can use it as a base and then play jazz around the theme. It establishs an image that can be used later in an event. It is also a good fallback after a bad beat to avoid the terrible tilt.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands