Heads-Up Final Table Troubles

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in the last week and a half, I've reached 2nd place in n 3 different tourneys but I keep falling short of that win. Which made me realise it can't just be varience, something must be wrong with my heads-up play.

Any basic guides/tips/strategies anyone could help me out with?

What are your do's and don'ts?

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it is always better practice than learning any textbooks, because poker is changing /Analyze the game in HM2

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it is always better practice than learning any textbooks, because poker is changing /Analyze the game in HM2

Hmm, okay thanks, then I guess I got quite a bit of practice lately :)

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people don't realize that heads-up poker is a very different game than even 3-handed, let alone 6 or 9-handed. There are a lot of hands that should be opened from SB/defended from BB, depending on the stack sizes.

I would sincerely suggest to read, Expert Heads Up No Limit Hold'em ~ Will Tipton. For sure, you can go the "play more and get the experience" route, but its going to take a hell lot longer than just understanding the concept behind it and applying, to get a grip over HU Poker.

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people don't realize that heads-up poker is a very different game than even 3-handed, let alone 6 or 9-handed. There are a lot of hands that should be opened from SB/defended from BB, depending on the stack sizes.

I would sincerely suggest to read, Expert Heads Up No Limit Hold'em ~ Will Tipton. For sure, you can go the "play more and get the experience" route, but its going to take a hell lot longer than just understanding the concept behind it and applying, to get a grip over HU Poker.
Thank you for the advise/recommendation. Will give that a read. I think weirdly enough, I've been too loose HU. One or two bluffs that were called etc.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advise/recommendation. Will give that a read. I think weirdly enough, I've been too loose HU. One or two bluffs that were called etc.

Its tough to give a feedback on particular hand without knowing the actual holdings (your cards) and scenario (i.e. player we're up against, board texture, action, etc). But you can always post those hand-histories in the analysis forum and I hope people might be able to give some good feedback.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look for these books expert heads up volume 1 and 2 by will tipton. best ever poker books.

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Will look those up :)

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main thing is not to play very tight. The blinds will eat you up. If the opponent plays better, you need to play like a maniac. If worse - play their game. Sklansky compared the game 1-on-1 Boxing match. If you can't win on points it went in nokaut in the early rounds.

zviko

zviko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive placed 1st a couple of times, and yes the pressure can be very intense at times. Heres my advice:

1: Be as aggresive AS YOU CAN.. PLAY TO WIN!!!! If you see your opponent ALSO being aggresive, then i advise to step back and play to his flow. Make your opponent feel they have the upper hand whether you have more or less chips. This allows you to play more of a trap strategy with the right hands. Or what i like to do is mix it up. AGGRESIVE then soft....and vice verse, don't ever make your opponent figure you out. Before you do this obviously if you are EXTREMELY short stacked...now i mean REALLY!?, then being patient for the right hands will work seeing that he/she is aggresive. Budget a certain amount to test your opponent, you can get lucky at times. but AGGRESSION 1st!!!

J

Jordenandrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try being chip leader before heads up to put pressure on him when they push all in fold they usually have a top pair in their hand. The way I do it is try taking the blinds or play aggressive

elton015

elton015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advise you play heads up of 50ç its cheap and very good to get experience in heads up, I recognise that I don´t play heads up as well.So let´s study and play

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1. First advice from me - expand the range of your starting hands.

1. First advice from me - expand the range of your starting hands. Play almost every hand on the loaf and be vigilant in the big blind. Play from a position.
2. Remember! When you are on the button, you are the small blind: you are the first to act before the flop, but you act last on all the other streets after the flop. With the big blind, on the contrary.
3. Remember the value of the hands. Even the average pair and the second pair on the board can be a winning combination and therefore you should always bet on them.
4. Use half-bluff when possible. One of the best ways to win a lot of banks.
5. Stick to the rules of bankroll. One of the biggest mistakes that beginners make is playing the entire bankroll at one or two tables. This is a very big and serious mistake and in 99% of cases you will become bankrupt with Bankroll $ 0. I recommend never playing on more than 7% of your bankroll at one table.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes you think losing 3 heads up games in a row is not due to variance? Take a coin and keep tossing it, you will see that 3 times in a row happens a lot. That is variance. I am not saying you don't need to improve your game, everybody should, but try to understand variance as well, it will benefit you long term.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you might want to check out husngs.com they have lots of free hu videos