Having a Big Stack once you are ITM: Advice

T

tyduncs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself often having quite a large stack after the money bubble breaks and sitting there with 50bb's or more but often I end up finishing in... as an example I was in the $5.50 micromillions progressive knockout tourney and there was approximately 50,000 entrants and top 6,191 paid and after I had gotten into the money I had a stack of about 50-70 bb's but ended up finishing in 3,838 spot. Is there anything for advice on how to play with a big stack after the money bubble has been reached? Sometimes I find myself calling smaller stacks all-ins and getting unlucky but I feel that my problem is more than just getting unlikely as this has happened a few times. Do I need to play super tight after the money bubble with a big stack or should I loosen up and attempt to bully the table to keep building my stack and playing higher risk/reward poker?

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to see what have been your failures, observe your movements and your opponents analyze what was your mistake and what has been your success, analyze your out for and if you notice that your play was good and luckily you lost it are Poker stuff that happens to anyone

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just after the bubble can be a dangerous time as people who have been waiting for it will just go all in with any 2 cards to double up / cash out.

It can be worth tightening back up for a while and only calling all in's with really premium hands.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like everyone else already said try to not change the way you're playing to much just cause you made it to the money. Once you're itm, especially with a big stack, you should have two main focuses: 1) take blinds from small stacks that won't call raises and 2) maintain your large stack size. A lot of the time at this point in the tourney a lot of hands won't go to a showdown so aggressive raising with good hands can keep you towards the top as can folding ok to decent hands when someone goes all in. The last thing you want to do is lose half your stack to a small stack that keeps going all in and hits a lucky straight or flush. Just play smart and keep doing what you did to get ITM and you'll probably end up with bigger payouts. Good luck to you!

T

tyduncs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks this helps a lot actually !

515bastos

515bastos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything will depend on how you analysis your opponents...so wait a little to go in action

K

KarlAbbott01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't change your play and become eager. Analysis is key.

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people play really tight near the bubble and when they make it ITM they tend to become really loose. Most strategy articles I read recommend doing the opposite, playing more loose and agressive before the bubble to exploit weak players and then tightening up for a while after the bubble breaks.

K

KarlAbbott01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The above got it. Players become increasingly loose after the bubble and arent harder but yet more annoying to play against.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe there's nothing there you should change. The thing is that you might really ran out of luck in flips and that's why your finishes keep on coming early. You definitely shouldn't play tight because that certainly won't lead you to FT.
I would suggest if you just could call with stronger hands than before and to keep on stealing blinds whenever you can.
Cheers!

SydTheCat

SydTheCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah be careful after the bubble. People will start to play again and start gambling more to build up their stacks again. You should have been taking advantage of the bubble while you had such a good stack, and tighten up when you hit the bubble.
Play position after it calms down a bit.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just after the bubble can be a dangerous time as people who have been waiting for it will just go all in with any 2 cards to double up / cash out.

It can be worth tightening back up for a while and only calling all in's with really premium hands.

I 100% agree with this.

Don't change your play and become eager. Analysis is key.

Good point here about observing and analyzing the players at your table and see if they all of a sudden wake up after the money bubble has burst.

i believe there's nothing there you should change. The thing is that you might really ran out of luck in flips and that's why your finishes keep on coming early. You definitely shouldn't play tight because that certainly won't lead you to FT.
I would suggest if you just could call with stronger hands than before and to keep on stealing blinds whenever you can.
Cheers!

If you are accumulating a fairly sizable stack like you mention here, then obviously what you did to get to that point, you should continue to do that. Play your game (that's the key really - you are comfortable obviously with the moves and plays you are making so stay within yourself - don't start to play a style you are not accustomed to). At the same time, adjust to the table play as well - if people are tight, loosen up, if they loosen up, tighten up.

Sometimes variance happens as well, and there's not much that you can do about that. It sucks to have a big stack and feel like you are going to make a REALLY deep run only to run into either a cooler situation or a bad beat (or bad beats). The key is to continue being who you are.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once in the money with a big stack BE aggressive BE BE aggressive...

N

Neek4555

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree online more so than in live tournament setting. But yes.

J

Jared rich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
keep playing the poker that got you the big stack in the first place I am usually a little more aggro towards the blinds putting pressure on short stacks and try to build the stack Allin only pre with premium hands no ace rag suited like aa kk qq aks aqs??

B

Bone23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the previous speakers answered it pretty well. In a nutshell.

Swim against the current... When most players tend to play loose you should tighten up. When most players play tight you can become a bit more loose. However always stick to the guiding principles of your game!

Happy swimming!

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50-70bb it's a lot on the bubble, so wait for the position and catch the hunters on the weak

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these cases you should dedicate yourself to studying the table and try to play closed but aggressive, try to steal blind when you are in position, and concentrate more on the game of the rivals than on yours, focus on those who have small stacks and play aggressive against players Weak, and above all do not risk your stack unnecessarily by paying absurd bets with marginal cards or trying a bluff

S

SpeedBump621

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Save most of your bluffing for the medium sized stacks. The shorties are looking to get it in, the big stacks are looking to crush you. The medium stacks, if they play pretty well, will lay down a decent amount of value on the river if you can make a well timed play.