Harrington Books

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those of you who have read his most recent tournament book as well as his original series, given the choice would you recommend reading Dan Harrington’s original tournament books or his most recent single tournament book?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally you want to read the more recent content, but I'm not seeing a recent book by Harrington ... do you mean the tournament workbook or does he have a more recent one?

The original HOH series is a classic, and while some of the info is a bit outdated now, I think it would definitely be helpful for anyone to read again at this point!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dans tournament series was revolutionary when they came out and defined my early game. The problem is the game of poker has changes so much since then. If you were just starting I think this would be a fine set of books to read but it would only be to get a solid base on the game of poker. If you have knowledge of the game I would suggest Jonathan Littles tournament series of books. I dont play cash so I wont say a thing about that book since I have not read it.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally you want to read the more recent content, but I'm not seeing a recent book by Harrington ... do you mean the tournament workbook or does he have a more recent one?

The original HOH series is a classic, and while some of the info is a bit outdated now, I think it would definitely be helpful for anyone to read again at this point!

Hey Collin,

Thanks for responding. Yes he came out with a “revised” version if you will, I think it came out in 2014?

“Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker.”

I’ve heard pro’s and con’s with sticking with his original series or going with his book on modern play. Mostly that his original series is too old for today’s game, and with his book on “modern” poker strategy can he truly talk about the advances/changes in the way the game is played today.

Just curious to hear players recommendations/advice.

Last edited:
sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dans tournament series was revolutionary when they came out and defined my early game. The problem is the game of poker has changes so much since then. If you were just starting I think this would be a fine set of books to read but it would only be to get a solid base on the game of poker. If you have knowledge of the game I would suggest Jonathan Littles tournament series of books. I dont play cash so I wont say a thing about that book since I have not read it.

Hey Ken,
Which series of books exactly? Little has so many out there. Just wanna be sure I know which ones you are talking about.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey Ken,
Which series of books exactly? Little has so many out there. Just wanna be sure I know which ones you are talking about.

The name of this series is "Secrets of professional tournament poker" vol 1,2 and 3. The 3rd one is a work book and I found it very beneficial.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Ken....I will check those books out.

Are they ok for a beginner?

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The name of this series is "Secrets of professional tournament poker" vol 1,2 and 3. The 3rd one is a work book and I found it very beneficial.
This is good information since I did not read these books. Thanks a lot.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like everything by Harrington. Yes, the updated one is more recent in terms of today's game but I still think the original vol 1 and 2 is worth a read.
There are gems in there but just keep in mind that some stuff is a little dated.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like everything by Harrington. Yes, the updated one is more recent in terms of today's game but I still think the original vol 1 and 2 is worth a read.
There are gems in there but just keep in mind that some stuff is a little dated.

Hey Amanda....

Do you recommend reading/studying Harrington’s most recent book on modern poker or just stick with his 3 book original series?

There’s major differences between the two, his original books are so conservative and his latest book is considerably different as far as starting hands and strategy.

I’m such a Harrington fan....just not sure how to proceed.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Harrington On Holdem series were definitely some of my favourites when first starting out online (& of course the Collin Moshmann book on Sit `n Goes... this book actually took me from being an ROI-10% player to a winning SNG player at around +10% in the micros & low level buyins).

As mentioned they are a bit outdated but for someone starting out I think they`d still provide a decent base to work from.

A series I enjoyed after the HOH series is the Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time, Vol.1 & Vol.2 (I was actually disappointed with vol.3). These are excellent books for someone who is playing Tournaments.... and although some of the bet sizing and concepts are a bit outdated, they are still excellent books (imo) for invoking the thought process of the reader.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read both. Both gives solid basic knowledge every poker player should know. If anyone tells you harringonton’s books are outdated, then they’re just nitpicking.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses everyone, it helped a lot!

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My favorite Harrington book is Harrington on online cash games. I reread several of the sections from time to time. Don't skip it just because it has cash games in the title. I believe it is his best book by far. However, if you are just getting started, I would read the tournament books first.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend more to see videos, learn to play more, books are good but psychology.

S

safarjozsef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington Book

[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]From Harrington Book in Hungarian
I bought these books:

MTT:

Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments, Volume I: Strategic Play
[/FONT]

Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments; Volume II: The Endgame

[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]Harrington on Hold 'Em: The Workbook: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments

CASH GAME:
[/FONT]

Harrington on Cash Games, Volume I: How to Play No-Limit Hold 'em Cash Games

Harrington on Cash Games, Volume II: How to Play No-Limit Hold 'em Cash Games

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have them all and yes they introduce concepts like 'M' which help you when thinking about the stage of the tourney. However, it is quite dated and isn't as relevant as you go up stakes. for micros, it is definitely worth a read.