with which hand do you call on the button ?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flat calling can sometimes be a profitable play, but you must be careful and analyze your opponent and stack well.

the flat call is when you call villain's bet with a medium hand or with showdown value, usually the best position to make this play is the button as you will see villain's action first.

here are some hands I flat call from the button:
to 10s
K10s
K Js
Q 10s
J Qs
J10s
10 9s

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It depends a lot on who's opening.

If you have an early position opening and you call with two suited Broadway's of medium strength, you never know if you are ahead if you hit a pair since he might have the better kicker. So that can be quite dangerous depending on the board.

I like to call behind with the opposite of my opponents range but a speculative hand when I'm deep enough for this play. For example in a recent MTT, I called behind with 87s from BN after an UTG open. It's unlikely he has either and 8 or a 7.
Board came 87x, so I had two pair and stacked off here just to win the pot against KK.

According to the books, when you're deep, you can always call behind with a pocket pair, suited aces or suited connectors to try to hit a winning hand. (A set, flush or straight)

But be careful who's opening and act accordingly. ☺️

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Low/ medium Pocket pairs, suited Ax, but it depends on stack, bet sieze and villans

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your stack and your opponents. General, I will flat call with AQ-A2s, K8s+, Q9s+, J9s+, 76s+, 44+. Calling or 3Bet with AQo, AJo, ATo. When you have more chips you can flat call with a wider range such as K5s+ or T8s, 54s,...

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends from the stack I had, and each situation, the more powerful hand the more easier I would call or raise.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing what kind of stack you have and your opponent, it is difficult to decide whether to call, you also need to understand what type of opponent is playing, tight or aggressive.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
A poker player should not discount their positions, and based on the position at a particular point in time, it is important to be able to extract maximum benefits. The position of the button in poker can influence the hand and allows you to establish a decision-making order. The button in poker is such a profitable place that you can win the pot even if you have rather weak hands. The right of the last word gives you the opportunity to represent premium hands through bluffs and semi-bluffs (the main thing is to confidently hold a poker face. And you can play there with virtually any card, because even with 2-3 in hand, a player can win.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at the action to me ie in front of me and the style and tendencies of anyone who limped in or made a raise and then consider the blinds how easy do they fold or do they fight for the blinds? So look at the whole situation then I generally raise ie 3 or 4 bet and/or make the squeeze play but make sure you look at stack sizes compared to your stack and if you can get them to fold preflop. Sometimes I mix it up and call with all those good speculative hands like small to medium pairs 22-88, broadway cards and suited aces A2-A8. These are good for multiwat pots and lots of big stacks that you can win if you smash the flop ie make. a set.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and suited connectors great for making strong draws flush and straight or combo draws.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the ones I like the most honestly are the suited connectors.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would flat call with many draw hands because you have position. I wonder if there is ever a case where limping on the button is a good play when no one has put any chips in the pot before you. I think that would look pretty suspicious but I might try that sometime

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flat calling can sometimes be a profitable play, but you must be careful and analyze your opponent and stack well.

the flat call is when you call villain's bet with a medium hand or with showdown value, usually the best position to make this play is the button as you will see villain's action first.

here are some hands I flat call from the button:
to 10s
K10s
K Js
Q 10s
J Qs
J10s
10 9s
I somewhat agree however I have found by flat calling others perceive it as a weakness and if you don't connect on the flop their Cbet will send you running whereas had you even min raised you could easily bluff a Cbet

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, flat calling is very situational. Obviously BTN is the best seat to do it from, because we are assured position postflop, unless someone in the blinds squeeze us out of the pot. But it also matter, which position the open came from, how large the open was, and what reads we have on the opener. Finally stack sizes are very important, including those of the players behind. If they are both sitting with 15-25BB, then calling sets up a perfect situation for them to jam. So if we expect that to happen a lot and dont have a hand, that want to call it off, then maybe we should fold or 3-bet rather than call.

reeseflamees

reeseflamees

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I only call at river if one pair or more raise to see If villiant call, but If villian raise or call I think again until next card and I raise again and just call at show down . This force opponent to tink Im a better play. So villian dont all in or dont raise again.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excellent tip, these connected cards of the same suit are the best options, and I particularly add 89 78 and 79 and 10Q 10K and JK of the same suit.

Congrats on the observation. Very good.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands