good shove and cooler?

n8boy

n8boy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so i make a shove and i'm pretty sure it was the right decision but want to make sure. so it goes like this

details:
i'm big stack in a 150 man tournament online, in the top 10. i'm 65 big blinds deep, villain is 97 bb deep

i'm in the big blind, under the gun raises 3x big blind hi jack calls and i complete with A 7 of hearts, flop comes down

4 of hearts 3 of clubs and 2 of hearts,
so i have a gutshot and a flush draw

under the gun bets pot, hi jack folds and i shove and get called and he ends up having pocket 3s

turn 3 of spades

river 10 of hearts

is this just a cooler like i think or should i of smooth called and saw what happend in later streets ?
thanks in advance

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You might have folded on the turn if he bet. What if he checked instead and let you complete your flush on the river? I don't really see a way for you to fold this unless you will fold your flush to the possibility of checked full houses or quads.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I couldn't get away from it. I call it a cooler.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That late in the tournament with villain having you covered, would have called. Shoving with paired board run out or no heart finds you on the rail. If you thought they fold to a shove, different story.

Ended up well for you. How did the rest of the tournament go?

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ended up well for you. How did the rest of the tournament go?
Am I missing something, or did they bust out to quad 3s with their nut flush. If that's the case, then I would imagine it was uneventful, for OP at least. :)

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
should have gone from check / call turn and rated on the river

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i had called on the turn...shove wasn t a good option...it s my opinion...

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind a shove in this spot as you have a lot of equity against any hand. I still think you are a litle deep for a shove, but since you are oop it makes it a bit more complicated. I dont like check call on the flop, because if you hits one of your outs it will possible kill all the action on later streets, as all of your outs are easy to spot. I guess you could check raise flop, and shove any turn as it may look a bit stronger, but this depends on what you think gives more fold equity.

I would fold this pre flop against a 3x raise from utg (full ring?), unless he is a huge fish. You got the flop you could hope for and are still not in great shape.

Just my 2 cents

P

Principg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should just fold pre-flop.
As played, i would just call on flop.
Probably outcome of the hand would be the same at the end, but as i said earlier, i would just fold pre-flop.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were me I would not shoved after he raised, but just called. If after the turn with the board pairing and probably getting raised I would have folded at that point. Had he not bet than I would have checked. With heart coming on the turn I would have called his bet or if I had position on him and he checked than I would have checked. That's my style of play of course. You may be more successful with your style of play though, so it would be a pretty tough call, but I definitely would not have shoved after the turn.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might have folded on the turn if he bet. What if he checked instead and let you complete your flush on the river? I don't really see a way for you to fold this unless you will fold your flush to the possibility of checked full houses or quads.
i thing the same about folded on the turn if the bet, if no and you see the river and you complete the flush, bet, but if he raise better to fold the cards

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so i make a shove and i'm pretty sure it was the right decision but want to make sure. so it goes like this

details:
i'm big stack in a 150 man tournament online, in the top 10. i'm 65 big blinds deep, villain is 97 bb deep

i'm in the big blind, under the gun raises 3x big blind hi jack calls and i complete with A 7 of hearts, flop comes down

under the gun bets pot, hi jack folds and i shove and get called and he ends up having pocket 3s

turn 3 of spades

river 10 of hearts

is this just a cooler like i think or should i of smooth called and saw what happend in later streets ?
thanks in advance
I think that at the flop, I could have fold because the board is not really good for us

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

details:

turn 3 of spades

river 10 of hearts

thanks in advance
I think that at the flop, I could have made a 4 bet if I have a good image and that he isn't to much bluffy. I semi bluff and if he says all in I fold

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop I see no reason to get involved at all. You've a healthy stack so no need to take risks, you'll be out of position after the flop and A-7 is a mediocre hand - no connectivity and if you do hit an A on the flop it's likely someone has an A with a higher kicker than yours. I would fold, but as you're last to act and deep-stacked I don't hate the call, you might flop a flush and win a big pot.
On the flop villain bets the pot, giving you 2-1 pot odds and suggesting he has a hand and is worried you're drawing to a better one. An over pair or two high cards would make sense with his actions so far. You're about 4-1 to hit your flush, too long for a call to be profitable but one could argue the implied odds make a call ok. I'd probably fold, but could call, depending on reads on villain (how many of his chips am I likely to win if I do hit?) and specifics of the situation, then re-evaluate on the turn.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that was a cooler, no way you got away from that hand on the river.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's A LOT of BB for a mediocre draw though you had the ace in case he had over pair. Im more than Ok with it 35BB or less...though it is a really volatile move at 67 BB there is a ton of poker to be played. Though more or less depending on how action would go the end result for be similiar. Those are my thoughts.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with LuisBoaC. With the raise under the gun a lot of hands have you dominated preflop. You hope to have a flop like this when playing Ah7H, but it also gets you into these situations where you are playing for your tournament life. Although it was a good draw, you were only about at 32 percent to win the hand.

710suited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop, you were at 48.51% vs 50.89%
Post flop, you were sitting at 31.7% vs 67.3%

Post-flop shove seems a bit too aggressive imo.

Even if they didn't hit the 3 on the turn, they are still a 77% favorite to win.

Aside from making quads, there were plenty of outs for them to make a boat as well.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you shove everytime you have a flush draw? I can't see how that's a good strategy in the long run. With a hand like that I would try to see more cards for as cheap as I can get, so just a call on the flop was a better approach. It's also worth mentioning that the pot odds are 2:1 which is the minimum you should be willing to take for a flush draw and that includes the bets on the turn, which means that, if the opponent bets the turn you would have been better folding on the flop.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in general it's a good move but you should be careful not to be too hasty you could play in a way to see the river

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definately wouldn't shove in that spot . He had you out chipped and too many in the pot to fold and you only had a draw . I would have put him on an over pair at least . Maybe you could've got away from the hand when the board paired on the turn . I usually won't shove with a draw unless I feel there is some fold equity and I don't think you had any in this hand .

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
normal play, it wasn't giant mistake for sure. Sometimes you even have to 3bet with this hand and play aggresively on flop and turn

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

details:

turn 3 of spades

river 10 of hearts

thanks in advance

Somehow too sharply you push in this situation. You have essentially unfinished combinations. I would play by calling. And I would wait for an improvement in the combination on the turn or fold my hand.