Getting over 'playing anxiety' after running bad

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

As in the title, I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and could share any tips/advice?

I'm a HUSNG player and I've been running badly for a while. I took a few coolers and ended up taking a couple of days off and dropping down to the micro stakes just to get back into the swing of it.

I'm just playing some one dollar matches, but I'm almost getting anxious joining a match, just because I'm not making hands and playing in games where I have little fold equity.

For example, I just played someone who was limping the button, I was raising with my stronger hands and he called 100%. He also called all of my min-raises and all of my c-bets so I gave up trying and started limping the button but he was raising to about 5x with everything. He just had something on every flop, I hit less than 10% flops and never anything above middle pair. He wasn't even a competent player either, he would limp and bet twice the pot if he made a strong hand, I just couldn't do anything about it as he called regardless if I led the turn when he checked it through.

It is what it is, I'm not necessarily bothered about the hands, or that match in particular, but it's been happening for a while where I'm just running dry and it's getting inside my head. I was playing regularly at the $7/$15 level previously and now I'm getting uncomfortable joining one dollar matches, so I definitely need to find a way to get back on the horse and sort it out.

Any advice appreciated :rock:

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easier said than done, but try to leave your emotions behind when you join the table. Trust the math and take it one hand at a time. When you lose, but you are confident that you played correctly, then feel good about yourself -- instead of feeling bad about the result.

That's all I can offer... this is very much a mental game issue.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

As in the title, I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and could share any tips/advice?

I'm a HUSNG player and I've been running badly for a while. I took a few coolers and ended up taking a couple of days off and dropping down to the micro stakes just to get back into the swing of it.

I'm just playing some one dollar matches, but I'm almost getting anxious joining a match, just because I'm not making hands and playing in games where I have little fold equity.

For example, I just played someone who was limping the button, I was raising with my stronger hands and he called 100%. He also called all of my min-raises and all of my c-bets so I gave up trying and started limping the button but he was raising to about 5x with everything. He just had something on every flop, I hit less than 10% flops and never anything above middle pair. He wasn't even a competent player either, he would limp and bet twice the pot if he made a strong hand, I just couldn't do anything about it as he called regardless if I led the turn when he checked it through.

It is what it is, I'm not necessarily bothered about the hands, or that match in particular, but it's been happening for a while where I'm just running dry and it's getting inside my head. I was playing regularly at the $7/$15 level previously and now I'm getting uncomfortable joining one dollar matches, so I definitely need to find a way to get back on the horse and sort it out.

Any advice appreciated :rock:

Ill tell you what i said to my daughter last night studying for today's test. Do your best and if the out come is you failed then accept the truth and move on. no test is going to make or brake the out come in your life. Same applies here. (funny having my 12 year old tell me that's deep dad. I told her retirement is more about deep thoughts than action.)

If your bank roll has you playing at 7/15 online then your obviously looking for a that a boy. Live play it equates to around 25/50 in my opinion and I'm not there yet. But I'm just happy waiting on step five tourney in the Venom so i'm easy to please.

Keep playing your game and I'm sure you will be ahead in the long run. Maybe ill see you at the tables. Doubt it tho.:2in1:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have dealt with passive tilt several times after bad beats. I have adjusted my game to where it no longer affects my decisions or play. But passive tilt is a real thing. Poker anxiety very real. The mental game of poker is a great book that I have read when it comes to helping with things like this.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUSNGs are certainly a fun game type but I believe they’re also one where your mental game is even more important than some other game types—especially since you’re providing half the action in every single hand!

I’d recommend taking a little break from actually playing, and using that time to study and continue to improve as a player in that way without actually hitting the tables. I’d suggest waiting until playing no longer makes you feel somewhat anxious as you described. If you’re the same as I am, studying poker will help you to become excited to play poker again and you’ll be back at the tables (and having a blast) in no time! Best of luck :)

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's calling you 100% you should really tighten up and instead of limping button just fold it and keep folding until you have a hand, then put in the chips.

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you everyone for the kind responses. You're all a good bunch on here, some forums you can't feel comfortable posting on for the replies you will get, but certainly not here. Thanks again and good luck all

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you everyone for the kind responses. You're all a good bunch on here, some forums you can't feel comfortable posting on for the replies you will get, but certainly not here. Thanks again and good luck all

I totally agree with your kind words about this forum, CardsChat is awesome! So glad you got some replies that should help, good luck and hope you’re having a nice weekend :)

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take some time, drink some water, breath. And then, only then, come back to game. Do not try to get your money immediately.

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear and anxiety have their own proper place and movement within my thought process. When this concept is not in its proper place then this concept can plunge thoughts into the Abyss, this Abyss will also lead the player back out again, back to nothingness of thought in which all thoughts are pure again all seems right for the brain to make decisions again properly.

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happens for the brain when playing is the concept of anxiety from which poker puts the brain in these moments over and over? How do we improve to be better with our movements to be consistent within our game in spite of knowing the concept of anxiety of how the brain will deal with its own mortality? Then having to make poker decisions each day, each stage, each final table, each final decision of, each last potential hand, and about the unknown; the vastness, abstractness of poker?