FT mistake?

R

Roockie4Life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, just want your opion: Did I make a mistake?
I'm on the final table, still 9 players in play. I'm in 3th position with just over 1M chips. I pick up QQ UTG and raise 2.7BB (around 167K). The SB, who has been pretty agressive, shoves for 850K.
I make the call and he turns over AA. Busted at 8th in the end. Never realy recoverd from the chiploss.

Did I make a mistake by calling? Could I lay down the QQ?

3ccasd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made the right move, if there were no short stacks at the table
You can tell what cards are on the board?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given your description of the SB, probably wasn't a mistake. But then again we don't know the other stack sizes or the payouts so we can't really see the ICM implications.

D

Dodgethis2k

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson says to never go broke with a Q in your hand pre-flop. You had two, but you nearly went broke. There was a stretch near the end of NBC's Poker After Dark TV show run where Phil Hellmuth started limping with big hands such as QQ and AK. I've been doing that with some success. The thinking is that with less money in the pot it is easier to get away from a hand...even a good one. I'm sure the payout for 3rd was better than 8th (they always are). Try the strategy sometime. You don't have to use it exclusively, but it can be an effective tool in your poker arsenal. Also good to remember that even an aggressive jackhole can catch AA sometimes.

"Not calling a raise is only a SMALL mistake."
He went on to finish 2nd. When he folded several more people were still in.

Steve Dannenmann and his notes on how to win the Main Event

Last edited:
Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an easy call especially if it was an aggressive player. If it was a tight player I think its a mistake to fold QQ as you still beat a lot of shoving hands like JJ-99. He only has like 13-15 big blinds so he has to make a move. It seems like a mistake to not jam 10s there.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me there is no mistake and it was an easy call but you were not lucky

R

Roockie4Life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To give an idea of the other stacks: on my left a shorty with 2 shortstacks with 400K, 1 with 600K, 2 with 1M and 1 bigstack with 3M

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To my mind, you did the right thing, so speaking about this definite game, your strategy was the best at that time!)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
We have some ICM pressure here. If I calculated correctly you had about 17bbs and the sb has about 14bbs. So you are talking about a turbo tournament right? The play was just fine for me. I would call there as well. I don't think that I would muck my ladies there, you had him covered and this is a nice spot to eliminate an opponent and accumuate his chips. You were just unlucky and you flipped against the AA there. :)

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mistake with QQ final table?? lmao i shove with 22 final table busted at 9th im going to sleep phill hellmuth come in my dream he said welldone nutthink welldone..

D

Dr Peeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you made the right play, just happens...

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way you are folding QQ in this spot, it was just unlucky for you that opponent had AA.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This situation is always happen at FT.
Most of players should take All-in strategy, not fold.
Under big blind, you can't escape.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet you didn't use the pink final table cover, so that must have been it ;P

Not very familiar with ICM so I'll let someone else do the maths here, but don't think I could lay down my queens as well in that spot.

Anyways still congrats on reaching the final table, the field was huge :D (assuming this is the one we played in together right?)

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think You did correct choice.
Maybe if you have had more notes about this aggressive player.. does he raise only with AA etc. then maybe you would have some information to fold. If situation would been opposite, you with AA and opponent with QQ and flop gives third Q...