Freeroll only

I

InkyDinkyDoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do any of you mostly play freerolls only, across multiple sites? If so how is it working out for you?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls

Do any of you mostly play freerolls only, across multiple sites? If so how is it working out for you?

Yes I play primarily Freerolls until I can win enough $$$ to enter MTTs and SitNgo's.
I have found this relatively easy to do on 888 Poker as their Freerolls have long lists of payouts, as well the daily freebies on GG work well to gain $$$:):):)

Jimlad999

Jimlad999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play alot of freerolls as on the odd occasion you do hear of players getting into the big tournaments from them.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play freeroll when I win a tournament, I participate in low tournaments. They serve to learn that they have a bit more excitement and seriousness than play money tournaments. Each player has their expectations and their times and in my case freeroll tournaments are the right thing for me at this moment, in which I manage to improve my game, maybe it starts with tournaments of great value.

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CC I guess freeroll's regulars sanctuary)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, many CC members do.

I spent my entire first year as a CC member (once Platinum) playing nothing but free rolls and built bankrolls of several sites. It takes discipline however to avoid the temptation of using the gains to buy in to other tourneys.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It only works if you have time to fit in all the tournaments. If so, it is clear that you should do it

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I make about a hundred dollars a year.

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, many CC members do.

I spent my entire first year as a CC member (once Platinum) playing nothing but free rolls and built bankrolls of several sites. It takes discipline however to avoid the temptation of using the gains to buy in to other tourneys.
What's wrong with playing for buy-ins?):confused:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What's wrong with playing for buy-ins?):confused:

InkyDinkyDoo asked if any of us mostly played free rolls and I answered him.

Where did I (or anyone) state there was something wrong with buy-ins?

I set a course to play nothing but free rolls and then review where I stood after some months, but then decided to go for the entire year.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use to play some freerolls on different sites..but I combine them just some regular mtts to keep my number of tables up

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
InkyDinkyDoo asked if any of us mostly played free rolls and I answered him.

Where did I (or anyone) state there was something wrong with buy-ins?

I set a course to play nothing but free rolls and then review where I stood after some months, but then decided to go for the entire year.
Oops, that's it.:D I just got the gist wrong:D

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play freerolls at 888, ACR and pokerstars usually, sometimes freerolls at party poker, as soon as i make 2-3 $ i load a tournament for a shot

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm only playing at pokerstars, I never made a deposit and I already have an opening balance. Soon I will start playing on other platforms, like 888.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
both, freerolls, buyins, home cash game, anything to pass time

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, this is a small pocket money. If you do not lose this money at the cash tables.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the moment I only play freerolls and try to create something out of nothing: I think it's a nice way and a difficult way, but I really enjoy it

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think you can learn alot as a beginner in freeroll. The main parts are in the freeroll similiar to normal tourneys. Some player are more aggressiv because the did not invest own money. But you have the chance to try some styles out. And you did not loss your bankroll. You can test whats your point in game were do you feel comfortable.

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mostly freerolls, and then sometimes use money won there on cash games or low buy-in tournies. It would be wiser to build up some cash I know, but I don't have the discipline.

Last edited:
Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I use the freerolls to build a small bankroll, and then I use that bankroll to try and run it up even higher. Most people call this the "Zero To Hero Challenge" or similar. Poker professional Chris "Jesus" Ferguson is famous for running zero dollars up to 10K back on one of the sites years ago (not sure if it was full tilt poker or not).

How is it working out? In a word, stellar. :) (Edit to add: I only play tournaments, I am 100% an MTT'er, I never ever play cash games)

I won't list site names, but I'll just say on one site I've been flirting with a 4-figure bankroll (meaning I'm hovering just shy of 1000), and on the other site which has a much smaller player base, I've run my zero dollar bankroll up over 60 and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I went from a high point of 58 down to 36 and I was beginning to seriously worry that it was gonna be a failure... but it was Cardschat to the rescue. :D I recently won my first CC freeroll to return my roll to just beyond my previous highwater mark.

While I don't know if I'll ever win life-changing money, that has never been my goal in poker anyway. I play poker because I love to play poker, I've never played poker to "win money". Money is merely a tool, and winning money allows me to play more tournaments and play at the higher ability levels so I can test myself and grow my game.

I couldn't be happier these days, it is going wonderfully. It's not all positivity, I've been stuck around 950 on that one site for about 4 months now, I'm back in a bit of a rut, but obviously I'm still winning enough to keep me steady, I'm not losing my shirt or anything, I'm holding my own and just waiting for that next big score. I always have full confidence there will always be a big score in my future, it's just a matter of how long it will take me.

K

kngofpkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't work so.. freerolls are the best for me. :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sort of...well not quite, but I know many CardsChat members do this. I live in the USA and ever since Black Friday, how gambling should be legalized or regulated has been fairly controversial and political. As of now, many of the sites available to other players around the globe I still do not have access to. If this situation changes, then I might like to expand to playing freerolls more often across various sites and see how I do :)

Right now, I only play the CardsChat freerolls on ACR and play chip games on PokerStars.net (pokerstars.com with real money [including freerolls] are not legal in my state yet. Well at least not in a player pool outside of the state).

Yes, many CC members do.

I know what you mean. I've been utilizing the most out of my freeroll access on CardsChat too ever since I reached Platinum. I hope to use discipline and bankroll management to slowly build up enough money to "move up" to the micros (live or online, but preferably live) and see how I do. It takes a long time to build up a bankroll in the freerolls though - luckily, I've got the time and patience :D Plus, I know the skills are mostly transferable (granted different stakes play differently sometimes but poker is poker), so the hope is to get "good" at freerolls and use that experience for real money games in the future.

It only works if you have time to fit in all the tournaments. If so, it is clear that you should do it

I'm usually fairly busy, but I make time for my poker ;)

I make about a hundred dollars a year.

Nice. We probably won't get super rich off of freerolls, but hey; 100 bucks is 100 bucks :D

At the moment I only play freerolls and try to create something out of nothing: I think it's a nice way and a difficult way, but I really enjoy it

For sure, it isn't a piece of cake and it is time consuming. This is why most players are probably better just "depositing" a poker bankroll to start from than grinding up from nothing. I'm doing it the long way though; worked up from literally nothing and the freerolls have been serving me well so far :)

I think you can learn alot as a beginner in freeroll. The main parts are in the freeroll similiar to normal tourneys. Some player are more aggressiv because the did not invest own money. But you have the chance to try some styles out. And you did not loss your bankroll. You can test whats your point in game were do you feel comfortable.

+1 Exactly how I feel :cool:

Mityamoriss

Mityamoriss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly freerolls and sometimes MTT’s