Foolish & or Lucky

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is due to the fact that it is a freeroll that some players play this way, not caring about bet amounts, is it ?? There are some who even making a big pre-flop raise, if they have any suited hands, they call.
I think you did it right, just on the river where I think the bet was unnecessary.
A third bet, even more because he called a bet pot on the turn, he will only call if he is winning from your hand or at least drawing.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the beginning of the tournament, and a suited 24 is no weaker than your hand... + The opponent is on the small blind.. He didn't want to give up his chips and decided to see the flop.. His call + the size of the blinds now and the number of his chips allow him to call easily and not worry... I don't see anything extreme, sorry... If speaking further, when he gets an open flush draw, it's almost impossible to out certain players...

I would think more of you, when you raise the 9J hand... It's don't look this normal) + have you seen a flush draw on the flop? Your mistake, you did not carefully read the opponent and prepared a huge pot, when nothing was clear and the river killed you... It is necessary to be able to read the situation and the opponent, in this situation your mistake is obvious... You were very quick and you already saw the victory in your head... but the game wasn't over, think about this ;)

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes this happens. When I play a card, I play everything in a row and any hand can unexpectedly beat a very strong opponent's hand. Therefore, this is a common situation.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It's a freerol and people sometimes play the most impossible hands because they don't risk money. I already had that I had another freerol AA in hand and an opponent went allin preflop so I called him. Then 224 came on the flop and I didn't hit anything so I was out. But I learned from it that an allin preflop is always dangerous and that you don't win automatically just because you have AA. But because of your hand, you got straigt but there was already a flush draw on the flop and that should be a warning because the player called after your raise, so very likely had a flush draw. You should always watch how the opponent reacts to a raise, and then on the river he went all in, why do you call after you could clearly see that he has probably made his flush? J9 is not really a hand that I would raise preflop but rather fold but as I said it was just a freerol and everyone should play their game as it suits them best

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This occurred in the PS Cards Chat Freeroll and I can't for the life of understand how a hand like 24 can call three 1/2 pot bets...

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224RHeNC8

and win:):):)

Number one, its a freeroll and number two - your half pot bets gave him a good price to see the turn...NEVER calling the river raise here. It's always a better straight or the flush (maybe not in freerolls...but anyhow).

Your preflop open is a Tick loose from the HJ seat - J9o is a CO open. Next, the SB calling range should be suited connectors like 78+, broadway cards, and pocket pairs - this being said this flop should absolutely smash the SB calling range and we should be checking back our bottom pair and gutshot in order to try and reach showdown cheaply and realize our gutshot equity. If you cbet this flop and then get raised - you are going to be forced to fold and are wasting chips.

Why are you cbetting this board? Is it for value, or are you turning your hand into a bluff? If it's a value bet - then what worse hands is your villan going to call you with? I'm not finding very many aside from flush draws...so our target range is very minimal - another good reason I prefer a check back here on the flop.

The bet size on the turn is too small...you see recreational players using what I call "lazy bets" all day instead of using dynamic sizing - you drilled the straight, now charge your villan for their two pair combos and sticky flush draws!! A bet of 60%-70% pot here will not only give flush draws a bad price to call (which doesn't mean they won't - just means they are making a mistake when they do call) and you are getting value from two pair combos that may possibly find a river fold but cannot on the turn.

The river is what it is and I would probably elect to either blocker bet this river (20% pot) or check and evaluate a call. If our blocker bet gets raised - villan should never be raising without the flush, and generally a good one. Maaaaaaybe AJ gets out of line and finds a raise...but even when they do, they are putting themselves in a situation where they should only be getting called by a flush.

Never call for a chop, learn to pot control instead and range your opponents better instead of blasting away without knowing why. You post the hand because you lost the hand and are missing sight of all the other mistakes you are making and should be fixinf rather than whining because your opponent getting there on the river. I hope this is helpful.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There were mistakes made on both sides in this hand.

Preflop
Both hands should have been folded, so this whole situation should not even have happened. There was no ante yet, so we need to play tighter than normal, because there is less dead chips to fight for. Jon Poker suggest, that J9o is an open from CO. Without ante I would say, its only an open from BTN and a fold from every other seat including SB. 42s is obviously also a fold from SB.

Flop
42s should check to the preflop aggressor. J9o should check back. A lot of hands connect with this board, so its not one, we want to be C-betting to wide. Also we have some showdown value, and we are far ahead of the hands, that will fold, like low pairs or small suited connectors. When facing a half pot C-bet, 42s should call. They clearly cant fold, when they flopped a flushdraw, and even though they have zero showdown value, I would not check-raise and run a bluff on this particular board with this particular hand.

Turn
42s should check again. J9o should bet for value after turning a straight. I would go around 60-65% pot. I dont understand, why people are talking about a half pot bet? I see a full pot bet in the replayer, and thats to large in my opinion. Its a 1-liner to a straight, and if I faced a full pot bet with a hand as strong as even top two pair, I would seriously consider folding it. Facing this sizing 42s should fold. They are not getting the right odds to draw, and they could also be dominated by QX, JX of 9X of diamonds, in which case they are drawing dead.

River
42s made the flush on the end, and I would have donk-jammed for the last 70% pot. Its a very obvious play, but I think, its more likely, a straight check back rather than fold. J9o lose to the frontdoor flush and to AJ, and should check back now, especially after betting full pot on the turn. If J9o bet here, all worse hands will fold, and only better hands or chops will call. This is sometimes referred to as a game theory disaster bet or a value bluff, and this is something, we never want to be doing, because its very bad (quote Doug Polk).

Results
So you ended up losing to a flush, and yes that sucks. But its also a part of the game. It will happen now and then, and it can not be avoided. What can be avoided is to lose almost all your chips by overplaying your hand. So this is, what you need to focus on to improve your results.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normal situation, I play like that myself sometimes)))

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And what is so incomprehensible?
Quite a normal hand, although small, but these are suit connectors, why not play.
But to make a call on the re-raise-ollin was stupid, the hand clearly shows that the opponent has a flush draw, and he played very straightforwardly, quite readable.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a freeroll, very few people will fold the flash draw)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
foolish, and lucky, those hands do not hold up 95% of the time

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They do not pay money and therefore play stupidly. Many of them do not know how to play and therefore call everything.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard play,,,new to poker? :p Trying to get player's to fold by betting is only 1 way to win a pot,,,you have to mix-up your game or player's will continue to exploit your simple game,,,

Robsant

Robsant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker is just playing with good cards it wouldn't be fun to play it would turn into a game just by luck everyone would only play with AA KK and so on this is the good thing about playing with all my cards

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any hand pre-flop has a chance to win. At the calculator villain has 35,91%. He want to see the flop with his speculative hand and made a flush draw and tried it.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with a couple of the detailed explanations above.

BUT....... I will say in online poker the foolish get lucky!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a case of who played it worse. Yes, maybe trying to steal preflop but without antes and relative small blinds not really worth it with this hand. Sb calling is very loose but I guess such small amount relative to stack, wanted to speculate.

psycodelic1

psycodelic1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alw1ys the variance ... just gonna loose some pots sometimes...

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Such situations happen very often. Sometimes it is annoying, but nevertheless such situations are an integral part of the game.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course 42 suited is a bit wide opening range, but from late position it is quite acceptable !!! I cannot understand your game. Did you see the flush closed and there might be a straight up to an ace on the board, your opponent moved all-in after checking, which almost always means a strong range, and you called anyway ???
PS: In my opinion, calling 700 chips from his side is also a mistake !!!