To fold or not to fold?

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still getting a handle on adjusting to MTTs, so I'm curious about this spot.

Full ring UTG raiser with 39 BB, I'm in SB with JJ and 31BB. I've 63 hands on this player, they've a VP 19 PFR 6, fold v 3B 100% so fairly tight.

They min raise 2BB and I 3 bet to 5BB, the other caller folds so we're heads up.

Flop comes K55, I check and they continue for half pot. I elected to fold thinking that UTG has a lot of Kx hands in his range, but I'm wondering if it's too tight?

Was my 3 bet too small? Do you continue on this texture? Should I have cBet rather than checked? If I were playing cash I'd probably not be folding to a single bet but I folded to preserve my stack in this case.

MetaDon7577

MetaDon7577

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can safely bet a third of the pot and not be afraid. Checkfold is also a good solution for such a board.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is is tight but his raising is very small. He raised UTG as well so he is very limited here. I am a bit confused by your saying the other caller folded. Was there a call of the raise or was he the BB? I will say he the BB. Your 3bet was too small here in my opinion as for only 3BB more he most likely will call with everything he raised here. He only is raising 6% of hand and UTG should be tighter so what would he raise? AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK. Maybe AQ and TT but not much more. That King hits a lot of his range. Once you check "I would have "Cbet this flop" he probably will be betting his total range here and considering what he could have you are very likely beat so I think your fold is most likely correct here. IF he had raised say on the button I would not have folded this flop but again considering he is UNG i think your fold was most likely correct.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably would have cbet here.
even if he hits the king he has to respect the possibility that you did as well and might be dominating him. Still foldable after a re-raise.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say your 3 bet here is too small. I am thinking something on the larger side of things since you are OOP and you don't want to give a good price. I think 6.5BB or 7BB would be the correct sizing.

As played I would definitely C bet here and really not be all that flop dependent. Even if an ace flops you can still rep it fairly easily. I like a small flop C bet of 35-40% of pot and then go from there. If your opponent calls the flop then see what the turn brings. You did not mention his fold to C bet stats so not sure if those were available to you but that would be key information here after seeing how your opponent reacts to your C bet.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 3bet is small, I would play a 50% bet on the flop if he would call the next street to check fold.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I think that youre 3bet was to small. Wit pair of jacks, you should have raised more. The hand would probably have been a lot different.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you did right ,you dont have to risk when there is a k on table specially that he called that means he has big cards

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what do you think, how often will he bet on the flop after our check7 and with what range? and my opinion is that a larger 3bet should be placed

Folding in Poker