Blinds 60/120
Villain stack: 6000-7000
My stack: 4500-5000

I raised to 2,05 BB, villain just calls, and we get to the flop:

Q 2 9 rainbow

I bet 38% of the pot

Villain shoves

Call or fold? what would you do?

Because it was micro stakes, and he just called from this position i insta thought that he had JTs, A9 or KQ/QJ/QT/Q9
Didnt thought that Q2 or 92 was possible
I was blocking QQs, so didnt thought about it, and he could possibly have 22s or 99s, but i dont think that those hands insta shoves
Also QQs whould tribet, there is a possibility of 99s tribet two

Last edited:
Kinginthenorth

Kinginthenorth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
90/10

I guess there's a small possibility, that he flipped a set or weak played KK or AA pre-flop, but I'm insta-calling, 😎 ,assuming the guy hadn't been playing tighter than a frogs ass. Then I'd at least consider the fold?

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think its an easy call
floping top pair with top kicker

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess there's a small possibility, that he flipped a set or weak played KK or AA pre-flop, but I'm insta-calling, �� ,assuming the guy hadn't been playing tighter than a frogs ass. Then I'd at least consider the fold?

Yeah, because it was microstakes i thought that slow playing AAs and KKs is very unlikly, so i called and he had a set of 99s :(
And then i spend a lot of time thinking if i had to fold there

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately in this situation your opponent often has a better hand than you. But it is difficult to fold top pair with top kicker. In addition, the flop looks pretty safe. Only a few draws are possible. I would very likely have called too. He might really have something like KQ. You may have to change your preflop strategy in the middle of the tournament. In early position you can fold AQ preflop. It's just very risky to play AQ out of position. You cannot judge how good your hand really is. You often don't know where you stand. Postflop it will be very difficult or even impossible to fold your hand. That's why you tend to play tighter in the middle of the tournament.

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately in this situation your opponent often has a better hand than you. But it is difficult to fold top pair with top kicker. In addition, the flop looks pretty safe. Only a few draws are possible. I would very likely have called too. He might really have something like KQ. You may have to change your preflop strategy in the middle of the tournament. In early position you can fold AQ preflop. It's just very risky to play AQ out of position. You cannot judge how good your hand really is. You often don't know where you stand. Postflop it will be very difficult or even impossible to fold your hand. That's why you tend to play tighter in the middle of the tournament.
This is a very lucid and well thought out analysis.
I am learning a lot from these forums and exchanges.
Thank you all.

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap Fold.

Even if you win the hand, you don't win the tourney. So why risk it. Your stack is deep. I think you find better spots with better risk:reward oppty later in the tourney.

Additionally, although it looks like he is protecting Top Pair Weak Kicker, I wouldn't put it past him to be shoving his 22 or 99. it's early tourney and it's only $3, but if I don't want to rebuy or can't, then I just fold and keep an eye on this player for a better spot knowing now that he is willing to 3bet shove vs my cbet.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's an easy call. You have the top of your range and facing just a call pre, we can easily put the villain on a worse Q or straight draw. Are there times you're going to run into a set? Yes. I just think our hand is too strong to fold in this situation.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap Fold.

Even if you win the hand, you don't win the tourney. So why risk it. Your stack is deep. I think you find better spots with better risk:reward oppty later in the tourney.

Additionally, although it looks like he is protecting Top Pair Weak Kicker, I wouldn't put it past him to be shoving his 22 or 99. it's early tourney and it's only $3, but if I don't want to rebuy or can't, then I just fold and keep an eye on this player for a better spot knowing now that he is willing to 3bet shove vs my cbet.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

I do agree with this point of view as well. It is so early on and we have so many big blinds that we can fold and pick a different spot. It really depends on your read on the situation. Is this a player that calls a lot pre? Is this a normal action for this player? Do they normally shove when they have it?

Kinginthenorth

Kinginthenorth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough

I've said already said, after briefly considering a set possibility, I'd call, I would have thought no way he has set or he would have made a smaller raise, wanting a call since the flop was harmless to him. His shove would have baited me into the call, which if intentional would be nice move on his part. Too good in fact to be playing micro in the first place. You can drive yourself crazy thinking about the coulda/shoulda of hands like this, just quickly evaluate and move on, as long as you're trying to be on the right side of the %% instead of a goldfish riding a donkey, you should have a clean conscience.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a three dollar tournament, I would definitely answer him.Most likely I would put everything in front of the proflop on AQ(lol)

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should fold and take a note that he's a "fit or fold" kind of player, who shoves his best hands as soon as he get one. Which means if he got to the river without shoving, he almost never has anything above top pair. You can capitalize on that and rob him at the river as much as you want.
He'll have no idea, how can you know every time about his bad hands :bird:
GL:cool:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WTF is Villain Doing?

Tournment: MICRO Big 3.3$
My position: UTG + 1
My hand: AQs
Villain position: CO

Blinds 60/120
Villain stack: 6000-7000
My stack: 4500-5000

I raised to 2,05 BB, villain just calls, and we get to the flop:

Q 2 9 rainbow

I bet 38% of the pot

Villain shoves

Call or fold? what would you do?

Because it was micro stakes, and he just called from this position i insta thought that he had JTs, A9 or KQ/QJ/QT/Q9
Didnt thought that Q2 or 92 was possible
I was blocking QQs, so didnt thought about it, and he could possibly have 22s or 99s, but i dont think that those hands insta shoves
Also QQs whould tribet, there is a possibility of 99s tribet two

Why is Villain doing this?

Is this a value shove or a bluff?

If you don't know this player then they could have absolutely anything.

I have called in this situation to see my opponent show AQo KQo QJo QTo Qxs JT smaller pair Ax T9 T8s and also total and complete air.

I have also been stacked by Q9 KK a set - JT that gets there - two pair draw that gets there.

I'm not calling because I'm curious. I'm calling because he doesn't know I flopped top top.

Only KK, Q9 or a set hopes that I flopped top top so I can call his value shove.

I have met players who are betting that I don't have any of that flop.

If the villain did this on the river it might be a much much tougher call and I might fold.

But the risk reward in tournament play - many books say to fold here.

Again though - it's the shove that is so suspicious to me.

Last edited:
G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is Villain doing this?

Is this a value shove or a bluff?

If you don't know this player then they could have absolutely anything.

I have called in this situation to see my opponent show AQo KQo QJo QTo Qxs JT smaller pair Ax T9 T8s and also total and complete air.

I have also been stacked by Q9 KK a set - JT that gets there - two pair draw that gets there.

I'm not calling because I'm curious. I'm calling because he doesn't know I flopped top top.

Only KK, Q9 or a set hopes that I flopped top top so I can call his value shove.

I have met players who are betting that I don't have any of that flop.

If the villain did this on the river it might be a much much tougher call and I might fold.

But the risk reward in tournament play - many books say to fold here.

Again though - it's the shove that is so suspicious to me.

This is a real hand in Bounty 3.3$
I called with top top and he was with 99s
Very lucky about my Toptop, if i had any other hand he wouldnt take any value
Micro stakes players, it sucks.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should fold and take a note that he's a "fit or fold" kind of player, who shoves his best hands as soon as he get one. Which means if he got to the river without shoving, he almost never has anything above top pair. You can capitalize on that and rob him at the river as much as you want.
He'll have no idea, how can you know every time about his bad hands :bird:

GL:cool:

that is a pretty good idea! i think the best i read on this thread
thank you all guys for the advices and notes
have a good game!

Folding in Poker