Fold AA PreFlop?

JBGambler

JBGambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Have you ever folded AA pre flop? Well I had almost always read that pair of Aces is always Raise or All In, it has always been easi my game, until one day I was forced to fold A-A pre flop, the question is why?
Well I was in bubble can say we were 10 players and charged the first two positions, and I was on the button, both went All in before me, choose to fold because he had the same chips about them and one was going to go safe

Last edited by a moderator:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Have you ever folded AA pre flop? Well I had almost always read that pair of Aces is always Raise or All In, it has always been easi my game, until one day I was forced to fold A-A pre flop, the question is why?
Well I was in bubble can say we were 10 players and charged the first two positions, and I was on the button, both went All in before me, choose to fold because he had the same chips about them and one was going to go safe

The question is have you ever folded AA pre-flop.. My answer, Yes.

I have folded AA pre on the bubble of a few satellite's where villain had me covered. I've never folded them pre in any other circumstance. Only other one I would consider folding them pre is the circumstance someone once asked. and while I know it will probably never happen it's still an interesting thought. In the WSOP main event $10,000 buy in and one of the most prestigious tournaments arguably in the world. It is the very first hand dealt, everyone has a stack of 50,000 chips. Every player shoves and you're last to act and look down at Ace's do you call or fold, and why?

M

Matteobvb83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never folded AA preflop and I think I will not ever! perhaps just the bubble of an important satellite if I ever were to happen. It is the strongest starting hand in the game and rarely happens.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not remember very well but I think that if I have folded with AA once, I think that time I played very calm and saw the play on the table (I do not remember what it was) and since it is very close to the bubble I decided not to risk it, I think that after that I have not folded with AA, despite being the strongest pair can not always win with them, and it will always be difficult not to play with them regardless of how you decide to play it is always difficult and more if you are close to the bubble

L

lalaguna29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry my bad english
and I thought he was the only one who had folded A-A in a bubble. And I've seen several A-As lost in the bubble and that's why I decided to fold them.
regards

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm in a big satellite and its on the bubble and I have enough of a stack to cruise into the payouts I will fold AA pre-flop with ease.

Another situation would be if I satty'd into a huge tournament like 10k buy-in for like 50 bucks and it's the money bubble and I have plenty of chips. Here a min cash is like a 9,900 profit so I am folding very willingly.

Other than those I can't imagine a situation where I would fold AA pre-flop. Maybe if it's hand one of the wsop Main Even and I'm in the BB and the whole table goes all-in in front of me.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have never folded aces preflop and never will. In a satellite on the bubble yes but in a tournament never.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps, as many have said here, if this is a big satellite or a bubble, then you can throw AA preflop. But I haven't played big expensive tournaments yet, so fold AA preflop only if miss click. If you don’t play with AA on the preflop stack, then which hand should you play with?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have folded AA pre on the bubble of a few satellite's where villain had me covered. I've never folded them pre in any other circumstance. Only other one I would consider folding them pre is the circumstance someone once asked. and while I know it will probably never happen it's still an interesting thought. In the WSOP main event $10,000 buy in and one of the most prestigious tournaments arguably in the world. It is the very first hand dealt, everyone has a stack of 50,000 chips. Every player shoves and you're last to act and look down at Ace's do you call or fold, and why?

Easy call. It's not a satellite and you have best pre hand. If you fold then you shouldn't play tournaments if you don't take +ev spots. There are too many people left in tournament to even consider to fold it.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy call. It's not a satellite and you have best pre hand. If you fold then you shouldn't play tournaments if you don't take +ev spots. There are too many people left in tournament to even consider to fold it.

that's not 100% true. You have to look at the 9 other (random hands) and the chances those hands hitting to figure out if it's truly a +EV spot, it's a highly controversial question and has been argued back and forth by many for quite a while. Not to mention how deep you are and you would have to assume you are against another pair of Ace's so your chances of hitting a set are gone.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only on the bubble when prize pool is worth it (and even in this case it's super hard decision lol).

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I was not letting go of AA for anything! only in case of satellite that did not involve money, the chance of you pulling the daughters of the two players who went all in is too big! and that would give you 1 or 2 place, this gives a very big painjump, this is my thinking AA has to play.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason to fold it pre-flop if you are very close to making it into the money and you can't afford to take any risks with your short stack. But then again if you are aiming for a better placement you might aswell go all in with it so you can potentionally make more money at the table.

I think I did it once when I was up against 2 all ins and they had me covered so that I didn't want to risk it.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two handed and regardless of tourney position - i will never fold AA.

If you are playing to min cash and the blinds are crushing you - then i understand players who feel itm is the most important factor but i play to win, i play the same whether its league or real money poker...

Y

yurok42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I threw out it АА what I remember clearly!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA against 9 random hands EASY EASY FOLD. do an odds calculator even if no one has the other 2 aces you are only about a 33% favorite and you are covered, this is your tournament life. i dont care what tournament your in the hand is an easy fold there. the only exception is if you want to chance it and have 10000 to reenter go for it. i would fold.

M

moisimoia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always fold AA preflop if someone raises

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would not put money into the main event as it is like $10,000 + $11,500 fees considering the 47% tax. It is also the worst of a high roller (tough competition) and worst of large field a lot of sustained luck needed. I'd snap fold in your given situation. If you win you win worthless chips, no sense in rushing a multi-day MTT, also at 9 max your hand is probably like 40% to win.

M

moisimoia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not put money into the main event as it is like $10,000 + $11,500 fees considering the 47% tax. It is also the worst of a high roller (tough competition) and worst of large field a lot of sustained luck needed. I'd snap fold in your given situation. If you win you win worthless chips, no sense in rushing a multi-day MTT, also at 9 max your hand is probably like 40% to win.

That's a very good explanation

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never have and never will fold them pre flop:):):)

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only in satelites so far :D

Havent come across a situation yet where i would fold my AA preflop, and i cant
imagine i will ever, but never say never ;)

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I did not push the aces preflop, and the flop at the draw came draw, I'm ready to see the turn and throw, especially in Omaha, and I will clearly underdog, in this hand, as it is logical that my hand will rearrange Ax with a hit in the draw, or if it is a multipot, I have already lost. Generally, these cards need to either push immediately if the table sits very many short, or maniacs, can be applied slowplay, but if everyone is sitting deep, it is better just to shove despite the result.

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to fold AA regardless of the position that does not risk it does not win :) :)

X

xx02pl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i play satellite, I often fold AA preflop. In regular MTT never

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold aa

i have never fold aa.
even if i was in your position i wouldn t fold
if destine is to loose the aa.....then loose.
aa hand has always to be respected.

Folding in Poker