Fold AA ALL IN pre flop

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay. The question is at least odd. But to make sure we're on the right track sometimes the obvious has to be discussed! Is there any situation that can be more profitable folding AA preflop? Ex. By ICM? Half of the tournament you are in second with a lot of chip (about 200bb) and the chip leader comes all in over you holding a pair of AA? 1st hand of the tournament? Three or more entered ALL IN pre flop and you have AA in hand .... and I do not know any other situation. In the bubble?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is one situation where you should 100% fold AA: near the bubble of a satellite. If you know you have enough chips to hold your ground until the bubble burst, there is no need to risk your stack, since all places paid get the same prize, a ticket to another tournament. If you just fold every hand for a while, you'll get your ticket, while if you play your AA you might end up getting a bad beat and missing the opportunity of playing the tournament to which the ticket was valid.

In any 1v1 situation, folding AA preflop is not profitable in the long run. Of course, if there are only two players with huge stacks and you're one of them and the other puts you all in preflop, you might decide to fold because of ICM and I won't blame you. A bad beat there could make you lose a guaranteed cash. But if you're risk neutral and want to win the tournament, that is a spot you would love to be.

Against multiple all ins, AA lose a lot of equity. You're probably still getting good enough odds to call, but survival is an important thing in a tournament and you will probably end up eliminated in a hand like that. If you win, you'll have a huge stack, but more often than not you'll be out. If you believe your poker skills are better than most players' there, you might be better off folding and growing your stack slowly but consistently.

Last edited:
D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only around the bubble of a tournament have I ever folded AA.

It felt weird doing it but is the best and only time I ever have.

Never have I folded AA in the first hand of any game. Sucks when 3 or more others are all in before you but you just have to leave it in the hands of the poker gods!

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a satellite tounaments where you have plenty of chips to make the bubble then folding AA would be a correct play as you don't need to risk your stack to advance.

If you satellite into a huge tournament for a small amount and are on the money bubble which would mean a huge payout for you. For example, you satty into the wsop Main Event for $100 and are on the bubble where a min. cash would be $10,000 you may fold the AA unless you are the short stack.

Another scenario is if you are in the first hand of a huge tournament and there are multiple all-ins in front of you. I hear people talking about folding then too.

RocwX got it right with risk/reward. Different situations call for different decisions.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, a pair of aces in hand is 85% of chances of victory against 2 opponents, 74% against 3 and 64% against 4.th against four opponents I am close to try the blow before the bubble.i know I takes a big risk but it's my choice. that's why I always prefer all-in prefelop AA to reduce the risks but if I decide to play hide and the draw is unfavorable I go to bed before having bet too much and taken risks.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only in dons or a satalite in situations where I am near certain through I have folded Aces before in a don when I was a monster.

even three or four way all ins I might like how swingy it is and the fact there is a good chance in me going out. I know that if I win this I am now a monster stack and almost certain to cash nicely whilst if i opt for a fold there is still a good chance I bust before the bubble or min cash etc.

In another hand I posted I actually worked out I was more likely to be behind then ahead and thus was likely putting all my chips in to bust there and then, but the odds suggested I was getting very good odds to call so I did.

I was actually a favorite against his entire range but 28 out of 52 times he had me crushed. You have to be willing to make these decisions when your plus ev in order to win tournaments often enough.

I hear far to often players saying well if you think you have an edge on the competition then dont risk your stack, but the truth is your giving up a significant proportion of your edge when you fold in situations where the math says you should go for it.

if your expected value is profitable get it in if your expected value is negative dont get it in. after that what will be will be.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1x1 think AA need to call.
Although I often lose with AA, but I believe that discharged into 1x1 unprofitable.
Only if your stack does not guarantee victory. Such qualifying tournament, is the bubble and you have enough chips to survive it. In this case, call stupid.

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay. The question is at least odd. But to make sure we're on the right track sometimes the obvious has to be discussed! Is there any situation that can be more profitable folding AA preflop? Ex. By ICM? Half of the tournament you are in second with a lot of chip (about 200bb) and the chip leader comes all in over you holding a pair of AA? 1st hand of the tournament? Three or more entered ALL IN pre flop and you have AA in hand .... and I do not know any other situation. In the bubble?

Yes! I fold when I see more than 3 players moving all in preflop and I'm close to the money

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes! I fold when I see more than 3 players moving all in preflop and I'm close to the money
This is a bad fold. You can't be afraid of playing for big pots with big hands on the bubble, especially if your goal is to win an MTT.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. On a satellite bubble, folding AA is fine if you have a seat locked up already. Since payouts are equal, there is no added value for winning pots with AA when you don't need to.

2. Specific final table ICM situation. Lets say you're 2nd in chips [95BBs], there are 4-5 super short stacks [2-5 BBs] at the table. Chip leader [125BBs] open shoves in SB to your BB when you have AA. This is an easy fold. You have 2nd place locked and with 5 other players likely to bust out soon, you don't want to chance losing here and taking 9th when you have a solid payout pretty much locked.

3. Folding on the bubble of an MTT with AA is just bad. It's super bad. Don't be afraid to play big pots with big hands in MTTs. Winning big pots is what is going to push your forward to profiting more (higher placing/more money) and potentially winning MTTs. You're better off giving up frequent min-cashes and playing for less frequent deep runs that payout much more.

4. Folding on an MTT bubble depends on the situation. I wouldn't stack off on FT bubble if I'm sitting in a top 3 spot. We have to look at how much money we aim to miss out on if we lose. Especially if we're looking at a lot of short stacks trying to get in; we want to make sure we're taking those money ladders and winning the MTT or at least finishing as high as possible. However, if effect stacks are fairly short [1-40BBs] and I'm in the middle of the pack [5th-7th], then I have no problem getting in on the FT bubble and giving myself a great chance to double up and finish higher.

5. 1st hand never folding.

6. Unless it's a FT ICM spot or satellite bubble spot, I'm not folding AA preflop.

Galina

Galina

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ÀÀ

It depends on what opponent and what his game was before. But if so, call!:D

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
b

Hello.For a heads up all in ,folding AA due to bubble is a fault.For a three way or 4 way is good fold ( only because you are second in the mtt and the bubble is so close).

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything is very simple. You must compare two values. How much will you get in prizes for sure if you drop all the time. and for example, you have 80% of the aces = that is, we will win 8 out of ten times. compare two expectations. just reset and wait or risk a departure. If risking with aces you do not get a prize 5 times more, and finish the tournament not 300, but 280 .... then there is no sense to risk. and if playing with aces instead of 300 you will take 5 = you can.... for example in the first street you have..... Straight-draw....you have 33% to win, in the bank of 5000, you need to put 1000 (20%) to see the second street !!! 33% >>> 20% ....

risk all less than five times the prize makes no sense...

Last edited:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In my opinion there is not a situation where I fold AA. You just pray it holds up.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far I have never let AA go preflop, just after the flop turn and river. I've felt I had to fold in those spots because of board texture.
I agree with only in an equal prize game at the bubble.
Otherwise I'm always willing to go out or not with AA.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It depends on what opponent and what his game was before. But if so, call!:D

What difference does this ^ make? Even if the opponent had never played a single hand the entire day... what difference does this make? (there aren't any hands better than AA, lol).
The opponent's history is completely irrelevant.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very difficult to learn but,I fold with AA easily before the bubble.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very difficult to learn but,I fold with AA easily before the bubble.
Why?

I guess you're content with just min-cashing instead of going for the bigger prizes.

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why?

I guess you're content with just min-cashing instead of going for the bigger prizes.
Right.....what other hand would you be waiting for. I think the poker God's would look down on this lol.

JohnnyBoy928

JohnnyBoy928

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow... That is really really really hard to fold AA preflop in most cases I would say... Especially cash or multi-table tourns...
but for a 10% to 20% qualifier... I definitely can fold AA. In qualifiers I just want to make the top 10 or 20%... the idea is to survive and not to crush it... imo I would say I make 9 out of 10 qualifiers I buy into playing this way personally... and thats with just 1 buy in too!

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will never throw the good cards out of my hand and I will go all in all time..

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
the only way that I would not pay with AA in very but very close to the bubble, unless I'm the one in the bubble and need to take the risk to get out of there, I would play the rest as best suited for me , depending on the situations and the readings I get from my opponents

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only situation I've come across is near the bubble in a satellite. If it pays at 30 there's 35 left and your 27th in chips I consider folding but if your in 31th I'd go all-in. Also it would depend on the separation between me and the players 25-35th in stack depth. If it's close I could fold to a jam even in 35th especially if I find there to be a lot of fish in the tournament. In any other situation you should be playing to win the tournament and this is as profitable shove preflop no matter what the table dynamics are

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play AA even on a bubble...))
I want to play at the final table and win...
if I drop AA - I lose my chance to increase my bank...
:boxing:

Folding in Poker