Flat calling ranges in the big blind

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does your flat calling range look in the big blind and why does it look like that? How does it change depending on villains position?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many variables, that it makes no sense to talk about “a range” for defending the big blind. Position of the player opening, his open size, stack sizes, ICM-pressure. If there are field callers, I tend to defend less, which I think is something, a lot of people get wrong. And finally if someone is opening very wide, I will defend more. Or if someone is opening very tight, I will defend less. A HUD is usefull for gathering that information, if the site allows it.

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are so many variables, that it makes no sense to talk about “a range” for defending the big blind. Position of the player opening, his open size, stack sizes, ICM-pressure. If there are field callers, I tend to defend less, which I think is something, a lot of people get wrong. And finally if someone is opening very wide, I will defend more. Or if someone is opening very tight, I will defend less. A HUD is usefull for gathering that information, if the site allows it.
But let's say that the button is a good reg and is raising first in with roughly 50% of the hands with a 2.5bb open, the stacks are deep without ante, how would your thought process look like when determining if you call or not?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then I probably call with anything remotely playable, which is not strong enough to 3-bet. Any suited ace, any pair, most offsuit aces, any broadway, some suited connectors etc. I dont call complete junk like Q4o or 93s. You can get the exact answer from a AI program like PokerSnowie. It can tell you the correct range for any situation against opponents, who are supposedly playing perfect. It is a cash game program, but the situation, you describe here, is basically a cash game hand. No antes, deep stacks and no ICM of any significance.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does depend on villain's position, but I'm fairly confident in my postflop abilities, so I defend quite wide regardless. It really depends on your personal preference though.

But let's say that the button is a good reg and is raising first in with roughly 50% of the hands with a 2.5bb open, the stacks are deep without ante, how would your thought process look like when determining if you call or not?

The way I see it, this is essentially a recurring on-again, off-again heads up match, so perpetually forfeiting your big blind is inevitably a losing proposition. If we're deep stacked as in your scenario, and button is a good reg, then they're raising light more often than not, so I usually defend even more vigorously and sprinkle in some three-bets as well.