Fish Friday

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive heard of a few poker pros who avoid playing on fridays, saturdays.. even sundays sometimes, despite the largest fields. i never used to get it because i always wanted that bigger, better prizepool but the more i play on weekends now the more i realize why.

fish friday. i swear, i see it now. at one point last night, three of of my five tables were full of fish, and i mean full of them. for the first hour, one table's lowest VPIP was 83 aside from me.

at first when you realize the weekends are filled with fish, you decide you want to play against the easier fields but they are so unpredictable, always put their money in and NEVER FOLD TO RAISES. ever. fish dont fold pre, and can call all the way to the river with q7o vs your AK for a one card flush. how do you beat that?

well, simply... you dont play. i think im still going to show up for a few sundays, but i swear i'm taking friday out of my schedule completely. i considered playing the mornings but its just evening for some other part of the world... right? so f**ck fish fridays, right?

what are your thoughts? do you like playing on fridays? do you like playing against fish? do you seek it out or avoid it all together? or have you never thought about it at all until now?

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given it is a Friday night, you can probably assume a large majority of them are on their third or fourth beer! Them fish are getting sloppier every minute onward too.

Guess you have to treat your lower stakes tournaments like regular free buys. But you are right, why throw good money into a bingo spree.

natasha555

natasha555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like playing on weekends, more inadequate players, which are difficult to read.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are not right . Playing with a fish always brings profit. Just need to be able to play with the fish. You have to be tough at the fish table. Make bigger raises.

ddg373

ddg373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weekends are freerolls and play chips for killing time. have a few drinks and cast a hook in the water

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The weekend is for my family.I spend these days with my cats and dog and my girlfriend(I finally found one lol(.We go to a green area and have fun a lot.I only play poker during the week,at the weekend I don't practice it.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing on the weekend. It doesn't matter if it's a late night, cause I don't have to get up early :)

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see how you view the weekends being looser than other times of the week and there is an easy reason why this is taking place: There are more people playing online for fun rather than for glory/rent.

I personally like playing on the weekends because people tend to make mistakes on the weekends after a good time with their friends and enjoying themselves on the days off that they have. Obviously, this doesn't represent the entire community but it can easily be distinguished between a poker night on Monday night compared to Friday night as far as action.

I wouldn't let this influence your plays online or at the table. Otherwise, you are working with variables that are out of control and especially vibrant before you even play the hand. Keep doing well and face the challenges in front of you. If you learn something, it's worth it.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Fish Friday. You can tell how poorly they play from just one hand. 2 or 3 hands and you got their mindset. I avoid playing during off hours or at like 11 p.m when only the best players remain.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a christian, I love my fish on fridaya.
I play selected tournaments only, to take advantage of the fish, e-g- KO tournaments and SnG's with small buy ins. They throw their pennies as if everyday is payday.
But I understand your thoughts, you have to adapt your playing style a lot.
Have a beer or two helps here:elefant:

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure the variance may be higher, but so are the prize pools. It may be harder to navigate the landmines, but with experience and practice, You put yourself in harder spots to hit them and they feel less terrible when you do.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the midst of the battle of the cash gamer, if I have a good senama, at the end of the season, I will play the big tournaments with part of the values collected in the cash gamer.
This is a planning that everyone can follow, it will be even better to maintain a bakroll structure.

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've profited loads from the fish on Friday nights. Sure you'll get some bad beats and the drunken fish are hard to read but they'll pay you off big time in the long run.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything said here is exactly what goes through my mind... until i play on the weekend and feel like a fish myself.

i think all of you who mentioned having a few beers myself to even the playing field are on to something, though.... gotta get on the same level as your opponents! lol

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again this is a critical missed point among novice players. We WANT to play against fish. And the more hands we can play with them the better. Every time they enter the pot with a worse hand than ours we automatically make money. Regardless of whether we win or lose the hand. This is an EV nuance that many players find difficult to grasp. Mainly because they are results orientated short term mental gamers. Say you go all in over thousands of hands against a fish who won't fold. And we will assume you do this with a strong range every time. Now lets say they are dealt a random hand each time. Regardless of what happens in each individual hand, you are expected to show a profit against this player because you will enter the majority of pots with a range that is ahead of theirs. The more fish you play against, the more mistakes your opponents will make. We make money from our opponent's mistakes. Avoiding these types of players to reduce your variance may seem more stable in the short term. But you are costing yourself long term earnings by giving up opportunities to play against weak competition. Seize this chance. Allow your bankroll to fluctuate a little more and you will see the long term benefit. R

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again this is a critical missed point among novice players. We WANT to play against fish. And the more hands we can play with them the better. Every time they enter the pot with a worse hand than ours we automatically make money. Regardless of whether we win or lose the hand. This is an EV nuance that many players find difficult to grasp. Mainly because they are results orientated short term mental gamers. Say you go all in over thousands of hands against a fish who won't fold. And we will assume you do this with a strong range every time. Now lets say they are dealt a random hand each time. Regardless of what happens in each individual hand, you are expected to show a profit against this player because you will enter the majority of pots with a range that is ahead of theirs. The more fish you play against, the more mistakes your opponents will make. We make money from our opponent's mistakes. Avoiding these types of players to reduce your variance may seem more stable in the short term. But you are costing yourself long term earnings by giving up opportunities to play against weak competition. Seize this chance. Allow your bankroll to fluctuate a little more and you will see the long term benefit. R

it all sounds so good on paper, but when you 3bet your KK and have 5 limpers follow in after you....everyone says raise against fish but fish dont i find fish dont fold. so you open up your range and end up playing as bad as the fish. or tighten up, and just jam your premium hands and pray to god a fish calls and doesnt donk you with his ace rag or worse.

i think this fish friday, we're gonna get drunk and swim with the fishies... ill let you know how it goes lol

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
haha you talk about betting your KK, getting called with a rag ace etc etc...that is EXACTLY what just happened to me...KK down the drain

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all sounds so good on paper, but when you 3bet your KK and have 5 limpers follow in after you....everyone says raise against fish but fish dont i find fish dont fold. so you open up your range and end up playing as bad as the fish. or tighten up, and just jam your premium hands and pray to god a fish calls and doesnt donk you with his ace rag or worse.

i think this fish friday, we're gonna get drunk and swim with the fishies... ill let you know how it goes lol

Yeah, I know what you're saying but if that happens then yes KK multiway is not a great situation if the board gets dangerous. But if you do get 4 callers preflop, then the flop pot is now full of dead money and you have the second strongest starting hand in the game. Sure, your equity will go down due to the extra people but the pot is much bigger, so there are more chips available to win. So you're not losing much in the long run sitting there with KK. If you're at a table where there is chain limping and calling, then you need to open with bigger raises. Instead of the standard 3-3.5bb consider 5-6bb. Whatever is the minimum amount that will scare them is what you should use. You can measure this by trying different sizes an watching how the table reacts. If you're 3Betting them you may need to use 5-6x if they won't fold to a standard 3Bet of 3x. You will also need to increase the 3Bet size more if there are a chain of limpers. I've had to sometimes go up to 8x sized 3Bets at fishy tables just to get them to fold, but there's often 1 or maybe 2 who will get sticky and stay in. So you'll be playing bigger pots on the flop than usual but that's fine with a hand like KK as this hand wants to play a big pot anyway. I would probably just go ahead and move in with KK+ anyway behind a chain of limpers at a table like this, and go for the squeeze shove. They will either all fold, or you might get 1 caller who wants to gamble with QTo etc. Which is a great result. Embrace the horror!

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha you talk about betting your KK, getting called with a rag ace etc etc...that is EXACTLY what just happened to me...KK down the drain

KK is the new 22 imo :(

its too early on friday to start drinking... but this.. is.. fish.. friday.. in the BIG FISH on 888, no less...

double runner runner. come on

edit - my bad, only one was a runner runner.. the worse one, too.. a straight..

888 Poker - 60/120 Ante 12 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 29.09 BB
BB: 82.23 BB (VPIP: 21.74, PFR: 8.70, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
UTG: 107.64 BB (VPIP: 35.56, PFR: 26.67, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 45)
UTG+1: 13.29 BB (VPIP: 15.22, PFR: 6.52, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 46)
MP: 41.67 BB (VPIP: 30.43, PFR: 6.52, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
MP+1: 28.46 BB (VPIP: 45.65, PFR: 8.70, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 46)
MP+2: 46.96 BB (VPIP: 26.67, PFR: 4.44, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
CO: 115.34 BB (VPIP: 62.50, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
BTN: 38.62 BB (VPIP: 34.78, PFR: 6.52, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has T T

fold, UTG+1 raises to 13.19 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 13.19 BB, Hero raises to 28.99 BB and is all-in, fold, BTN calls 15.8 BB

Flop: (73.07 BB, 3 players) J 8 3

Turn: (73.07 BB, 3 players) 5

River: (73.07 BB, 3 players) 4

Hero shows T T (One Pair, Tens)

Main Pot [41.47 BB]: (Pre 45%, Flop 44%, Turn 45%)
Side Pot#1 [31.6 BB]: (Pre 66%, Flop 81%, Turn 64%)

UTG+1 shows 7 K (Flush, King High)

Main Pot [41.47 BB]: (Pre 25%, Flop 43%, Turn 24%)

BTN shows A 2 (Straight, Five High)

Main Pot [41.47 BB]: (Pre 30%, Flop 13%, Turn 31%)
Side Pot#1 [31.6 BB]: (Pre 34%, Flop 19%, Turn 36%)

UTG+1 wins 41.47 BB
BTN wins 31.6 BB