The final table, how to cope with the excitement?

L

Lol1x1

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in the final (top 9 players) of a big tournament, how can you handle the excitement? Are you worried when playing for prize money? And how do you deal with it? Maybe music or something else?:deal:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are in the final (top 9 players) of a big tournament, how can you handle the excitement? Are you worried when playing for prize money? And how do you deal with it? Maybe music or something else?:deal:

For me life is about enjoying the moment. I finished 15th in a WPT side event a few years back. Did not cash though. At the bubble. I was not nervous at all and if I had made the final table would not have been at all. The reason why is I just want to enjoy the moment. Whats what keeps me o mellow, we never know when of if we will ever get a chance to be there and just enjoying the moment is really what its about. I remember closing in on my goal of cashing at the wsop in 2019. As the number got close i was a bit excited but it never really got to me. I remember the stone cold bubble and just laughing and talking and just having a blast. In another deep stack series I played I somehow made it to heads up for the biggest price I would have won it i finished in 1st. As they put the Championship and plaque and did a final chip up i just looked around and at my 1+ million chips stack, took in the people who were gathered around the table and just took it all in and was relived and happy but not worried at all. The photographer took a picture of up and are stack as we were about to play. I was content and happy and showed no nervelessness. I remember it all including the door card giving him a set and the title. I may never get back to that spot but I will forever have the memory and the enjoyment of that time,

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've been playing poker for over 11 years, and during that time I've learned not to worry. I have nothing to worry about, I just try to be focused and think carefully about my every decision. :)

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah music usually helps me. Anything that helps you relax but lock in your focus is good in my opinion.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you've been in control of your emotions the entire tournament and now your "excited" because you made the final table?

I'm usually tired after 10 hours of play and I'm studying my opponents' stack sizes and tendencies to find good spots to exploit.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody.
When I get to the final table, I have to deal not with anxiety, but with fatigue, which is more important to me.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before at the final table, I was always worried and made mistakes. But then I was told that playing the final table shouldn't be difficult if you have experience with the game.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no universal strategies in poker, and the same goes for playing at the final table in MTT tournaments. As always, it all comes down to risk and reward. If you look at the payout structure of the final table of almost any tournament, you will notice that most of the money goes to the first three places. Take a closer look and you will see that the money jump between the third and first place is much larger than between the third and ninth. This means that once you reach the final table, your goal should be to get to 3-max and play for real money. The risk of finishing in ninth or fourth places will be offset by those times when you are lucky to finish in third or first place.but to fight the excitement is a difficult question) personally, I would not advise to gamble too much at all

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
experience, just play and play and then you will feel comfortable and doing your normal game in a final table. i never do rituals while i play poker.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no universal strategies in poker, and the same goes for playing at the final table in MTT tournaments. As always, it all comes down to risk and reward. If you look at the payout structure of the final table of almost any tournament, you will notice that most of the money goes to the first three places. Take a closer look and you will see that the money jump between the third and first place is much larger than between the third and ninth. This means that once you reach the final table, your goal should be to get to 3-max and play for real money. The risk of finishing in ninth or fourth places will be offset by those times when you are lucky to finish in third or first place.but to fight the excitement is a difficult question) personally, I would not advise to gamble too much at all

Excellent response and analysis... and I might just add, this has become a bit of a science (like much of poker, which is a mathematical game of course, in addition to being a psychological game)... and the science of what nuttea is discussing here has been given its own term, called ICM... which stands for "Independent Chip Model", a term which really doesn't describe things very well... but if anyone is interested in learning more on this aspect of final table play, just look up ICM and you will be able to read about it and why it is so important to understand if you wish to be the best final table player you can be. Like all math problems, it's a bit of a dry subject (meaning, lacking in humor), but nuttea stated it in a very good way to be able to understand what it means. I would say, in my opinion, they described the idea of ICM almost pefectly, without getting into all that "boring" math stuff. :)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play your game. It's interesting to see how tight players loosen up and loose players tighten up when the money gets interesting. Changing your playing style late just creates stress and causes you to not play your best.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Once i'm on the FT, it's not excitement per se, it's relief that I feel the most. All the time spent has paid off and I can relax and have fun from there on out.

Nobody new to pay attention to, likely already know half the players if not all of them and how they play. No wondering what place i'm in as I can see stacks clearly (I play live as well, online of course always know where you are). Lot of extra mental overhead (at least for me) just falls away and it's kind of like a friendly(maybe)/competitive cash table with the goal of felting the rest without making any serious mistakes.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Final tables over the past 2 weeks for me on both party poker/888 have run like this as i have secured back to back $55 and $109 satellite tickets and have used this strategy.
1. Use position always as your best friend.
2. Identify players who are passive and again use position to raise and bully those where cards allow.
3. Make notes throughout the tourney - the good players invariably end up with you on final tables or close to cashing and i have benefited from making notes, in one case it helped me chip up to secure a $109 ticket with a player who loved to three barrel bet AK all the way and i picked him off with 99.
4. The cash ladders are you friend - make a note of them, there have been a few occasions over the past month where i have mucked hands to progress up, sometimes its a wise move and Bankrolls you for further tournaments.
5. Use your breaks wisely, stretch, maybe get some fresh air for a couple of minutes/and get a drink or a snack.
6. Be aggressive far more than passive - back yourself and final table players are known for chasing paint or ace rags/suited aces.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I don't deal with the excitment very well. I tend to make rash decisions at the final table (not that I get there often). I think that I should be more patient and wait for my chance.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play, the more final tables you get to, the more comfortable you will be at them. To me they are the best. I get a feeling of relief when I get there, and a fresh burst of energy to hopefully finish 1st.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you be excited?
Theres still 8 people left...
its all about perspective

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Reaching FT dont trigger any excitement though ...

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
after a while you'll stop worrying because for the first time everyone is worried, and when you do it every time you get used to it and the excitement goes away so after a while you'll forget about it the excitement