Facing tons of limps with okay hands

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Total posts
Hey guys, what do you do when you face like 4 limps before you (SB,BB or Button) and you have hands like AJs AQ ATs TT 99 JJ ...

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Total posts
Hi Gusborgs. Well that gives you a chance to take their bets. You make like a 3 or 4 bet raise. I think I might be missing something you are trying to say. I mean it's a standard raise when everyone limps to you and you are holding a good hand. You also want to move one or two out of the hand, which makes your odds to win the hand get better. GL today

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Total posts
One of them could certainly be in trapy trapy mode so be carefull.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Hey guys, what do you do when you face like 4 limps before you (SB,BB or Button) and you have hands like AJs AQ ATs TT 99 JJ ...
BET POT TO ISOLATE OR SHOVE FOR FOLD equity. THATS MY FIRST ab LOTS OF DIFFERNT c'S THOUGH.
LIKE 99 MIGHT JUST WANT TO LIMP AS WELL TO A 865 FLOP
a10 SUITED IF YOU WANT TO GET VALUE LIMP
ITS REALLY DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION AND THE PLAYERS AND WHAT YOU DECIDE UPON:cool:
GL OUT THERE

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Ola has to read the action in the course of the plays so that there is no error in the payment of the bet.

P

popstani

Visionary
Total posts
Sometimes I limp too, but depends on the situation and other players, how do they play, are they limping a lot etc. Most of the time I raise pot, or go all in, to take money in the pot, and if someone calls, I still have pretty good hand to play.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Raise 'em! At least a 3 bet.

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Depending on your stack depth you should either raise pot of jam, because with these types of hands, you do not want to play against more that one opponent in order to realize your equity.

If I have less than 30bb, I usually jam in these spots. I might even jam with a bigger stack if I know that the first limper does not slow play AA preflop, because he is the only one who could have a monster hand in this situation. You still might run into AK from time to time, as some bad players like you limp with AK, AQ,AJ, but even then you have some fold equity.

As for raising with pot-size bet, it works pretty well when everyone is deep (50bb+). But make sure you do not make mistakes post flop. I often see how people overcommit postflop after raising big preflop.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think the best thing to do is go all in and hope for the best!

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Total posts
Depending on your stack depth you should either raise pot of jam, because with these types of hands, you do not want to play against more that one opponent in order to realize your equity.

If I have less than 30bb, I usually jam in these spots. I might even jam with a bigger stack if I know that the first limper does not slow play AA preflop, because he is the only one who could have a monster hand in this situation. You still might run into AK from time to time, as some bad players like you limp with AK, AQ,AJ, but even then you have some fold equity.

As for raising with pot-size bet, it works pretty well when everyone is deep (50bb+). But make sure you do not make mistakes post flop. I often see how people overcommit postflop after raising big preflop.

In my case it was very strange
I had 25BBs at the button with TT, UTG, UTG+2 and 2 MPs limps. I raised 5.5x from the button and the second limper (UTG+2) spend like 40 seconds thinking and shoved. UTG (the first limper, that, for me, could be trapping) snap folded my 5.5x. The other limpers folded the shove and i thought: If he had a strong hand he would raise the first limp (he had like 40-50bbs), them, for me, he had something like 22s to 77s trying to hit a set by limping. When i called he had JJ (so i thought wtf are you doing limping JJ from UTG+2)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Total posts
Awards
I think, in this situation, the right decision should be on the preflop, when the size of your bet determines the situation at the table. Of course, you need to carefully study the opponent, because sometimes even a very big bet does not allow you to get rid of bad players... You should never bluff against a limp, because it can drag you into a bad game... Also, do not overestimate the strength of your hand. Hands (AQ, AJ,AT) are not stronger than suited connectors or other bad hands against a limp, so carefully study the player against whom you open your hand and pay a little less attention to your hand when a crazy player is against you...

Good pairs have a slightly better situation, but you need to carefully look at the table and make the right bets on the line to knock out the limper, but do not rush to quickly disperse the pot, because no one cancels the wonderful river =))

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Total posts
4 bet

Hi Gusborgs,

I think it is always good to 4 bet the especially when you're in the Button position even in cut-off position I would say

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
I had 25BBs at the button with TT, UTG, UTG+2 and 2 MPs limps. I raised 5.5x from the button and the second limper (UTG+2) spend like 40 seconds thinking and shoved. UTG (the first limper, that, for me, could be trapping) snap folded my 5.5x. The other limpers folded the shove and i thought: If he had a strong hand he would raise the first limp (he had like 40-50bbs), them, for me, he had something like 22s to 77s trying to hit a set by limping. When i called he had JJ (so i thought wtf are you doing limping JJ from UTG+2)

My point exactly, he shouldn't have too many traps in this spot, especially with JJ. So you should make a note for this player, and move on.

As for your 5.5bb raise, I do not really like it. You want to have your TT in the shoving range here to support your suited broadways. If you only shove AK and AQ, and raise with made hands you will be exploited quite easily, even at micro stakes.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Total posts
After isolating the open limper, we have few difficult decisions postflop, which will allow us to take pots more often. When isolating the open limper, it is extremely important to use the correct bet sizing. Our isolate bet sizing must force the open limper to make tough decisions. We have to play an aggressive isolate until the limper starts to resist, sometimes after your isolate the limper will hit his outs and win the pot, but in no case should this upset you, since in fact you will pay them with their own money.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Total posts
In the blinds I would only call or check because you are playing postflop out of position. You have to flop a drilling or top pair so that your hand is still playable post-flop. But on the button I would always raise and damn high to get players to fold. With 4 limpers you have to raise seven times the big blind to get players to fold. In tournaments, maybe six times the stake is good because your stack is probably not as big as in cash games. With Ax hands you can try to steal the pot after the flop by c-betting. The prerequisite for a c-bet is that the flop is not too draw-heavy and that you have no more than two opponents. But since you made players fold with a big raise preflop, you often don't have more than 2 opponents. Example of a bad flop for a c-bet: JT8s. Many opponents can do something with the flop. You will not be able to convince all opponents to fold with one bet. If you haven't hit anything, you check and fold if your opponent bet. Example of a good flop for a c-bet: Q48r. You can represent a top pair of queens and your opponents often haven't hit anything. With 99 and TT you can just limp and see if you hit the drilling. With 4 opponents you almost always need drilling with 99 and TT to win the showdown.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Yes at pokerstars it is unbelievable total hands that the guy loses with the best hands, I face it.:p

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards
It is your best intention to force a couple of players out of the hand. Hopefully you have been reading the table and have a read on the ones who are loose. 3bb raise on strength of hand. Ask question with raises after that but be wary.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
It happens to me quite often with AA or KK. It's frustrating but it's better than losing the hand. You can always go all in when the board is right later.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards

I agree, that this weird backraise is going to be a hand like 55-99 or AJ far more often than JJ+. Moreover if he had raised it up with JJ as he should, you would have jammed it in with TT for your 25BB, and he would have called, so the result would have been just the same. And for that reason this is certainly not a hand, I would worry about at all. Sometimes people just play weird, and no need to let that confuse you :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
I prefer to raise with these cards, but if aggressive players come after me, I have to limp and re-raise to raise.
Good luck.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands