Extended registration

K

Kdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it bother anyone that some games you can continue to register for a few hours? It makes the game take so long I lose interest. Shouldn't it be limited to an hour? Ate there any benefits?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does it bother anyone that some games you can continue to register for a few hours? It makes the game take so long I lose interest. Shouldn't it be limited to an hour? Ate there any benefits?

Have you ever tried late regging?

Maybe instead of making the game longer, it could actually make the game shorter. :cool:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually use the late registration to enter a tournament, but I also don’t like very long LR tournaments, 1 hour for me is the ideal, 2 hours maximum.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just enter when I can still get a reasonable stack as late as possible in those. The other day I got in the final minute of late reg with 20 BB was middle of the pack. Sure registering early allows you to build a good stack and hold onto it or even grow it. It really depends on the tournament you're entering. PKO, freezeout.. etc. Just find an entry point where you can play comfortably without over extending.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

Well, just a few years back, the late registration was indeed limited to 1 hour. But as new sites entered the market, they wanted to compete with the big ones (party poker, pokerstars, Fulltilt, ..), so in order to attract players, they started offering big guaranteed prize pools for relatively small buy-ins. I've seen some of them losing money in many guaranteed tourneys (ACR, formerly Doyle's room, for instance). That's when they came up with these stupid 3 or 4 hours of late registration. What I don't really understand, is that the big sites, even with their huge traffic, got drawn to those same malicious procedures ! Now if you want to play in a decent tournament, you have to put in huge amounts of time. I think it's so ridiculous that, on Pokerstars, you can't find a nice freezeout to play anymore....

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some late registration is a good thing since it allows people who are a bit late to still get in and also increase the size of prizepools. But some sites/tournies take it way too far for sure.

If an online tourney still allows late reg more than 3 hours into the game, then I think that's too much late reg. An hour or so sounds good to me!

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
moved to tournament poker :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before the late registration bothered me but now I have gotten used to the tournaments are longer but it is the same game, I always registered before the tournament starts and that makes it longer for me but as I said before I am used to it and not alter the game

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long late registration makes more people register to the tournament, which create larger price pools and more rake income for poker sites. This is why, long late registration periods have become so common. 888 Poker tried to buck the trend with a tournament series called "the classic", that only had 70 min late registration with 10 min blind intervals. And it was a huge failure. Only few people played these, so they often ran with overlays, and one by one they were taken down again.