Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
9th What to open in the Cutt-Off at the beginning of the tournament

Today we will address the Cutt-Off position

We arrived at the second most privileged position at the table, the Cutt-Off has only one position ahead of him in addition to the blinds, so the chances of winning the pot are very good. But always remember that at the beginning of the tournament it is not healthy to apply a lot of bluffs, but you always need to evaluate the period of the tournament correlated with your stack, so if there is a fold action, this is a good time to try to win some chips.

See photo in the comment.

Liked?

Follow our next tips and let us know what you think by commenting below!

Attachments

• Cut-off.jpg
    Cut-off.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 14
ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see where you're coming from...and I think we could fill in some blanks here.
Why does sitting to the right of the dealer give you good chances at winning the pot? I don't think that is clear. Nor is it necessarily true.

Why is late position beneficial?
The benefit in position pertains to the amount of information you have before you are forced to make a decision. Access to that information might make your play more equitable, but it won't necessarily give you a better chance at winning.

When the Cut-off's action is bet, raise or 3-bet, it puts pressure on the dealer and often forces them to fold. And in that case, the Cut-off becomes the "effective button" post-flop meaning they are last to act, with the most information.

Cut off can open more widely (ie with a larger range) than players in earlier positions, and can vary their bet size a bit more.

Being so near the tail end, it also makes it much easier to fold a hand without making a commitment.

It is interesting that you attached a range chart, however you should describe what it is, what it means and how it might vary for different positions or player types.

Range might be quite an advanced discussion for a "before you ever try hold 'em" kind of chat... (I missed your other 8 tips!)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a pretty good tight-aggressive cutoff opening range assuming there's no ante. If there is an ante, then I think we need to widen the range a bit, including hands such as 76s and 22.

Nice info, thanks for posting this range.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I see where you're coming from...and I think we could fill in some blanks here.
Why does sitting to the right of the dealer give you good chances at winning the pot? I don't think that is clear. Nor is it necessarily true.

Why is late position beneficial?
The benefit in position pertains to the amount of information you have before you are forced to make a decision. Access to that information might make your play more equitable, but it won't necessarily give you a better chance at winning.

When the Cut-off's action is bet, raise or 3-bet, it puts pressure on the dealer and often forces them to fold. And in that case, the Cut-off becomes the "effective button" post-flop meaning they are last to act, with the most information.

Cut off can open more widely (ie with a larger range) than players in earlier positions, and can vary their bet size a bit more.

Being so near the tail end, it also makes it much easier to fold a hand without making a commitment.

It is interesting that you attached a range chart, however you should describe what it is, what it means and how it might vary for different positions or player types.

Range might be quite an advanced discussion for a "before you ever try hold 'em" kind of chat... (I missed your other 8 tips!)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

You answered your question yourself, because you are in this position, you have much more information that will be added to the personalities of the people you are playing against. With this combination, you will have a much better chance of winning the pot compared to SB or UTG for example.
You were clear when you said that you didn't see the previous tips, losing the content to the previous ones, and the information that all ranges are changeable according to the opponent's profile, number of people in the hand and moment of the tournament, so always I make it clear that the exposed range is not a rule (if there were winning tables all the players in the world would be profitable) but only an adaptable base.
If you look for the other tips you will identify this information in the text.

But I appreciate your engagement!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think this is a pretty good tight-aggressive cutoff opening range assuming there's no ante. If there is an ante, then I think we need to widen the range a bit, including hands such as 76s and 22.

Nice info, thanks for posting this range.

For sure, it is just a base, there will always be adjustments to the reality of your game!