Effective stack size....

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I saw a video about Effective Stack Size...

I understand the basic of it.. Small stack / BB = ESS...

Ok the only important information not mentioned in the video is : what are you doing of this information once you know it?? What ESS has to do with the way I'm playing ??

Thanks,

-TRP-

Last edited by a moderator:
D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to know the size of the effctive stack becuase sometimes it's more profitable making them go all-in than making a normal raise giving them the chance to see a flop for more info.

Also lets say chip leader goes all-in against a bunch of short stacks, you have 6bb, guy ahead of you has 10bb and he folds. It is important to note that chip leader was risking to lose 10bb and not just your six. Calling decisions should be taking accordingly

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you have to consider playing against shorter stacks than yourself is that set mining and playing low suited connectors/gappers may not be worthwile. Set mining with 44 for example against a 10 BB min raise is not a good strategy as the times you hit will not make up for the times you miss.

Another scenario is that you i some cases call them lighter. If you raise your button with A 3 for example and the bb shoves, the size of his stack is crutial information. If both of you is big stacks this is a snap fold, but if he has 5BB its a snap call.

My 2 cents

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It means, which is the least profit you can earn in a hand, which is determined from the lowest stack.

Last edited:
TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok nice!! Thanks for your replies! It helps more then the video I saw from a poker training school!! I now know why I have to include this in my game play!!!

See ya'll at a table, somewhere!!

-TRP-

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack sizes are very important. Here's example. If effective stacks are 25 BB you have pocket kings KK you are happy if someone shoves all in. If stack sizes are 100bb. Okay but if it is 500 BB. If you have 1000$ in 1/2 game open 6$ and villain shoves all in 1000$ are you caliing with KK. The deeper the stacks the more important pocket pairs and suited connectors became. Good luck

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack sizes are very important. Here's example. If effective stacks are 25 BB you have pocket kings KK you are happy if someone shoves all in. If stack sizes are 100bb. Okay but if it is 500 BB. If you have 1000$ in 1/2 game open 6$ and villain shoves all in 1000$ are you caliing with KK. The deeper the stacks the more important pocket pairs and suited connectors became. Good luck
Thank you dear friend for the kind and good advice. I am very pleased with your advice, he helped me a lot. Glad you told me.:rock:

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on what games you play you'll come across similar and often completely different situations where Effective Big Blinds comes into play.

For example in a Cash game where one player has 100BB and the other has 50, you can take different betting patterns as you only need to get his 50BB in the pot.

In tournament play it most commonly occurs with all in situations usually preflop. there's a shorter stack and blinds and anties are significant you may be shoving 6 BB to win 3 more from the pot giving you a more open range to do it with. Also knowing the effecting stack size is very important in coin flips as you can see how much pressure on rise puts on the other person. If you have a stack 10 times bigger than a villain shoving into you you can often call him with a wider range.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
simply put - what amount of chips/BBs you are playing for. If you have 20 and your op has 10 - you are playing for 10 and not 20. So let say an easy AI like A2s is something you will do woith 10bb will be a bad move with 20.
obsly you should adjust for tounrey style - is it a KO. How much is you stack beacuse if its 400 and op has tan you can get much looser, but in general you will not be in these kind of situations so you have to know how to play 35bb stack vs 10bb. Mainly it changes the pushing ranges and post flop (if there is any).
GLGL =)