early stage of the tournament.

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to play very neat and a little tight to increase the stack. How do you play early?

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since the blinds are small at the early stages of a tournament, I just play as if it is a normal cash game.

And in a cash game you want to play more hands in position, and only super strong hands out of position. The reason is that when the blinds are small, and everyone have a deep stack, you will often find yourself in a multipot situations.

So, naturally, in multipots position and hand strenght is key. You want to have both. Also, I try to not overplay one paired hands in the early stages of a tournament. And I think (not 100% sure) this is because of a high SPR when you have deep stacks.

In high SPR spots, you do not want to invest big portions of your stack in the pot with one pair holdings. I could be wrong on that one though, so would be nice if someone else could confirm that.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play anything with a high card for the first couple of levels. Most of the time I pick up a few hands I would have missed. I limp in and see the flop. If it doesn't fit your hand, fold.
If I find that I am on a loose or aggressive table, I just play tight from early on. You should have an idea of the table by the first round.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I also take into account the stakes. If it's a freeroll are smaller stakes tournament where there are more likely who see the buy-in as nothing and can gamble on any hand, I am especially selective early on, but still find opportunities to play with premium hands in position when possible.

phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I always try to play very neat and a little tight to increase the stack. How do you play early?
If I were you I would get involved in hands with premium pairs AA KK or QQ.If possible only one vilian each time you play against.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, a tight game at the early stage of any tournament is not the best tactic of the game. Of course, when you get a new table (new opponents), you can't see and know the full statistics of the players, but the early stage is, when the blinds allow you to play much wider and more aggressively, so this is a great opportunity to increase your pot - using these opportunities. It is necessary to conduct a more open game and a wide game in order to collect more information and play average hands. But, when you play a lot of hands, not every hand will be for you, so do not worry about the possibility of folding and calmly wait for the next not bad hand to play. About the risk at the table, this is absolutely true, you should not go to everything, when you have a very strong hand, because the initial stage is very dangerous and unpredictable and the strength of the top pairs is very reduced..

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tightly passive when I don't know the play style around me.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I try to play patiently if the tournament allows me if you have a good hand and the flop gives you a chance to increase my stack, I'm sure I won't waste it. But on many occasions I see players who go all in without having anything trying to steal the first blinds and that is a detriment to the rest of the players since they give substantially an advantage to the one who takes the pot. As soon as the tournament begins and you realize that there are players who triple your chips

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Tight, always tight, premium hand and always in position, especially in ko MTTs.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mainly attack to collect more chips faster. But a lot depends on the opponents on the table, if they are careful, then I hide a good hand until someone's nerves fail. Then ollin and I try to collect more chips faster. If it doesn't work out, I'm quickly eliminated from the tournament. I don't like to sit in a tournament for a long time with a small number of chips.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

do not play a large
number of small banks with marginal hands, but try
to play good cards in a position and make the right decisions in
large banks.

A

Axe1Gold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play tight, play with smaller hands for eg in position or smaller connected cards. In sb or bb if somebody raise 2bb or 2,5 bb I call it with everything almost. If you got 100bb stack You can call it easily but only carefully

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As you can see, you will get many different answers. What I have learned from some pro players is that you must construct your opening ranges by position. Early position you want to remain pretty tight, as you move toward the button you open up your range hopefully based on skill level, yours and villains. If you are playing low stakes and you honestly believe that you have an edge postflop then pick your opening hands accordingly. The button should be the position that you open the widest, small blind is a spot you need to think about. For a time, people only 3bet or folded, but there is more limping now, unless you feel like you have a big edge, I would not limp too often. Big Blind, many people defend their Blind more often, it is fine as long as you feel comfortable playing postflop out of position.
There is my free advice on early tournament play. Good Luck:D

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Early tournament I play super LAG until someone catches me. I like to build a stack early to have a real chance, but if I take a ding and lose 1/2 early it's not a big deal either and revert back to a tight style.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same tactics in the small blinds at the start of the tournament. I try to see more for a low flop price.