Early level strategy to ITM

Which is more successful in your experience?

• Total voters
YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which poker strategy during the early levels of a normal tournament gives you more success to ITM? Playing mostly passive to last longer in the tourney with moderate stack in the mid levels or playing mostly aggressive to accumulate high stack but higher risk to bust out or go low stack before the mid levels of the tournament?

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I recommend tight aggressive on early stages, try to take advantage of those loose players, with that image of you on the table probably will win most of the pots that you play with Cbets or connecting on the flop and of course know when to give up that AK that miss entirely the flop and the opponents it's someone that will call with anything, the goal is at least to double your stack during the first 10 levels, try to get it cheap (Limping or Calling a minraise on BB) with hands of potential monsters like Pocket pairs that hit a set and suited connectors, abandon the hand if you miss the flop.

Last but not least avoid going all in PREFLOP with hands like AQo, AQs, AKo, AKs on early stages I would recommend only pay all in preflop with AA or KK depending on how crazy is the opponent add QQ but for sure its not worth the risk of losing your tourney life with AK preflop (remember its a flip coin 50/50 against any PP) only to double and later on the tourney those chips become nothing.

Maybe not so organized thoughts but I hope they help you to reach more ITM. Last recommendation Study ICM and push or fold strategy how to play on the bubble

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have my own version. I play it safe.
If the situation requires me to play aggressively, I play aggressively. It all depends on the situation. But I never play aggressively to follow some strategy or tactic. My game depends on each specific situation.

DegenerateSheep

DegenerateSheep

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
I like being out of line a little bit, and I am on the looser side. But I primarly focus on agressive moves for small pots, and only go big when I have it. I try to avoid triple barrel bluffs because they are too expensive when they fail.

If I happen to get a bigstack I like playing from the mindset of not giving people an easy opportunity to take a lot of my chips, especially when they have stacks that can hurt me. This keeps me out of trouble and lets me to ITM often while still accumulating chips along the way.

GL sir

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I play like both options sometimes aggressively sometimes I think you should have them at the same time as a poker player because sometimes you have to be quiet sometimes aggressive but at the beginning of the tournament everyone plays quietly on the map

kamel

kamel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I gry to Play agressive at the begining of the tournament either to accumulate chips and Play passive on bigger blinds or to bust ot of the tournament , mostly we have opportunity to
re-enter the tournament .

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think aggressiveness rewards more than getting close to the ITM with a few chips.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Which poker strategy during the early levels of a normal tournament gives you more success to ITM? Playing mostly passive to last longer in the tourney with moderate stack in the mid levels or playing mostly aggressive to accumulate high stack but higher risk to bust out or go low stack before the mid levels of the tournament?
I prefer playing passive and wait for my spots. Sometimes is good to play aggressive, but it all comes to a knowing opponent ranges and making good decisions.

R

rewrewrewreewrew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
I recommend tight aggressive on early stages, try to take advantage of those loose players, with that image of you on the table probably will win most of the pots that you play with Cbets or connecting on the flop and of course know when to give up that AK that miss entirely the flop and the opponents it's someone that will call with anything, the goal is at least to double your stack during the first 10 levels, try to get it cheap (Limping or Calling a minraise on BB) with hands of potential monsters like Pocket pairs that hit a set and suited connectors, abandon the hand if you miss the flop.

Last but not least avoid going all in PREFLOP with hands like AQo, AQs, AKo, AKs on early stages I would recommend only pay all in preflop with AA or KK depending on how crazy is the opponent add QQ but for sure its not worth the risk of losing your tourney life with AK preflop (remember its a flip coin 50/50 against any PP) only to double and later on the tourney those chips become nothing.

Maybe not so organized thoughts but I hope they help you to reach more ITM. Last recommendation Study ICM and push or fold strategy how to play on the bubble
I can relate to what Miguel says. Even with the best preflop hands you're bound to lose if you keep flipping. On the other hand, if you play too passive, the antes eat all your chips eventually. Therefore the most success I've had is playing a tight range aggressively post flop if connected well.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I adjust my game to each situation, and I play as good as I can. For example at the bubble time you must be focused, but the same needs all the game.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi YLAN

I play pretty passively to start with, only playing AA, KK, QQ, AK, and some A-10+ if over 50% of the table has folded, and raising big. If it's your day they'll hold and you'll build your stack if not there's always next time. I also try to limp AXs, but the early aggression usually means that limping is almost impossible.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found that since I am normally a very tight player that at the early stages of a tourney it is more advantages for me to be somewhat aggressive early and revert to my tight stage when the blinds are very high or the ITM is in sight

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do prefer the agressave play from the begining but to be honest it will change day to day based on the players at the table I am facing. Like with many aspects of this great game it always depends on the table, players ect ect.