Dry boards

S

Sweetman628

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey everyone I wanted your opinions,
When you see a dry board like Ks7c2h, and you hit top pair, what's your favorite move? Continuation bet, or try to check raise?
And out of position do you bet straight at it or give them some rope?
Anyway have a good day at the tables Luke!

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
continuation bet is always better because it does not give any tell to your opponent, and if he calls you can check raise him if you are confident having the best hand .

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The frequency of your c-bet varies according to your position.

IP: c-betting by value is more frequent with TP, but you need to put some TP hands as "check" to avoid having your check-behind range exploited by probe bets on the turn.

OOP: The c-bet frequency is lower, and you should be more inclined to check-call with your TP to avoid being exploited in situations where you miss the flop and checks.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opponents like to put the flop against players with a small number of chips. If you don't have enough chips ,then check - raise.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hey everyone I wanted your opinions,
When you see a dry board like Ks7c2h, and you hit top pair, what's your favorite move? Continuation bet, or try to check raise?
And out of position do you bet straight at it or give them some rope?
Anyway have a good day at the tables Luke!

Good question!

I think it depends a lot on the preflop action. Generally if you’re the PF aggressor, cbet the flop. If you call preflop and then c/r flop, many players won’t give you credit for having a hand since most players will slow play premium hands in this spot, or pot control with hands like Top Pair Good Kicker.

Darsno

Darsno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending

It really depends in what position I am. No need to really donk bet too often, But I will mix it in now and then. Like the one guy said a continuation bet There’s nothing to expose what you have and if you have flopped top pair, all the better. :)

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The frequency of your c-bet varies according to your position.

IP: c-betting by value is more frequent with TP, but you need to put some TP hands as "check" to avoid having your check-behind range exploited by probe bets on the turn.

OOP: The c-bet frequency is lower, and you should be more inclined to check-call with your TP to avoid being exploited in situations where you miss the flop and checks.

Source: UpswingPokerLab

-

I forgot to comment on the player profile... it's good to use this strategy if the IP villain is a good player. If he's a fish calling station, the ideal is always c-betting with TPGK...

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
continuation bet is always better because it does not give any tell to your opponent, and if he calls you can check raise him if you are confident having the best hand .

This is your most profitable one. If your table seems like a very big action table though, you may want to check your monster to induce a big bet.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With dry boards and top pair I usually use continuation bet. Slow play ends up bad results.

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I lean towards C-betting almost always in this spot. I like to go 1/3 of the pot or maybe 1/4 pot if my hand is very strong.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on my hands and the opponent. Pre-flop raise. If your opponent made the call when he can be k with top kicker. In the best case, too, ak. Either this is kq, kj, k10, jj, qq, and any pair of 66 to 1010 if he has an average stack. If he has a small stack of cash to then be followed by a raise re-raise with hands that are written above. If he has a big stack then it will play the call. Then on the flop I will make a raise to 50-75% of the bank. And whatever his call will not ev for him