Does your strategy change at all if involved in a knock out Tourney?

J

JohnnyBrasco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in my first knockout tourney on bovada last night. $15 dollar buy in $5 per knock out with 181 people participating. I finished 6th with 6 knock outs. A few times while big stack at the table I called small stacks all ins with spec hands hoping to get a favorable flop and knock them out. Although I am happy with how I finished I can't help but wonder if I would have went into the final table with a much bigger stack if I didn't chase the knock outs. What's your strategy for these?

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends really on the payout vs knockout bonus. some have the bonus at half the buy in, then you go for knockouts for sure and your game play will change a bit.

its a mix really, if you can afford to make a looser call for a bonus then you should probably take it.

if you think you have a great chance of winning the whole thing then id play to win rather than to knockout for bonus

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took part a couple of times in Knok-out tournaments, and need to say: really exciting and inspiring feelings I had.
I played something near my simple MTT Strategy, but I couldn't beat a lot of opponents (well that rescued price of buy-in with several knok-outs).
In poker stars there are a lot of similar tourneys with different buy-in. For the training I'd like to attempt tourneys till 3$
Buy the way, I want to know, what perfect time to play knok-out tourneys? When there are not so many players?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the price of knockout is substantially good in relation to buyin, I would chase it.

If not, I would continue my same style.

In your case above, knockout price is so good.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm all for going for the bounties, but I think once you get to the final table or two, you have to change your strategy. When the payjumps are worth more than the bounties, it's time to start playing your normal game.

Aceplayer55

Aceplayer55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars also has a progressive bounty where you should go for the win because the bounties towards the end are huge.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harder to get itm with this structures because less players are paid,but by playing tight and aggresive you could score some knock-out .

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. I used to play those on carbon, so fun. I played a small SNG 6 handed. $2 $5

Definitely played different, I went for the bounties.

D

dudu10grande

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These type of tournaments , the game is very aggressive , and a range of wide open hands , after all everyone will want his head , after all when you are short stacked .

G

girouxville

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Knock tournaments aren't my style. Slow and steady pays out best for me :D

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the KO bonus is good suree cuz you have to KO as many players you can thats why i suggest to play aggressive on good hands!

H

Halid68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing knockout s because i am playing satelites for knockouts with big buyins. And if i eliminate 1 i had a nice profit :)

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends. If it is a progressive knockout yes. At the late stages of the tourney the bounties are quite big. You should factor that into your decision. If the bounty is much lower than the buy in i don´t change my strategy at all.