Does your heart race at the final table?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not easy to make a lot of final tables when playing tournaments - so if your heart is racing I am sure you are not the only one who gets like that. :)

I do feel some excitement as I get closer to the top 3-4.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not easy to make a lot of final tables when playing tournaments - so if your heart is racing I am sure you are not the only one who gets like that. :)

I do feel some excitement as I get closer to the top 3-4.

Very Nice Debi.
I agree with you. In long tournaments where the payouts are higher, my heart beats much faster. However, in smaller Sit and Go 45, 90 or 360 players my heart is always calm. :)

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't feel in FT, but I feel every time I make a cooler or a very important move in the final stages of major tournaments.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I played my first freeroll and it was not money but chips that were played out, my hands were sweating with excitement. I was so worried.

It´s normal in begin.
Keep calm, cause soon y´ll have so much emotions yet.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My heart races in our homes games, playing on line, with a Zoom call running - playing for low stakes. On top of that, I tend to win - don't reckon I'm cut out to be a poker player!

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

yes
mine races at the final table
rgds

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every decision you make in poker is essentially fight or flight. It's easy to get your adrenaline going we've all done it.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If my heart races, even when I'm all in near the final table. It's hard to avoid this

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I was first playing poker that the first time getting to the final table or close to it, I was thinking oh my word is this really happening to me. Adrenaline kicks in and I know it happens to everyone when it's their first time. Just to put me in a spot of bother, I receive a monster hand like AA, KK, AKs or AKo I'm all in pre flop and go out from someone's lower cards. I go from wow to oh dear that is sad way to end my tournament.

Now that I've played plenty of poker for years and when I get to those situations again in tournaments, I am level headed and control my ego knowing there can be variance and tilt situations.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, It does race a little at the final table during big hands.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I was first playing poker that the first time getting to the final table or close to it, I was thinking oh my word is this really happening to me. Adrenaline kicks in and I know it happens to everyone when it's their first time. Just to put me in a spot of bother, I receive a monster hand like AA, KK, AKs or AKo I'm all in pre flop and go out from someone's lower cards. I go from wow to oh dear that is sad way to end my tournament.

Now that I've played plenty of poker for years and when I get to those situations again in tournaments, I am level headed and control my ego knowing there can be variance and tilt situations.

Nothing better than getting constant results to dominate the adrenaline. I confess that I am much calmer now!:D:D:D

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it does. At least to me, specially in bug field tournaments (+1K players). The bigger the tournament the longer the race ahah

Beachnick42

Beachnick42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Half The Time

Im mainly looking at stack sizes, the next ladder, and the clock..
My Heart starts racing when the dealer button comes around and I have 20BB or less. Fearing that I should of waited till next hand. lol

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say my excitement level is higher in the deeper stages of a tournament, but nothing too extreme to be honest. The most excitement I ever felt was making the final 150 (if memory serves me correct) of the Sunday Million, I don't remember what place I finished, but it was in that proximity. It was a thrill to be that deep, but at the same time, I didn't let my emotions get the better of me, and I just focused on playing my hands, and I was pleased with how well it went for me. Of course I was disappointed when I busted, but to make it THAT far in that large a field, I was more proud than anything.

Final tables are cool and all, but I don't really get too worked up anymore. It's always an honor of course to be at that point, but as I don't play for life changing money, it doesn't phase me as much.

Now....Final tabling a major online event (SCOOP, WCOOP, the current Bounty Builder, WPT, The Venom, or ANY Sunday Major on any site), that would be exciting. I suppose I'd be slightly less anonymous if I should ever be lucky enough to win one of those.

Last edited:
PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't done it often, but yes it beats more quickly and I do everything to tell myself that it's like another table, but though, it's different!

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the final table is like a holiday for me. I value this moment very much, because it is rare. All my concentration, even which is not left, goes to the final fight. :cool:

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's not like it races at any final table per se, but rather during certain hands/moves at final table.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the final table is like a holiday for me. I value this moment very much, because it is rare. All my concentration, even which is not left, goes to the final fight. :cool:

I just played a tournament for AC, my first tournament on this site. PLO 6 max. I finished in 3rd place. The heart was very calm. Also because it is a tournament that pays little. Happy to make it to another final table and soon to debut.:rock::rock:

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in online poker im calm 99% of the time, but in live poker i have adrenaline and strongest heartbeat ever even when i wins the spot

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes I am with others who say they are quite chilled at a final table.

I stress to make a cash, but once past the bubble play more relaxed then ladder and hit final tables at a rate I am happy with. However, I keep quite grounded.

I appreciate reaching a final table already (that's a combination of skill and a lot of luck already) but the final few places will come down inevitably to a coin flip. Flatter yourself all you want but it is generally a massive dose of luck - so I appreciate the final table and then surviving a few more places almost as much as the infrequent wins.