Do you slow play when close to the bubble burst?

Do you like to slow play when close to the bubble bursting?

• Yes! All the time! Like a boss!

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No, never, ever, ever!!!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Only if Im big stack so I can exploit the cripples!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • If Im small stack with a few below me due to go out

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Yes but only to tilt other players!

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something I run into more often that Id like!:rolleyes:
The blinds are high enough so I want to see hands quickly, hoping to score a monster before the next blind hike!:D
But then theres always one :congrats: who chooses to leave their timer run out for every..... single..... hand that they dont play.

In my understanding if one person on each table starts letting their timers run out then every table is just needlessly delayed with the blinds increasing for all.
So you are just driving the blinds up on yourself really & making your final table run harder, as the blinds will be higher than they needed to be?!
I wonder if I'm missing something? :confused:

I'd love to hear from people who use this strategy and why they find it beneficial? Maybe it's a part of your strategy to try & tilt the others? Rather than just hoping others will get blinded out before you??

And of course for the people like myself who can get annoyed by this move, feel free to leave your rant below :icon_thum
Please vote on the poll above so we can see some stats on this, thank you :)

Last edited:

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will use it and true, if all tables are doing it then there is no advantage, but if my table is the only one not to do it, than it is a disadvantage.

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will use it and true, if all tables are doing it then there is no advantage, but if my table is the only one not to do it, than it is a disadvantage.

Hey! Thanks for the reply :) So why do you see it as a disadvantage if your table is the only one not doing it? You would be seeing more hands than all the other tables at a cheaper price than you will be paying at the next blind hike. I understand its more likely a player from your table will go out next, if all other tables are slow playing but that isnt a disadvantage to you either really, once that player isnt you :D It would open up a seat at your table bringing in fresh blood or may even move you to a nicer table!

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only satellite tournament, this is the right move when you use time bank, everyone plays in such a way who short stack before bubble.

In a normal tournament does not make sense and it is not profitable, on the contrary need to play aggressively and build the stack when other players play passively.

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only satellite tournament, this is the right move when you use time bank, everyone plays in such a way who short stack before bubble.

In a normal tournament does not make sense and it is not profitable, on the contrary need to play aggressively and build the stack when other players play passively.

Yes my thoughts exactly Horizon, I dont see a long term benefit from it either but I run into in a quite a bit and it seems like once one starts doing it another one or two will jump on the bandwagon!:(

Dont forget to vote in the poll :)

D

donal mooney

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is small stacked but if I have a healty stack I try to bully the smaller stacks

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only with small stack just before the bubble, otherwise is not smart thing to do

pricechoppin

pricechoppin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to make a habit of slow playing near the bubble as I figure I will end up going out with a good hand regardless lolol like a nice pp will get beat by a bigger pair with the luck I have when ss So I tried to be patient and wait for mr bigg stack to take out the other small stacks and only play if I really feel I can win depending on whom I am against and positon.

juanchoak

juanchoak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think slow playing is a stupid thing sometimes if your near to the bubble almost all the time someone in your table does it because that player thinks other players in other tables are just playing a lot of hands when actually they are doing the same thing, it only reduces your chances of seeing and playing more hands.
I think slowplaying is a mediocre strategy.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's only a useful strategy if you're one of the potential bubble boys and literally only one or two eliminations from being in the money. Then, the point of playing slow is to see if other stacks bust, especially the ones shorter than you, so you know if you're in the money before you decide on your action. It can be a legitimate tactic to employ based on ICM considerations, but those cases are somewhat rare and generally it's just a stupid idea.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I'll slow play because I know some players know how to add pressure near the bubble. Those bets become aggressive and usually bluffing....so I let them think they have an opportunity to get me off the hand. I'll do whatever to maximize my profit

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something I run into more often that Id like!:rolleyes:
The blinds are high enough so I want to see hands quickly, hoping to score a monster before the next blind hike!:D
But then theres always one :congrats: who chooses to leave their timer run out for every..... single..... hand that they dont play.

In my understanding if one person on each table starts letting their timers run out then every table is just needlessly delayed with the blinds increasing for all.
So you are just driving the blinds up on yourself really & making your final table run harder, as the blinds will be higher than they needed to be?!
I wonder if I'm missing something? :confused:

I'd love to hear from people who use this strategy and why they find it beneficial? Maybe it's a part of your strategy to try & tilt the others? Rather than just hoping others will get blinded out before you??

And of course for the people like myself who can get annoyed by this move, feel free to leave your rant below :icon_thum
Please vote on the poll above so we can see some stats on this, thank you :)

ohhhhh but if you're talking about wasting time then nope, not me. I like to see who does this action to add more notes for the table. This slow play to waste time tells a lot about the player. I use that to my advantage

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i totally misunderstood the question until i read the post. I actually do use this strategy sometimes but its very unlikely that i do. In cases when i am really really close to the bubble i will do this because tables with all people above averaged stacks will continue to play at normal speed. The people with a few lower stacks at the table will inevitably have someone doing this, but the strategy is this...let someone who is big stacked get knocked out on a cooler hand. They happen all the time and especially to me it seems like when i am abv averaged stack and looks like im going to easily make the money, Then i run into flush over flush or boat over boat right near the bubble, its awful and then a small stack that has been wasting time every hand slides into the money. I will only do this if i am very close to the bubble with many others close to my stack and very low stacked. It has worked for me before and im sure ill use it again in online poker. Never in a live tourney would i do something so unprofessional. But yes it has worked and i use it very rarely.

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only do it if the tables are not playing "hand for hand", different sites play different. I wish they all played hand for hand at each pay raise !

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have done this only when im really low on chips and it is down to just a few players remaining before the bubble i have done this to give me more time for other players to knock each other out on other tables so i stand more of a chance to atleast make the money if the odds are against me of winning the tournament and it has worked out most of the time on other hand if im chip leader or have a decent amount of chips then i would not do this as it would start costing me more to play hands

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i have a short stack i might slowplay like most shortstack players, however if i have a big stack i dont think slowplaying is the best option because i can exploit players who have a small stack or medium stack, making them folding almost any hand because almost nobody with a low stack is willing to risk all their chips near the bubble unless they have a premiun hand like aq,ak, or a high pair ( tens or better)

W

winterttim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes my thoughts exactly Horizon, I dont see a long term benefit from it either but I run into in a quite a bit and it seems like once one starts doing it another one or two will jump on the bandwagon!:(

Dont forget to vote in the poll :)

I personally believe there is a time and a place to drag or not too. If you do have chips and our at a clock dragging table then exploit them.

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big bully

When i am a small stack and a i'm against a big bully who tries to get maximum pressure. I don't believe people with a small stack would bluff and when they have something might check it all the way down. So only against super aggressive players i recommend slow playing.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play agressively, most players like the slow play and will fold the most hands, the range decreases, you can make good moves even with a short stack.

D

DriftwoodKid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you mean, taking time off the clock,or slow play As is another thing. Small stack with no hand. Then the answer is yes. If I had , As I would go all in.

duckeyflop17

duckeyflop17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally dont slow play simply because i stick to my game plan as much as possible and if i havnt needed to change up my game plan prior to this, Why change now?