Do you like/ prefer deep stack tournaments?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like them more . because i feel deep stack tournaments have less luck factor and are more about skill . you can play more hands and have less time pressure where you have to push all in after a short time when you are card dead even though you have not played many hands yet . a

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
same for me, more time to play normal poker :)

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
more postflop reduces variance, if you have an edge over the field. Preflop decisions increment variance because more often is a confrontation between 60-40%,70-30%, 50-50,% etc. So, you can have edge preflop and postflop, but you have much more impact to realize this edge in postflop. For this reason I think is better deepstack games or normal games rather than hyperturbo, turbo.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I always like a tournament with a lot of play. It's more fun when you start with a couple hundred BB.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Stack size is secondary to me. The main thing for me is that the tournaments are not hyper or turbo format.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A deep stack allows me time to get some data on the other players at the table without the pressure to quickly build a stack.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the prize pool is the same, I prefer the faster standard format, it just lets me get more games in.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The stack size is the same for me. I think that the most important thing is the prize pool 😂

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I always love and support deep stack as it gives me the time to settle in and understand the players.
There is more calm and patience knowing that you have a lot of chips on hand.
Easy to recover after a bad beat and also can play for longer hours.

More advantages in my opinion.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m of two minds. In theory deep stack tournaments allow you to play more hands. In practice I find that folks either:

1) just bet (much) larger, or
2) play for any opening amount. I often see a number of limped/small opened hands with everybody just calling the small opening. Then all of a sudden somebody opens/raises huge preflop and still gets three or four callers.

People (NOT pros) have a mindset about certain hands (any big Ace, any suited small Ace, any pair, all broadway connectors, all suited connectors) and are going to see a flop come hell or high water.

Last edited:
najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Whether I give my opinion or not, I can point out that all important or major tournaments are played with a deep stack and slow format. I think that should mean something to real poker players. gambling and spin&go lovers might not understand....

C

chicomarvo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, deep stack privilegies those who played best. If you can play a lot of hands, a lot of flops, and you are a good player and have good plays you are winning more hands.
In turbo or hype-turbo you need to play in other ways, play a lot more pre-flop, a lot more of all-ins and more variance

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I particularly like the depp stack better, what's more, all the most important tournaments in the world are with the deep stack variant. It gives you more time to read players, you have more time at your table, you have fewer Bingo players, you will encounter all kinds of aggressive, passive, medium players, etc. A bad play of yours or a cool or bad beat or another situation that hurts you, you may have a chance to recover within the tournament. For my game it really has a lot of advantages
My regards, brother:):):)

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I like to play poker so yes I like deep stacks, more time to play the player and less flips. I play a lot of cash games generally so in tournaments I prefer deeps stacks and a different style!

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I like deep stack poker because of the aforementioned reasons as well :)

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'll mark this thread to read it later. Cause I don't know what to do with a deep stack. I play better with short-middle stacks.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for me deepstack is where I have more problems, players come in with more speculative hands and I have more difficulty analyzing the opponent's hand.
an AA causes me a lot of problems at the beginning of a tournament.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
i like them more . because i feel deep stack tournaments have less luck factor and are more about skill . you can play more hands and have less time pressure where you have to push all in after a short time when you are card dead even though you have not played many hands yet . a
Hi.
To be honest, it doesn't matter to me. For me, the main thing is the format and structure of the tournament. I never play in hyper tournaments, and I don't really like to play in turbo tournaments. I prefer slow tournaments where the blinds increase every 10-15 minutes. Therefore, the size of the stack is not particularly important to me.
Good luck.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I prefer the slower, deeper formats. Like you say, it reduces the luck % by giving you more time to play, navigate slow periods and figure out what more of your opponents are doing.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer deep stack tournaments because they allow us to decrease the chances of luck, i.e., they allow players to better plan their tactics in the tournament, and they also allow us to make mistakes sometimes without compromising the final result.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi.
To be honest, it doesn't matter to me. For me, the main thing is the format and structure of the tournament. I never play in hyper tournaments, and I don't really like to play in turbo tournaments. I prefer slow tournaments where the blinds increase every 10-15 minutes. Therefore, the size of the stack is not particularly important to me.
Good luck.
We share the same opinion regarding the speed of the tournament. I rarely play turbo or hyper-turbo tournaments. The exceptions are satellites that only offer this format. And there are also some offered by 888poker that allow many players to win a prize.