Do you ever question ability?

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's hard not to question your play when you are running bad. Especially in fixed limit games where the variance is even higher, those more and longer losing/breakeven stretches.

Generally I take some time off from playing (a day or two usually does the trick) if I feel I am playing poorly or the losing streak is causing me to play below my B game.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I question my ability and often find that I suck.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not the worst player around here but when I review a tourney or session I often find spots where I question myself who the hell can be playing so bad - and then its ME :eek: .

On the other hand I can be a great player too- cleaning up at the tables and making very good decisions through longer streaks of playing.

I really questioned my ability during february and march this year as I seemed to be unable to hit a barn with a shotgun.

Looking back now I can see some improvement in relation to what would have happened during that downswing 2 years ago as I started playing poker ... I would have tilted and gone broke.

So as you can see questioning your ability isn't a bad thing at all - even the "really" good players around here (not me :rolleyes:) question their ability or their mindset all the time.

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, i question my ability to stay within my means and not try to get rich in one night, your not going to get rich playing this game and i need to realize that, take the garanteed money when playing and be happy with that, quit chasing some pipe dream

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I often ??? my ability (not outloud in a crowded elevator though :p) & I hope I continue to do so...it's a driver for me to continually seek ways to improve my game whether it be review hands, read/review poker-related materials, discuss with the SO on how hands could have been better played (even if I win a pot, could I have gotten more chips if I had just tweaked my play a bit), etc...

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do question my ability sometimes when im on a losing streak. Then again i think i could go pro when im on a hot streak and beat anyone. I guess the mindset that you need to keep all the time at the table is a confident one and dont get down when things arent going your way and dont sit there and question your ability. Because deep down you realize you are a good player

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure... occasionally I win a little bit and start to think maybe I don't suck after all... then I drift back down to Earth.

MrHopeful

MrHopeful

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
question ones ability?

hmmm...I always question my decisions and will screen capture many hands throughout a mtt indexing them and making a quick note of my thgt process at time whether i win/lose hand

Then next day I look over hands and notes and think them through.

I find this helps me when similar situations occur as they have been 'imprinted' in head

does that make sense ???

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
question ones ability?

hmmm...I always question my decisions and will screen capture many hands throughout a mtt indexing them and making a quick note of my thgt process at time whether i win/lose hand

Then next day I look over hands and notes and think them through.

I find this helps me when similar situations occur as they have been 'imprinted' in head

does that make sense
???
You mean reviewing your play?? Makes total sense.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea, reviewing your play AND your opponents play(s) is great to sharpen your game.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea, reviewing your play AND your opponents play(s) is great to sharpen your game.
^^^^^^^this, yep, important too.....

to mr hopeful:
If you are relying on notes, make sure you are saving your hand history to your HD, and you can replay your hands if you have HEM or PT3. otherwise you can download this replayer for free (thanks to kmixer for link) and see exactly how the game went.
http://www.universal-replayer.net/

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^^^^^this, yep, important too.....

to mr hopeful:
If you are relying on notes, make sure you are saving your hand history to your HD, and you can replay your hands if you have HEM or PT3. otherwise you can download this replayer for free (thanks to kmixer for link) and see exactly how the game went.
http://www.universal-replayer.net/

Thank you for this link.

Downloading now. ;)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this link.

Downloading now. ;)

My pleasure.

p.s
It is also really helpful in determining the exact times to put that old AF J rag theory into play..........:D

FOLD THOSE ACES.....
oooops, wrong thread.....

MrHopeful

MrHopeful

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont mention trackers to me .....tried to download HEM a number of times but always found a technical/(stupid user) glitch !!

I am not the most savvy with these things and still rely on old pen and paper and player notes

If I do find something 'interesting' about a player after the event I will search them out and add the note :)

someday soon i will devote a whole day and get a tracker downloaded