Do you adjust your range in a 6 max MTT?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I find I have joined a 6-max MTT (yes, I often don't realize it was a 6 max until after I clicked) I jump right in and start playing without thinking. After a few hands I wake up and start thinking about widening my opening range at a 6 player table. It seems, though, that other folks don't. The tight players are still folding at what appears to be a normal rate. Do you find you play the 6 max tables the same as the 9 handed games?

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes your range should be much wider. Just for the blinds alone you should open up, because otherwise they'll eat you up.

And because at a 6max table the hands out there are going to be weaker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do play more hand when I play a 6 max table vs a 9 handed game. I do understand what you mean about some people also playing to tight and not adjusting to the different size tables. I think it just comes down to some people are just very conservative in general and will always play a tight game no matter what. Hell, I have seen people at the final 3 or a tournament still playing only about 8-12% of hand and just blinding away waiting for a good hand.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You absolutely must adjust to 6-max... Stealing in the right spot is key. It happens way more 6-handed.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely, and I am not a big fan of 6max but if you want to play cash its the only game in town anymore.

As far as the MTT adjustments I make is I never limp except from the SB when trapping.

From any position I open any suited broadway and any suited Ace, off suited A8 or better.

I am a little more reserved about calling a raise from out of position without a 9+ kicker with my ace if I am not suited.

From late position it doesnt matter if they are suited or not and I have a wide range of any pair, any B'way, any Ace.

I dunno if my play is proper or not and would appreciate input.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must make your range a bit wider, something I'm not that good in.
That's why I avoid 6-max :)

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, 'cause in a 6-max table there's no Early Position/EP, so I usually open a loose range considering that I'm already in Middle Position/MP.

D

Dsqtq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6m is faster than 9m. It is a reason why you need to adjust your hand and be more aggressive because you will lose you stack on blinds

IraiseThePot

IraiseThePot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My range is a lot wider and I prefer 6max a lot more than 9max due to my history with HU.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont play 9 like 6 max and also 6 or 9 snap ( zoom ) change strategy. I think i play good zoom ( snap ) 🙄

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Range should be much wider...but utg1 its always premium hand...co end button must be wider...end you should 3 bet more ofen:D

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play 6max MTT I tend to play alot more hands , which mostly depends on how others (up to 5 players) play . If I encounter table with 5 regs , I play more aggressive , if I encounter table with 5 fishes I play more tight , and if its in the middle like it usually is , then u adjust ! ;)

After all its just a game with its rules , learn the rules , bet size , your opponents , learn to fold big hands on missed flops as well as not getting into "war" with anyone , it could cost you your stack very easily , just play and enjoy your game and make the best of it :)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, when the news came out I started to investigate about the new form of poker that is being implemented since yesterday, I must say that it is difficult for me to make those adjustments, I am a NL Holdem player and adjusting my range has not been easy for me, but I will keep trying but in my first attempt I must say that it was not the best

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I do. But also when this can affect my game, I usually also know that when I'm in a pot my opponents are playing a wider range, so I may be stronger with my hands.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not play 6max, but I think that the range should be a little wider. Opponents less, which means that the chances of the flop more.