Disability getting in my way when playing tournaments

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been realizing that one of the biggest ailments of my tournament game is that I can't go on very long runs because I can't feed myself. This also hurts me when events start around meal times. All of the freeroll sites i play on do not have mobile Apps, and i can never get full when I try to wolf something down before a session. I've also tired to get a big stack early and then have my mother feed me quickly while i sit out. Please help!

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you are grinding freerolls, since they are far and few as it is, there isn't much you are going to be able to do about it. It sounds to me like maybe cash (ring) games and/or sit n go's may be better suited for your situation.. In cash games you simply can sitout whenever you need to, giving you time to eat. And sit n go's don't last as long as normal MTT's (freerolls) so you would be able to eat in between games.. Again, if you have no funds on any sites and can only play freerolls, my advice doesn't help much. But it is really the only alternative you have in terms of being in control of your session times. Best of luck on the felts.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i would try games with smaller fields and maybe write up a schedule to make things a bit clearer.

I have to follow a strict physical schedule/regime everyday due to a crushed/damaged nerve in my transversal vertebrae.

Long story short ... I had to change my whole life to fit poker back into it.
It has taken years and really helped me to balance everything accordingly.

All the best and hope you find a solution.

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could eat in the tournament break. 10minutes break + 10minutes sitout and done i guess :) or you could eat near your PC. I play on pokerstars so i move on my mobile sometimes when i eat and i'm in a big tournament.

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like you are grinding freerolls, since they are far and few as it is, there isn't much you are going to be able to do about it. It sounds to me like maybe cash (ring) games and/or sit n go's may be better suited for your situation.. In cash games you simply can sitout whenever you need to, giving you time to eat. And sit n go's don't last as long as normal MTT's (freerolls) so you would be able to eat in between games.. Again, if you have no funds on any sites and can only play freerolls, my advice doesn't help much. But it is really the only alternative you have in terms of being in control of your session times. Best of luck on the felts.

Believe me If I had the funds, I would play cash since i am much better at it

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it will be hard to balance those long mtts right if that all you can play.
Me personally. I dont play poker unless i know i can finish the day i started.
I had to grind away for a while at the start of my poker life, but after years of putting it all together properly, i ended up with a bankroll that supports what i want to play and not what i have to play.

Heres hoping that you can build your bankroll just so you can choice the time you can play.

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u wont miss a lot if u sit out a couple off blinds . blinds raise usually every 10 or 15 minutes, so u got 20 to 30 mins

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

All you need is $80 and you're rolled for 2NL cash games online. You can even play with a $40 roll if you believe you're a winning player, since variance tends to be quite low at 2NL, due to the opponents being so weak and passive.

As for the food issue, how often do you usually eat? I often work a 6-8 hour shift and eat nothing during my shift because it will be so busy that I simply won't have time to take a break, sit back and eat food. I get hungry but I survive. Is it possible for you to just ignore your hunger for a few extra hours if you make the final few tables of an MTT? Or do you urgently require food at specific times of the day?

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All you need is $80 and you're rolled for 2NL cash games online. You can even play with a $40 roll if you believe you're a winning player, since variance tends to be quite low at 2NL, due to the opponents being so weak and passive.

As for the food issue, how often do you usually eat? I often work a 6-8 hour shift and eat nothing during my shift because it will be so busy that I simply won't have time to take a break, sit back and eat food. I get hungry but I survive. Is it possible for you to just ignore your hunger for a few extra hours if you make the final few tables of an MTT? Or do you urgently require food at specific times of the day?

since i was born on a feeding tube, im used to always being full

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been realizing that one of the biggest ailments of my tournament game is that I can't go on very long runs because I can't feed myself. This also hurts me when events start around meal times. All of the freeroll sites i play on do not have mobile apps, and i can never get full when I try to wolf something down before a session. I've also tired to get a big stack early and then have my mother feed me quickly while i sit out. Please help!

Would it help to play on sites that have mobile access, like Full Tilt and Pokerstars?

J

jpalumbos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a very easy solution to this, and I use it all the time.

There's an App called "TeamViewer" that lets you see and control your PC from your smartphone. It takes a little getting used to but I use it on my Droid Mini without any problems.

On your PC, go to their website and download and install the full version of their software. Have the software running all the time on your PC. Then download the app to your phone.

I play on JuicyStakes pretty regularly using this when I need to be away from my PC.
Good luck with this.
--JMP

J

jpalumbos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, you need to be aware that TeamViewer tend to use a lot of battery and data, so keep an eye out for that.
-JMP

C

charls8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you may take in count the total time you have to play poker, if you dont have enough time you should play a sit and go game if you preffer to play tournament, personally preffer to play TT than play cash game

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you on a strict schedule? Would it be possible to eat earlier to play at a specific time? Or eat at a specific time and play a later game?

Do you only play freerolls?

What are the tournament buy-ins you feel comfortable playing?

What cash game buy-in do you play?