Defending big blind

xliuksasx

xliuksasx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
How would you defend your big blind? I was quite interesting to read this article https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/888poker-5-tips-on-defending-the-big-blind-45258.htm
I liked the idea of 3-betting in this article and how it was explained.
You'll be three-betting less against an early position raiser since you'll be up against a stronger set of hands. When you face an opponent from late positions, they can be playing more hands since there are fewer people left to beat. This allows you to three-bet more often since you are against a weaker range.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I liked the idea of 3-betting in this article and how it was explained.
I also read the article and found it interesting, but if we talk about Cardschat freerolls or even at lower levels, this 3bet from BB most of the time will not pass, considering that we are generally playing against beginner players who have no idea of range and position, only look at the value of your hand, and will call with any two cards to get it right.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I like to 3 bet only if my hand is really strong... Otherwise, I don't think it is worth the risk. I don't see the point of investing in a bad hand. I understand the theory behind it, but when you find out the button has a strong hand... It is too costly.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Depends on the table. I definitely do consider three betting with a wider range here.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't normally play that range of cards and you don't have experience playing or the knowledge then you probably shouldn't defend your blinds that much.

And if you're using something like poker tracker or something that I don't use, lol, even I know there is a certain percentage of hands to defend that players aim for but perhaps a more informed online player can help you with that part.

You can also create a strategy against ppl that defend their blinds too much or when the SB gets too aggressive but Ill let you think of that, lol.

Either way, ppl that defend their blinds too much are similar to ppl that play too many hands in my opinion. If you have the experience to play that way and can make it work, great but if you can't, then go with the easier approach.

GL on your poker journey!