Curiosities

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you what I encountered today, since it was quite interesting and makes me wonder how some people are playing poker.

I saw in a freeroll a brazilian guy being kicked out like this:

He goes all-in, everyone folds accept russian player, brazil guy has AKo, russian guy has 67s

Board gives russian player a set of 6. Here my first question - would you call an all-in (russian guy was chiplead, brazil guy was UTG) with 67s in this case?

Next, i was kicked out by same guy :saint:, this time like this: I was quite low on chips (900) he had some more (4000) and calls my all-in. He has KTo, and I'm with QJs. Guy wins with pair of tens. - Can you relate to the move of calling all-in with KTo?

Then, I'd like to hear from you, what about raising from UTG with QTo? This was also a move I encountered today from another player, now I'm wondering, for me this would have been too loose to raise from UTG, but then, success proves him right, so would you agree that raise QTo from UTG is a good move?

For those of you interested: this last move made me lose as well, I had a fullhouse (JJJQQ), guy had a stronger fullhouse (QQQJJ). Quite some bad beats today :saint::saint::eek:.

Cheers

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your post lacks some needed details to allow for a great answer. You pushed in 900 chips is great but what were the blinds? QJs under the gun in not a hand I would push there very often. If the blinds were 22/40 I would say it was not a wise push but in the blinds were 200/400 its a snap push. As for the Russian player again its about the stacks to blinds ratio. If the blinds were 200/400 its a snap call.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Board gives russian player a set of 6. Here my first question - would you call an all-in (russian guy was chiplead, brazil guy was UTG) with 67s in this case?
I think that this ^^ play is normal in a freeroll.

Can you relate to the move of calling all-in with KTo?
How many big blinds was the all-in for? What positions? Did the Villain already have money in the pot? Many factors go into what play to make

Then, I'd like to hear from you, what about raising from UTG with QTo?
In general QTo from UTG is too loose BUT - was the table soft? There could be a reason for this play.

Everything in poker depends on the information and scenarios there is not a right/wrong answer of a way to play each time. Every hand is different.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Casual freerolls (not the ones from Cardschat where much lower numbers play) are for many players just a waste of time. There are so many people playing over such a small prize pool that it will take a lot of luck and hours to get into the money which will be very small anyway. This is why many people play freerolls ultra aggresively hoping to double or triple in short time which gives them bigger chance for the money or they just get busted quickly and not waste time at all. Therefore you may expect many players to play this way or even go all-in with first hand they get. It becomes more interesting when most of them busts out.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Delfino say, you can not expect everyone to attempt to play "perfect" poker in a freeroll, because some people value their time more than the small prices at stake. This is why, you see some people be very aggressive and try to dubble up quickly fulling knowing, they are not a favourite to win a "flip" with 65 offsuit. At the other end of the spectrum some people sit out the entire tournament hoping to get lucky, when they are forced all in for their last chips and score a small cash that way without any other effort than registrering.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

That is why I like cardschat community - you get a totally new perspective on things! Even though so obvious, I was not thinking that some people do not want to play poker perfectly, but all they want is to stackup quickly. I always assume other players know what they do and play properly.

Thanks again for this eye opener!:beer::beer:

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually these players have a very simple logic. They will not calculate the probability of a particular card falling out, their math is simple, it all comes down to a coinflip, or their hand will win or lose, that is, 50-50. :D

Especially if a tournament for several thousand people and with a fairly rapid growth of blinds and prizes a little can justify any game if suddenly it gives a result, even if it is short-term.:)