Blinds: 3/15/30
9 handed sng

UTG(t1338) limps
UTG+1(t1848)limps
Hero(t1488) limps from MP1 w/9sTs.
BTN(t1665) limps
SB(t1458) folds
BB(t1488) checks.

Before anyone says "why the hell are you limping from MP1?!?!!? Suited connectors are for multi way pots in LATE position!! Someone could have raised and pushed you off the hand!"
Play is generally passive and limpy at these levels so whether I limp from EP or LP, I'm not too concerned about getting raised and there are already 2 people in the pot. If more limp behind(which I often expect), even better. If I completely miss the flop, I'm glad to easily get away from my hand with minimal investment.

Flop: Js Qc Qh
pot(t195)
BB checks
UTG checks
UTG+1 min donkbets for t30 making the pot t225
Hero calls(7to1 with an open ended straight draw and backdoor flush. Deal!)
BB and UTG call as well making the pot t285
BTN folds

Turn: 8s
BB checks
UTG checks
UTG+1 checks
Hero bets t160(Lets extract value from all those Qx and Jx hands that feel comfortable)
BB calls
UTG calls
UTG+1 folds

River: 5s
BB checks
UTG checks
Hero bets 400
BB shoves(t1265)
UTG folds
Hero calls

Villain shows Qs8d(Queens full of eights)

When villain shoved, I knew he had a queen. AQ, KQ, QT, or any Qx would play like this. If he had a higher flush, so be it. Did I get unlucky that he happened to hit his boat or did I put myself in an unnecessary, marginal situation early in the tournament?

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the winner showing up with Q8 is an argument against your limping theory. If play is "passive and limpy" you should be exploiting it, not joining the limp train. I am going to have to vote you put yourself in an unnecessary, marginal situation early in the tournament on this one.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the winner showing up with Q8 is an argument against your limping theory. If play is "passive and limpy" you should be exploiting it, not joining the limp train. I am going to have to vote you put yourself in an unnecessary, marginal situation early in the tournament on this one.

This is a good point.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't exploit a table full of limpers unless you get dealt cards or you want to play in really big pots. So limping along is a great idea with such hands at this blind level. Once blinds get past 25/50 you want to be cutting limping out alot more unless you are in the blinds, and look to raise or jam it in preflop to pick up dead money.

The fact that we got coolered here is not the point, it should be totally profitable at this blind level to limp a hand like T9s here, just like it would be fine to limp a hand like 66 or JT in the hopes of hitting a big flop for a cheap price to try and stack someone.

For all the times he shows up with Q8 here, he will show up with trips or even a strong two pair hand here, we would stack him, take his chips and ya'll would probably think the OP played it great.

I'd like to know how we are going to exploit a table full of limpers without getting decent cards? And without playing overly big pots postflop that put us at more risk of losing chips?

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator