Controlling the pot in the led.

D

Davud105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I was ranked first in a tourney last night, with a 25% lead over 2nd. I placed 23rd. It was late in the game too. My question is, how do I get in on pots with positive EV, but not raise the pot so much I may lose my rank. Most of my bets weren't horrible, but maybe timed wrong.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ranking does not matter in the middle of a poker tournament. The goal is to be first at the end, that's it, doesn't matter how you get there. Just to be first in a tournament wire to wire is very hard to do. Sure when you have a big stack it's easier to make certain moves and run various multi street bluffs, but you have to be smart about it. Pick the right opponents to bluff, but more importantly a big stack will give you the opportunity to wait for better hands.

D

Davud105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point. That said, with 3000 in the pot vs a 8000 stack, it's hard avoiding risky all ins. I want to raise, but not trigger all ins. That was more my question.i ts hard to raise that pot without going all in.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being In the lead gives u time on ur side to study and take notes of players get are involved in a lot of pots, and let u decide who to isolate in pots. Use position to your advantage, but don't bully to many short stacks or your facing all in decisions, as people are going to try to double through you.

J

jhewitt276

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
black chip poker

I was doing great on punta cana freeroll and then my mom asked if I was done with poker tourney I told her no and kinda felt bad she wanted to play farm town so I went all in I think I was 21 out of 92 left and I lost so I figured if I doulbled up on A J I would keep playing but I lost and let her play farm town lol have a nice day

D

Davud105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Makes sense Paul. Just buy my time and call or check raise someone on a strong hand in position. That helps a lot.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are looking at this all wrong. Never get wrapped up in chip ranking in a tournament, it leads to bad decisions. You may overplay things like AK and lay down hands like 66 that should be played in the situation.

I've been chip leader late and lost tournaments, been the short stack and won them. With that in mind, my first priority is making it level to level. I need to make it from 36 to 27 to 18 to 9. You can't win a tournament if you aren't at the final table.

The only time chip rank really matters is when there is no one left and you are #1. Aside from that, stay ahead of the blinds and play good poker.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have the big stack, I can still collect some blinds, but if I usually bet after the flop and if I don't hit I let it go. Definitely, you would want to have a more selective starting hand and pay attention to position and who has bet before you. Try not to get in big pots unless you have a monster. Don't chase a draw. But I could be wrong....

D

Davud105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay. So position doesn't matter, but EV does. Just make plays that win regardless of rank.

P

Paranoi6

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I was ranked first in a tourney last night, with a 25% lead over 2nd. I placed 23rd. It was late in the game too. My question is, how do I get in on pots with positive EV, but not raise the pot so much I may lose my rank. Most of my bets weren't horrible, but maybe timed wrong.

hi Davud105,

when you get a chip lead in the early phase go for analysing the opponents and his ranges which helps in keeping the stack consistent otherwise the limpers may take advantage out of you to double themselves up, stick and focus on the same scenario on playing TAG and avoid calling short stacks all ins with A 9 and A 9- hands, as the short stack mostly shove with a premium hand though we get greedy with KQ off too sometimes :D, try to take advantage with the off and suited connectors in the middle phase if you are in top 10.

The following hands have to be ignored againt huge all ins on PS as i feel(opinions may differ)
AJ.A10,1010,99-
KJ,KQ,K10 (off and suited)

Best of luck at the tables.:smokin:

D

Davud105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That helps. I generally play tag. I sometimes call kq which is a mistake. If they gave ak it puts you in a bad spot.